Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Company full of opportunities

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsThe culture and the core values in this company are awesome. There are tons of internal training courses where every Racker can improve his skills.

ConsSalary average is a bit lower than other companies and this can sometimes refrain people from choosing this company .

Great company, not very technologically advanced... for a company operating in the tech space.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsIncredible opportunities for me, especially since I had no relevant experience going in

Fun sales atmosphere

ConsBasically a mid market managed services provider desperately trying to compete against Amazon, Google & Azure
Archaic systems
Lack of intelligence on a day to day level for sales strategy, Marketing do well to get the leads funnelled through

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in identifying GREAT companies as potential customers. Support the development community and learn from them.

Help keep fanatical support alive internally

Focus on ways to improve the way we operate instead of always just hiring new people and asking them to perform processes that could be automated

Amazing

Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork Culture and Fun place to work for.

ConsNothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Avoid if you are experienced and want to step up to strategic roles - you may end up in a dead end job you don't enjoy.

London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the people working here are great and extremely smart.

ConsLeadership at this company is extremely bad - no clear vision at all.

Middle management is extremely bad to the point where it will be come detrimental to the company - very inexperienced and the experience they have is not relevant to their roles, promoting themselves to the point of failure.

Some of the goals you have to attain as part of your reviews have nothing to do with your job role creating more work and pointless tick boxes for the employees who are already over worked.

Very large gaps in their "Fanatical Support" model - not really for enterprise customers fine for SMB's.

Constantly having to fill in gaps in the support model to the point where certain employees are acting as the glue that hold the whole thing together.

The culture at this company has been lost a long time ago and at the moment it's just keeping up appearances.

Very few employees live up to the core values especially some of the middle management.

Salary is ok nothing amazing benefits are standard I have seen better packages out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers who can't manage or just don't have the skills for management.

"Fanatical Support" does not work for enterprise customers follow a proper support model that works.

Some of the roles are being misused to fill in huge gaps in the support model which is a complete waste of peoples skills and extremely demotivating - fix this or you will keep churning employees and these guys genuinely love the company.

Culture really doesn't exist at this company any more and that is being said by "Rackers" who have been here for 7 to 8 years - might be time to take a step back and find out where it's got lost.

Stop focusing so much on Amazon and see the wider picture there are other competitors out there who are a much bigger threat to Amazon and Rackspace combined.

Stop pushing back products due to knee jerk reactions. Employ Programme Managers, Project Managers, more developers and testers so you can contribute more to the Openstack project or Redhat will end up being the defacto leader of Openstack.

You need to have proper project managers for implementations, modifications to customer solutions and re-architectures. Not having these places a huge burden on the account management teams.

Great company culture. Emphasis on delivering great service to customers by engaging workforce effectively.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat atmosphere in the office and interesting product. An awesome board who are very hands on across the business globally - setting a clear vision for the business.

ConsBecause of company culture, individual performance is not managed effectively. There is a feeling that old 'Rackers' are preferred over newcomers. As there is not a culture of directness, politics can creep in somewhat. Great board, but senior management can be average - not setting clear direction, making difficult calls and often too inexperienced outside of the Rax to understand where things need to be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a great culture of meritocracy. Don't be so willing for Rackers to discount the experience of newcomers as 'not the Rackspace way'. Get your leadership team to ocus more on execution, focus on a priorities and stop them pontificating.

Excellent culture, low salary

Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRackspace has some pretty cool CORE values and most of the employees believe in them. The company has excellent culture and working environment. Rackspace is very stable company in the market and growing fast.

ConsPoor salary when it comes to internal promotion or movement. Sometimes people get promotion based on who they know rather than what they can do.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not loose the culture or environment to make the company big.

Fast paced learning environment

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTrue friends and family culture, never boring, everyday brings a new challenge, loads of opportunity

ConsInternal systems are not integrated makes sales and support jobs difficult and is reflected in the customer experience

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the culture

Good and fun place to work - if you like to have fun rather than work

Linux Systems Administrator I (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly, approachable people and managers. Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs. Company budget for team fun activities, shooting with "nerf guns", office decorations are allowed, free breakfast, game room, modern building, own canteen. It's like a comedy theatre. You won't get lost if you want to combine work with fun. In fact, you'll find lots of new friends if you blend in. Fast moving, stressed environment, work is heavily ticket-based. Depends on the segment but in my team the difficulty and challenges of work was given, which I appreciated. Internal trainings, opportunity to gain professional certifications. Unlike with others, my compensation was good compared to my experience, it was an acceptable market rate.

ConsLots of managers, one-sided thinking, very little discipline and harmony, hard to find real smart geeks. It's a start-up that has grown large too quick! If you're into technologies and desire to learn and improve your career, e.g. reading mailing lists, participate in R&D, plan to prepare speeches on conferences, this is not your place to be! The environment does not allow you to focus, in fact, you will squander focus. Lack of well-defined standards and processes. Unprofessional environment, difficult to find people who are real techies and willing to teach you or improve your skills. Too much emphasis on the "fun" element, therefore taking away attention from your profession. I left the monkey theatre after two months...

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to get the good people and catch up on industry giants, take tighter grip on employees, improve work morale. Take back on employee freedom, tighten the leash. Invest more into R&D.

"Small time" company.

Business Analyst III (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros-Diversity (I never worked in a company with so many different skills).
-Good installations.
-Flexibility(We can work from home).
-This is a good company to search for your "real job".

Cons-No business plan.
-No career.
-The senior managers are utter rubbish.
-Their pay is very,very low.
-Obsession with amazon.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor God's sake, spent some money, and hire some decent managers instead of sales persons.
Or sale the company to someone that knows what is doing.

Amazing, open minded people and clear vision.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsCulture, personal development time, open-source projects, informal lifestyle, work hard on challenging projects

ConsI do not see any cons at the moment. Everything is great here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on sharing updates, goals and vision

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 402 reviews are posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.