Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Started off good but once you peer through the veil things become clearer.

Lead Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsSome genuinely nice and very intelligent people.

ConsVery very poor support setup used to manage customers and their solution.

Fanatical support means basically fumbling your way through things until it is eventually fixed or done.

The company has grown far to quickly without adapting to the enterprise market and is too reliant on the "fanatical support" gimmick to get through issues. It is basically a toddler wearing mummies shoes walking in the enterprise market.

Over worked, job role which isn't clearly defined and is often over sold to candidates - great if you drink the company kool-aid not great if you can see the company for what it actually is a start up which has grown too quickly and can't adapt to a changing market.

Clueless management who are not technical and lack key skills in leading a technology company. The company uses a water fall model where it constantly rains from the top through various layers of management to the people who actually do the work. Some management layers are totally unjustified and add to the employees already over burdened workloads.

Genuinely far too expensive and it is a struggle to justify the costs to customers - "value proposition" is a buzz phrase which basically means try and convince the customers we aren't that expensive.

Far to focused on the financial aspect of things which is over burdening support teams who constantly have to keep track of customer spend for management above them.

Progression in your chosen role can either be easy or a complete farce where you have to jump through hoops to tick boxes in order to possibly get promoted for a role you deserve after you pass a two hour interview - not really any incentive when candidates can walk in to more senior roles at competitors for a better salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the company get rid of the layers and layers of management. Some of the managers are clueless and create more problems then they solve.

A fun place to work for those in the early stages of their career.

Linux Administrator (Former Employee)
Hayes, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent Training
Fun place to work
Excellent building & facilities
Nice people
Stable company

ConsVery low salary in comparison to other companies
Horrible location. Barely commutable by car or by train
Very Cheesy & false environment
A lot of Micro Managing
Is more like a big call centre than a technical support company

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more money
Move into The City
Keep brainwashing the younger staff but just be down to earth with the seasoned adults.
Less Micromanaging. People want to get on with their jobs.

Skilled staff want to get paid more and customer want to pay less. Stop deterring skilled staff by under paying them and start winning larger customers by offering well priced solutions with greater flexibility and functionality to compete with other providers. Stop valuing Fanatical Support so highly as customers and staff get bored of it.

You have some excellent people in senior management but from middle management downwards, it starts to fall off.

Enjoying it great place work keep the Culture!

Support Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsGood people to work with, exposure to different types of technology and they really invest on training and career development for employees. Great place to progress your career

ConsWe need keep up with the big cloud computing companies

Work hard, play hard... until the fun and games get too repetitive!

Linux Systems Administrator I (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsOn the surface nice and friendly...

Cons...but at times it turns into a real grind and the company is out to make money at the expensive of its employees - Fanatical Support = go above and beyond without being paid for!

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your staffing issues, one day customers will turn on you... well, they already have (ask some of your Lead Techs!).

Great Culture

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best part of Rackspace is their employees (Rackers).
You have full freedom to do whatever you want in the company, there is full transparency in the company and all the senior level management listen to the views of the employees.

ConsNot the best in the market for good salary for sales job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good work.

Great place to work with some amazing people

Linix Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from.

ConsDepend on your role and function, you could be a bit under pay than in the city.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate the people with the right skills according to the market rate.

Fun place to work, too many chiefs . . .

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsFun, relaxed working environment, free breakfast, good offices, location is convenient if in a pretty horrible area.

ConsToo many managers, having too many meetings. Heavily 'siloed' environment. Very cliquey. Tech departments are larg call centres, work is very ticket based and can get very repetitive. Career advancement is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your hands dirty!

Mostly good, but watch out for some of the Managers

Business Development Associate (Former Employee)
Hayes, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat working environment, great benefits and perks, Good movement within the company and support from the majority of the management teams.

ConsThe sales sector is tougher and a lot less about engagement and environment than the support sectors. Don't mess around with these guys

Awesome place to work

Virtualization Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Prospeople focused. Loads of training. Promote career development. amazing culture

ConsRapid changing organization. Loads of changes

Advice to Senior Managementnot everyone is fast to deal with change.

Must work for

Datacenter Operations Technician (Current Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsFast growing company that truly supports and encouraging employee growth. Every single individual in a company with over 1000 UK employees are awesome to work with.

Conschanges can take a while to come into effect due to company size and changes processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the change processes. Perhaps have a change board for internal processes.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 401 reviews are posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.