Rackspace Reviews

Updated 26 April 2015
608 reviews filtered by

1. Brilliant place to work, and play!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant culture with lots of inspiring and brilliantly talented people who you get to work with everyday. Great fun ethos and office-culture along with great benefits and regular events/activities. Halloween here is crazy!

Cons

Company is growing fast and this can sometimes make your day long, stressful and high pressured.

2. Company full of opportunities

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

The culture and the core values in this company are awesome. There are tons of internal training courses where every Racker can improve his skills.

Cons

Salary average is a bit lower than other companies and this can sometimes refrain people from choosing this company .

3. Great company, not very technologically advanced... for a company operating in the tech space.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Incredible opportunities for me, especially since I had no relevant experience going in

Fun sales atmosphere

Cons

Basically a mid market managed services provider desperately trying to compete against Amazon, Google & Azure
    Archaic systems
    Lack of intelligence on a day to day level for sales strategy, Marketing do well to get the leads funnelled through

Advice to Management

Invest in identifying GREAT companies as potential customers. Support the development community and learn from them.

Help keep fanatical support alive internally

Focus on ways to improve the way we operate instead of always just hiring new people and asking them to perform processes that could be automated

5. Amazing

Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Culture and Fun place to work for.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Advice to Management

none

6. Great company culture. Emphasis on delivering great service to customers by engaging workforce effectively.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere in the office and interesting product. An awesome board who are very hands on across the business globally - setting a clear vision for the business.

Cons

Because of company culture, individual performance is not managed effectively. There is a feeling that old 'Rackers' are preferred over newcomers. As there is not a culture of directness, politics can creep in somewhat. Great board, but senior management can be average - not setting clear direction, making difficult calls and often too inexperienced outside of the Rax to understand where things need to be changed.

Advice to Management

Establish a great culture of meritocracy. Don't be so willing for Rackers to discount the experience of newcomers as 'not the Rackspace way'. Get your leadership team to ocus more on execution, focus on a priorities and stop them pontificating.

Excellent culture, low salary

Current Employee - Team Lead in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Lead in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace has some pretty cool CORE values and most of the employees believe in them. The company has excellent culture and working environment. Rackspace is very stable company in the market and growing fast.

Cons

Poor salary when it comes to internal promotion or movement. Sometimes people get promotion based on who they know rather than what they can do.

Advice to Management

Do not loose the culture or environment to make the company big.

8. Fast paced learning environment

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

True friends and family culture, never boring, everyday brings a new challenge, loads of opportunity

Cons

Internal systems are not integrated makes sales and support jobs difficult and is reflected in the customer experience

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture

9. Good and fun place to work - if you like to have fun rather than work

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in London, England
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, approachable people and managers. Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs. Company budget for team fun activities, shooting with "nerf guns", office decorations are allowed, free breakfast, game room, modern building, own canteen. It's like a comedy theatre. You won't get lost if you want to combine work with fun. In fact, you'll find lots of new friends if you blend in. Fast moving, stressed environment, work is heavily ticket-based. Depends on the segment but in my team the difficulty and challenges of work was given, which I appreciated. Internal trainings, opportunity to gain professional certifications. Unlike with others, my compensation was good compared to my experience, it was an acceptable market rate.

Cons

Lots of managers, one-sided thinking, very little discipline and harmony, hard to find real smart geeks. It's a start-up that has grown large too quick! If you're into technologies and desire to learn and improve your career, e.g. reading mailing lists, participate in R&D, plan to prepare speeches on conferences, this is not your place to be! The environment does not allow you to focus, in fact, you will squander focus. Lack of well-defined standards and processes. Unprofessional environment, difficult to find people who are real techies and willing to teach you or improve your skills. Too much emphasis on the "fun" element, therefore taking away attention from your profession. I left the monkey theatre after two months...

Advice to Management

If you want to get the good people and catch up on industry giants, take tighter grip on employees, improve work morale. Take back on employee freedom, tighten the leash. Invest more into R&D.

"Small time" company.

Former Employee - Business Analyst III in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Analyst III in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Diversity (I never worked in a company with so many different skills).
    -Good installations.
    -Flexibility(We can work from home).
    -This is a good company to search for your "real job".

Cons

-No business plan.
    -No career.
    -The senior managers are utter rubbish.
    -Their pay is very,very low.
    -Obsession with amazon.

Advice to Management

For God's sake, spent some money, and hire some decent managers instead of sales persons.
    Or sale the company to someone that knows what is doing.

11. Amazing, open minded people and clear vision.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, personal development time, open-source projects, informal lifestyle, work hard on challenging projects

Cons

I do not see any cons at the moment. Everything is great here.

Advice to Management

Keep on sharing updates, goals and vision