RGIS Reviews

Updated 26 April 2015
496 reviews filtered by
2.5
John Ling

Pros
  • flexible hours and days you offer your availability days nights weekends (in 26 reviews)

• If you dont want to work full time but you have flexible schedule this is a perfect job for you (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Management plays favorites, long hours, no respect, people they hire are lowest of the low (in 17 reviews)

• Twice we stood around for 2 hours with nothing to do and this was at 2am on the weekend (in 13 reviews)

1. Flexible working hours with overseas travel

I have been working at RGIS part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours with overseas travel optional

Cons

No guarantee of hours

2. Exhausting, maddening, and unpredictable, but the work is easy.

Former Contractor - Inventory Specialist in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Contractor - Inventory Specialist in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at RGIS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you've got decent motor skills and some spare energy, stocktaking is an easy job to get good at. Being given targets to hit and feedback, with the possibility of promotion at least to higher counter levels is a decent incentive. Better counters are better respected, get easier and more hospitable places to count in, are offered more work and get a small pay rise. Be cool and don't slack off like basically everyone around you, and you'll get better at it, even if the numbers the top guns are getting seem crazy to you at first. As a gamer, I got a bit of a grinding, 'level up' incentive out of it that made the job a bit more bearable.
    Even if you do slack off, the job is easy. It's just counting using a simple machine.
    They drive you to the job, there and back, if you want, so no expenses there, and travel time is included in your pay. You get very cheap cafeteria fry-ups in the supermarkets too, though personally I prefer cold food to work on.
    Downtime is also paid. If you take their lifts, you're paid from the moment they pick you up to the moment they set you down again.
    It's quick part-time work that requires little skills or experience, with high employee turnover. If you want to work and don't much care how, go for it. It's a pretty good way to measure how much you value your money, time and welfare without much commitment. In that sense, it serves a purpose. There are lots of negatives to this job, it's very easy to hate, but it is bearable.
    There's room to move up to management levels; I saw a lot of movement and people being given different new responsibilities during my short time there..though I'm not sure why you'd want to if you're capable of this.

Cons

Generally very unpredictable. My favourite jobs were when I was sent to Tescos because they were strictly timetabled and pretty much all the same, but god help you if you're sent to a Matalan with 7 other people. You'll be there for a full 16 hours and leave haggard with aching shoulders from reaching up.
    Those handy lifts I mentioned? They're pretty reliable at picking you up, and downright despicable at bringing you back. The end of the count was always the slackers racing to finish their areas and jump onto one of the vans while the good workers who actually finish the job are left waiting for another 2 hours because one van left with only 4 people in it or something.
    Your bosses are often the kind of people who don't need sleep. Heck, some of them are even proud of it. This means they have the potential to be antsy, snappy, threatening and rude.
    Remember, this job requires next to no skills. This means you'll encounter people from all walks of life- including a few buttheads and delinquents, guaranteed. If you're insecure and don't think you can deal with schoolyard bullies again, you might want to reconsider. There's a lot of people who work this kind of job that are generally quite disgusting, even when they're nice enough people. Don't count on the management to do things.
    The nature of the job is exhausting. If you take every job and make yourself fully available, you might have a 3 day burst on 5 hours sleep at one point. It'll throw your sleep schedule all over the shop until you're not sure if you have one any more, particularly if you have commitments during the daytime at other points in the week.

Advice to Management

Bugging people by sending emails saying, "yea um get those numbers up guys" does nothing but annoy your employees. Structured, regular feedback is much better. Otherwise, I have no idea how you're going to improve standards with such a low bar for entry.

3. Rgis inventory specialist

Current Employee - Inventory Auditor in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Inventory Auditor in Manchester, England

I have been working at RGIS

Pros

Good salary £7.50, friendly environment

Cons

Poor working hours usually between 12-3am to 12-2pm

A waste of your time effort and money.

Current Employee - Auditor in London, England
    Current Employee - Auditor in London, England

I have been working at RGIS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for RGIS. The region I worked (D778) for is a complete shambles.

Cons

You'd be better off breaking rocks on a chain gang.

The first thing you notice about RGIS are the number of 'foreign' staff. The management tends to be Asian and the lower level employees are mostly Eastern European. This is not a racist observation, it is a cultural one - and a warning - only those in certain economic positions will put up with the treatment they are about to receive.

It takes about 2 minutes to work out why staff turnover is so high.

My first day on the job my supervisor said "If you're finished, boy. Go downstairs." I'm 50 years old . . . the conversation did not end well.

But to demonstrate how inept the local management are we need to go back to the beginning: I turned up at the first location to work . . . after 2 hours of waiting and messing around, I was eventually sent home because I didn't have a uniform or an official I.D. (They had not provided me with one). 2hrs travelling + 2 hrs Waiting, £5.60 in transport costs - compensation - nil.

Attempt 2. (6 weeks later ). After being provided with ID and unform I arrived at another venue. The barcode on my ID badge was not recognised but they claimed they'd log me on manually. 7 hours later I asked for a break and was told I didn't need one - the count would be finished soon.

2 weeks later. Yay! Payday!

Amount deposited into my bank account - nil!

Contacted head office. Apparently I'd only started yesterday and there was no way I could have worked two weeks ago.

I'm not accusing them of fraud. I can see what has happened. They're just incompetent.

Advice to Management

Invest some of the budget spent on staff recruitment on staff retention. Promote staff to management and supervisory positions on management and supervisory skills rather than their stock counting speed.

Awful, awful, just plain awful

Current Employee - Inventory Auditor in London, England
    Current Employee - Inventory Auditor in London, England

I have been working at RGIS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will be hired if you have a pulse

Cons

awful hours, awful pay, awful working conditions, awful equipment, awful managers and awful co-workers

Advice to Management

mean spirited company

7. Worked at RGIS

I have been working at RGIS

Pros

Not a single pro about this job.

Cons

Terrible pay, terrible incompetent management, terrible equipment, terrible hours, terrible coworkers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do your job.

8. Assistant Team Leader, Sheffield

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Sheffield, England

I worked at RGIS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Pay starts after one hours of you start travelling for work , people who cant stand for more time there is no facility for you to sit and work. Pay increase is average

Advice to Management

Good strategy but employees should be will informed about it rather being embarassed in front of customer

9. Experience building yet stressful.

I worked at RGIS

Pros

Simple to master, repetitive, £7ph, store variety lends more experience and co-workers are dead on.

Cons

High maintenance, not for the faint hearted, none-social working hours, unsteady weakly work, especially boring, and £7ph isn't worth the work.

Advice to Management

Management are (mostly) understanding to the auditors and get along well with us all.

10. Good

I have been working at RGIS part-time

Pros

Flexible hours for the shift.

Cons

Sometimes the work involves lifting heavy stuffs which is tiring.

11. Never Again

Former Employee - Inventory Auditor in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Inventory Auditor in Birmingham, England

I worked at RGIS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

never in the same place ...rate of pay is ok

Cons

Unfriendly people, unqualified management , its just an Indian boys club, you never know when your day will end , long hours before break usually 6 hours. sexist and racist environment.

Advice to Management

get some people skills....learn how to communicate with non Indian speaking staff.Stop being racist and sexist