Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Virtualisation Engineer

Virtualisation Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsPlenty of development and training

ConsNone at the moment. The best place for a tech to be.

Great place to gain lots new skills and experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat exposure to different technologies
    People for the most part are great and happy to help you
    Opportunities to drive change and make a difference

ConsLots of decisions driven by the US - other regions simply execute
    Some senior managers not up to the job - have been promoted simply because they have been there so long
    Whilst the UK office is nice, the location is not great

A good place to get your foot in the door in the tech industry

Managed Linux Administrator (Former Employee) London, England

ProsA good place to get basic skills, you are thrown at the customers with relatively little experience but you tend to have the support of a relatively good team usually.

ConsIt tends to be career suicide to stay there longer than 2 years, promotions and career progression are based solely on tenior and are heavily biased with favoritism. Very low paychecks in comparison to the rest of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up, offer some grown up company inventives to your people to build and retain even better teams and then try to take on the likes of IBM, stop trying to use techies as managers it does not work and they tend to make severely biased decisions as they are not suitable for the role.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rackspace

Managed Backup Administrator L1 (Current Employee) London, England

Proshas a good culture, though possibly getting watered down with size

Consdont pay with inflation, pays could be better

Decent place to work

Windows Systems Administrator III (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDecent pay, especially for San Antonio. OK salaries for other areas. Some people will like the 'culture', shooting each other with rubber darts, etc. Fairly easy to get hired, so can be a good place to get started in IT.

ConsThey tend to skimp on facilities, which means if you're working for Rackspace UK, you'll be in some zone 6 post-apocalyptic landscape. Technical role progression is pretty limited outside of the US offices. Middle management is generally pretty unimaginative, and there are way too many managers.

Both good and bad

Sales Representative (Current Employee) London, England

ProsLots of fun activities, still great culture but declining, ample career opportunities if one can navigate the ever changing political and organizational landscape, great top level leadership

ConsOverblown targets versus opportunity to achieve in most roles, company growing too fast which has a detrimental impact on the culture and quality of hires, no room for negotiating pay when advancing internally

Advice to Senior ManagementBe weary of the speed in which the company is growing and the impact it has on the culture

A pleasure to come to work, I really feel apart of a Family

Support Specialist (Current Employee) Hayes, England

ProsGreat atmosphere, good perks, great team to work with.

ConsSome mundane tasks, although they are working on automating more and more.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going!

A high Calorie cult like circus with sadly little substance other than Fanatical support - don't believe the Hype

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Hayes, England

ProsSome great products
    Superb customer support
    Reasonable Flexibility in working life
    On-site Gym
    Good Office + Canteen - you will put on weight here
    Some good technical brains & SE's
    Great for SMB / SME sales people to start your junior sales career
    Growing fast - but for how long?
    Leaders in the cloud
    Great on-boarding process / education
    A good stepping stone to a better career elsewhere

ConsPoor Management with little backbone to do anything or make changes - don't put your head over the top of the pit etc
    Revolving door of Enterprise staff - before joining ask about attrition rates in Ent team V.high
    Far too much tribal knowledge - if you can find it you might be OK
    Despite constantly making reference to 'Treating Rackers (employees) like friends and family - this does not happen.
    If you have an opinion different to the management you are branded as negative...so don't have an opinion
    Too much sickly sweet ;hey how you doings' everyday....yawn yawn
    No share option scheme in the UK
    Obsession with culture to the detriment of actually addressing the real business ssues
    Lots of time in the office.
    Think of it more as what you can do for the company rather than what it can do for you.
    Managers in constant meetings and producing nothing of any tangible benefit to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is fundamentally a great company but is being let down by constant in fighting between SMB & Enterprise teams. A confused go to market strategy and an obsession with culture is unhealthy. Try fixing the bigger problems and put money in peoples pockets instead of praise in emails. Empower managers who can make decisions instead of being spreadsheet managers.

Highly challenging yet supportive environment - A GREAT place to build your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGenuine culture that inspires people to offer their best.
    You're working with some of the smartest people in the industry.
    Massive growth and opportunities.
    A highly aspirational organisation striving (mostly succeeding) to be on the cutting edge of service, technology and culture.

ConsEnormous growth means an extremely busy environment - good problem to have!
    Growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to help and support new leaders into the organisation.
    We really don't have a cultural problem - let's stop over rotating on engagement surveys.
    The change and growth in front of us is going to be difficult. Help us to do it smarter, faster and more smoothly.

A great place to work and learn !

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsPeople | Exposure to technology | Great Team Leaders | Great company events | Made a lot of good friends while there

Consexpected to do a lot of overtime | work-life balance issues | pay under market rate | moving from a medium to a large business model | a lot of teams are turning to the call center type approach

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to the people that on the front lines . a lot of senior managers feel too secure in their positions, they forget that they're here to lead ...

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!