Rackspace Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
Updated 22 October 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 34 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good quality technical employees, great service but held back by low-level management

Current Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician II in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good career progression possibilities
    Training opportunities
    Company culture
    No redundancies, growing business that cant afford to let quality employees go

Cons

Consistently expected to work extra hours (stay late, working lunch etc)
    Low pay comparatively
    Some low level managers are terrible, train them or replace them

Appreciate techs more, they are the ones who provide the fanatical support that our service is built on

Great company, not very technologically advanced... for a company operating in the tech space.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Incredible opportunities for me, especially since I had no relevant experience going in

Fun sales atmosphere

Cons

Basically a mid market managed services provider desperately trying to compete against Amazon, Google & Azure
    Archaic systems
    Lack of intelligence on a day to day level for sales strategy, Marketing do well to get the leads funnelled through

Invest in identifying GREAT companies as potential customers. Support the development community and learn from them.

Help keep fanatical support alive internally

Focus on ways to improve the way we operate instead of always just hiring new people and asking them to perform processes that could be automated

Company full of opportunities

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

The culture and the core values in this company are awesome. There are tons of internal training courses where every Racker can improve his skills.

Cons

Salary average is a bit lower than other companies and this can sometimes refrain people from choosing this company .

Amazing

Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Culture and Fun place to work for.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

none

Avoid if you are experienced and want to step up to strategic roles - you may end up in a dead end job you don't enjoy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people working here are great and extremely smart.

Cons

Leadership at this company is extremely bad - no clear vision at all.

Middle management is extremely bad to the point where it will be come detrimental to the company - very inexperienced and the experience they have is not relevant to their roles, promoting themselves to the point of failure.

Some of the goals you have to attain as part of your reviews have nothing to do with your job role creating more work and pointless tick boxes for the employees who are already over worked.

Very large gaps in their "Fanatical Support" model - not really for enterprise customers fine for SMB's.

Constantly having to fill in gaps in the support model to the point where certain employees are acting as the glue that hold the whole thing together.

The culture at this company has been lost a long time ago and at the moment it's just keeping up appearances.

Very few employees live up to the core values especially some of the middle management.

Salary is ok nothing amazing benefits are standard I have seen better packages out there.

Too many managers who can't manage or just don't have the skills for management.

"Fanatical Support" does not work for enterprise customers follow a proper support model that works.

Some of the roles are being misused to fill in huge gaps in the support model which is a complete waste of peoples skills and extremely demotivating - fix this or you will keep churning employees and these guys genuinely love the company.

Culture really doesn't exist at this company any more and that is being said by "Rackers" who have been here for 7 to 8 years - might be time to take a step back and find out where it's got lost.

Stop focusing so much on Amazon and see the wider picture there are other competitors out there who are a much bigger threat to Amazon and Rackspace combined.

Stop pushing back products due to knee jerk reactions. Employ Programme Managers, Project Managers, more developers and testers so you can contribute more to the Openstack project or Redhat will end up being the defacto leader of Openstack.

You need to have proper project managers for implementations, modifications to customer solutions and re-architectures. Not having these places a huge burden on the account management teams.

Great company culture. Emphasis on delivering great service to customers by engaging workforce effectively.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere in the office and interesting product. An awesome board who are very hands on across the business globally - setting a clear vision for the business.

Cons

Because of company culture, individual performance is not managed effectively. There is a feeling that old 'Rackers' are preferred over newcomers. As there is not a culture of directness, politics can creep in somewhat. Great board, but senior management can be average - not setting clear direction, making difficult calls and often too inexperienced outside of the Rax to understand where things need to be changed.

Establish a great culture of meritocracy. Don't be so willing for Rackers to discount the experience of newcomers as 'not the Rackspace way'. Get your leadership team to ocus more on execution, focus on a priorities and stop them pontificating.

Excellent culture, low salary

Current Employee - Team Lead in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Lead in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace has some pretty cool CORE values and most of the employees believe in them. The company has excellent culture and working environment. Rackspace is very stable company in the market and growing fast.

Cons

Poor salary when it comes to internal promotion or movement. Sometimes people get promotion based on who they know rather than what they can do.

Do not loose the culture or environment to make the company big.

Fast paced learning environment

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

True friends and family culture, never boring, everyday brings a new challenge, loads of opportunity

Cons

Internal systems are not integrated makes sales and support jobs difficult and is reflected in the customer experience

Maintain the culture

Good and fun place to work - if you like to have fun rather than work

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in London, England
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, approachable people and managers. Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs. Company budget for team fun activities, shooting with "nerf guns", office decorations are allowed, free breakfast, game room, modern building, own canteen. It's like a comedy theatre. You won't get lost if you want to combine work with fun. In fact, you'll find lots of new friends if you blend in. Fast moving, stressed environment, work is heavily ticket-based. Depends on the segment but in my team the difficulty and challenges of work was given, which I appreciated. Internal trainings, opportunity to gain professional certifications. Unlike with others, my compensation was good compared to my experience, it was an acceptable market rate.

Cons

Lots of managers, one-sided thinking, very little discipline and harmony, hard to find real smart geeks. It's a start-up that has grown large too quick! If you're into technologies and desire to learn and improve your career, e.g. reading mailing lists, participate in R&D, plan to prepare speeches on conferences, this is not your place to be! The environment does not allow you to focus, in fact, you will squander focus. Lack of well-defined standards and processes. Unprofessional environment, difficult to find people who are real techies and willing to teach you or improve your skills. Too much emphasis on the "fun" element, therefore taking away attention from your profession. I left the monkey theatre after two months...

If you want to get the good people and catch up on industry giants, take tighter grip on employees, improve work morale. Take back on employee freedom, tighten the leash. Invest more into R&D.

"Small time" company.

Former Employee - Business Analyst III in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Analyst III in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Diversity (I never worked in a company with so many different skills).
    -Good installations.
    -Flexibility(We can work from home).
    -This is a good company to search for your "real job".

Cons

-No business plan.
    -No career.
    -The senior managers are utter rubbish.
    -Their pay is very,very low.
    -Obsession with amazon.

For God's sake, spent some money, and hire some decent managers instead of sales persons.
    Or sale the company to someone that knows what is doing.