Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments(in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon(in 10 reviews)

Great company culture. Emphasis on delivering great service to customers by engaging workforce effectively.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat atmosphere in the office and interesting product. An awesome board who are very hands on across the business globally - setting a clear vision for the business.

ConsBecause of company culture, individual performance is not managed effectively. There is a feeling that old 'Rackers' are preferred over newcomers. As there is not a culture of directness, politics can creep in somewhat. Great board, but senior management can be average - not setting clear direction, making difficult calls and often too inexperienced outside of the Rax to understand where things need to be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a great culture of meritocracy. Don't be so willing for Rackers to discount the experience of newcomers as 'not the Rackspace way'. Get your leadership team to ocus more on execution, focus on a priorities and stop them pontificating.

Excellent culture, low salary

Team Lead (Current Employee) London, England

ProsRackspace has some pretty cool CORE values and most of the employees believe in them. The company has excellent culture and working environment. Rackspace is very stable company in the market and growing fast.

ConsPoor salary when it comes to internal promotion or movement. Sometimes people get promotion based on who they know rather than what they can do.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not loose the culture or environment to make the company big.

Fast paced learning environment

Sales (Current Employee) London, England

ProsTrue friends and family culture, never boring, everyday brings a new challenge, loads of opportunity

ConsInternal systems are not integrated makes sales and support jobs difficult and is reflected in the customer experience

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the culture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good and fun place to work - if you like to have fun rather than work

Linux Systems Administrator I (Former Employee) London, England

ProsFriendly, approachable people and managers. Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs. Company budget for team fun activities, shooting with "nerf guns", office decorations are allowed, free breakfast, game room, modern building, own canteen. It's like a comedy theatre. You won't get lost if you want to combine work with fun. In fact, you'll find lots of new friends if you blend in. Fast moving, stressed environment, work is heavily ticket-based. Depends on the segment but in my team the difficulty and challenges of work was given, which I appreciated. Internal trainings, opportunity to gain professional certifications. Unlike with others, my compensation was good compared to my experience, it was an acceptable market rate.

ConsLots of managers, one-sided thinking, very little discipline and harmony, hard to find real smart geeks. It's a start-up that has grown large too quick! If you're into technologies and desire to learn and improve your career, e.g. reading mailing lists, participate in R&D, plan to prepare speeches on conferences, this is not your place to be! The environment does not allow you to focus, in fact, you will squander focus. Lack of well-defined standards and processes. Unprofessional environment, difficult to find people who are real techies and willing to teach you or improve your skills. Too much emphasis on the "fun" element, therefore taking away attention from your profession. I left the monkey theatre after two months...

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to get the good people and catch up on industry giants, take tighter grip on employees, improve work morale. Take back on employee freedom, tighten the leash. Invest more into R&D.

"Small time" company.

Business Analyst III (Former Employee) London, England

Pros-Diversity (I never worked in a company with so many different skills).
    -Good installations.
    -Flexibility(We can work from home).
    -This is a good company to search for your "real job".

Cons-No business plan.
    -No career.
    -The senior managers are utter rubbish.
    -Their pay is very,very low.
    -Obsession with amazon.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor God's sake, spent some money, and hire some decent managers instead of sales persons.
    Or sale the company to someone that knows what is doing.

Started off good but once you peer through the veil things become clearer.

Lead Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsSome genuinely nice and very intelligent people.

ConsVery very poor support setup used to manage customers and their solution.

Fanatical support means basically fumbling your way through things until it is eventually fixed or done.

The company has grown far to quickly without adapting to the enterprise market and is too reliant on the "fanatical support" gimmick to get through issues. It is basically a toddler wearing mummies shoes walking in the enterprise market.

Over worked, job role which isn't clearly defined and is often over sold to candidates - great if you drink the company kool-aid not great if you can see the company for what it actually is a start up which has grown too quickly and can't adapt to a changing market.

Clueless management who are not technical and lack key skills in leading a technology company. The company uses a water fall model where it constantly rains from the top through various layers of management to the people who actually do the work. Some management layers are totally unjustified and add to the employees already over burdened workloads.

Genuinely far too expensive and it is a struggle to justify the costs to customers - "value proposition" is a buzz phrase which basically means try and convince the customers we aren't that expensive.

Far to focused on the financial aspect of things which is over burdening support teams who constantly have to keep track of customer spend for management above them.

Progression in your chosen role can either be easy or a complete farce where you have to jump through hoops to tick boxes in order to possibly get promoted for a role you deserve after you pass a two hour interview - not really any incentive when candidates can walk in to more senior roles at competitors for a better salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the company get rid of the layers and layers of management. Some of the managers are clueless and create more problems then they solve.

Amazing, open minded people and clear vision.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsCulture, personal development time, open-source projects, informal lifestyle, work hard on challenging projects

ConsI do not see any cons at the moment. Everything is great here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on sharing updates, goals and vision

Enjoying it great place work keep the Culture!

Support Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGood people to work with, exposure to different types of technology and they really invest on training and career development for employees. Great place to progress your career

ConsWe need keep up with the big cloud computing companies

A fun place to work for those in the early stages of their career.

Linux Administrator (Former Employee) Hayes, England

ProsExcellent Training
    Fun place to work
    Excellent building & facilities
    Nice people
    Stable company

ConsVery low salary in comparison to other companies
    Horrible location. Barely commutable by car or by train
    Very Cheesy & false environment
    A lot of Micro Managing
    Is more like a big call centre than a technical support company

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more money
    Move into The City
    Keep brainwashing the younger staff but just be down to earth with the seasoned adults.
    Less Micromanaging. People want to get on with their jobs.

Skilled staff want to get paid more and customer want to pay less. Stop deterring skilled staff by under paying them and start winning larger customers by offering well priced solutions with greater flexibility and functionality to compete with other providers. Stop valuing Fanatical Support so highly as customers and staff get bored of it.

You have some excellent people in senior management but from middle management downwards, it starts to fall off.

Great Culture

Sales Representative (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe best part of Rackspace is their employees (Rackers).
    You have full freedom to do whatever you want in the company, there is full transparency in the company and all the senior level management listen to the views of the employees.

ConsNot the best in the market for good salary for sales job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good work.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!