Rackspace Reviews

Updated 26 April 2015
608 reviews filtered by

Once great, now awful

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun events, relaxed atmosphere, casual dress, work from home etc. Some really nice people to work with.

Cons

Recent management hires have killed the culture. No real focus or direction, changes strategy every quarter seemingly. Cliquiest place I have ever worked. No chance of promotion unless you are pals with the management. Insane levels of brown nosing.

Advice to Management

Go back to how Rackspace used to be, when it was successful. There's a reason why the staff turnover is massive.

Strong Internal Politics, Gone Downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good peer atmosphere, easy to make friends
    - Some interesting technologies used, ahead of competition

Cons

- Very high amount of office politics, including the presence of cliques.
    - Significant brown-nosing. Promotion and advancement opportunities are limited/non-existent without it.
    - Lack of overall company strategy (changes every 3-6 months) and competitive advantage ensure that the company will fail in the future.
    - Management not open to constructive criticism and/or feedback.
    - Communication of key ideas and messages is absent or at best, delayed.

Fun but frustrating.

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, casual atmosphere.
    Make friends easily and lots of team nights out.
    Benefits pretty good, especially free gym and medical insurance.

Cons

1. Poor salary (below industry average - relying on the 'culture' too much)
    2. Employee favouritism is rife. Don't expect to get anywhere unless you're in the "boy's club", even if your stats are top.
    3. Gossip - too much
    4. Empty promises.
    5. Too many changes, constantly. Happens every few months. No real clear strategy.
    6. Bad management - managers are hired into these positions even if they haven't got managerial experience
    7. Training. Rely on team members to train the newcomers or wait for months to sign yourself up to training modules - but this really isn't good enough.
    8. Accounts being removed and swapped unfairly - leaving the Sales teams very frustrated.

Going Downhill

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Formerly great working atmosphere, not so much nowadays.

Cons

Brown nosing, poor management. Lack of strategy. Poor salary.

Advice to Management

Promote more on merit rather than buddies.

6. Good place to work!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really friendly enviroment, a lot of support provider for new employees, many work place benefits.

Cons

Travell time from London. :D

(UK) Great culture, poor advancement/compensation

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic benefits, which the HR team do a great job with. From personal health (gym, sports days etc.) to general fun, they do a good job of creating a nice buzz.

- Generally, the culture is good. Increasingly, there seemed to be less focus on hiring the "right" characters and personalities for the company, but for most of my tenure I was surrounded by good people.

- Flexible time-off and working from home policies.

Cons

- Compensation was really poor, and well below industry averages in some cases. Moving up pay grades was always made into a logistical difficulty (changing job titles, teams etc.).

- Some of the managers are not equipped to be people managers, relying on leaders within the teams to do most of the hands-on managerial work.

- Senior leadership approach the business in a very reactive manner, causing the business focus to shift every 6 months after things go wrong. There is no committed direction and it seems they're winging it.

- No opportunities for progression. Having left since, I have realised how I've probably stunted my own growth by not doing so sooner.

Advice to Management

In several years of employment, I was one of many examples of people not once offered to interview for a more prominent position, in spite of performance and clear suitability. In my example, this was despite top-of-class performance reviews, and taking the role of "temporary" manager whenever the managerial team were away, or staff felt they couldn't rely on them.

8. Unique

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people make this place what it is! great folks who treat you like family and bend over backwards to help with anything

Cons

systems are archaic and painful

Advice to Management

People growth in specific departments as the business keeps growing

9. Great culture and great benefits

Current Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rackspace has a unique culture similar to that Google promotes. Lots of great events and perks such as benefits and private health care. The company has great company values which are followed to high a level throughout the company.

Cons

Working between the teams can be a challenge but something Rackspace is listening to resolve.

Advice to Management

More great benefits to make us feel proud of working for the company. Like more merchandise would be great!

Good quality technical employees, great service but held back by low-level management

Current Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician II in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good career progression possibilities
    Training opportunities
    Company culture
    No redundancies, growing business that cant afford to let quality employees go

Cons

Consistently expected to work extra hours (stay late, working lunch etc)
    Low pay comparatively
    Some low level managers are terrible, train them or replace them

Advice to Management

Appreciate techs more, they are the ones who provide the fanatical support that our service is built on

used to be amazing but now it's nothing more than a simple minded drone company

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Pizza, Possible Career Progression, very awesome employees with excellent attitudes

Cons

favouritism is still very strong in this company, management has become very drone like always bringing the "core values/culture" up in all reviews, your conversations with them and even emails like some sort of USSR communist group (THE MOTHERLAND RACKSPACE). workload seems to increase every year with little to no compensation given. The UK data center has the technicians working very strange shift patterns such as the 1pm to 10pm (known by many as the 'no life shift') and a night shift 9pm - 7am that has no day rotation. every shift fights to get on the early shift as it is the only one with reasonable hours (and of course lowest allowance for travel costs).

Advice to Management

look after your own instead of throwing them to the side