Raley's

Raley's Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Raley's President & CEO Michael Teel

Michael Teel

Pros
  • Good benefits for working part time(in 7 reviews)

• Good Pay if your in the Grocery clerk status(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is always changing how they want things done(in 4 reviews)

• Union labor holds company back relative to competition(in 6 reviews)

Pays the bills

Meat Department Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay good benefits flexibility with scheduling.

ConsNot much growth potential. Upper management doesn't appear to have earned there spots by performance but by who they know.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be like whole foods.

Overall pretty Good

Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) North Auburn, CA (US)

ProsMost of management is nice. They take care of customers well and will treat you well if you are a good worker and an asset to them. Most of the people there are very nice and friendly. They hire better people overall than most. Benefits (Not the greatest but not horrible). Easy to submit for days off/vacation time and if you're a clerk there's plenty of people to swap shifts with if need be.

ConsCut down staffing so there's one person doing the work of what used to be 2-3 people's job. Mildly stressful as often asked to hurry or multi-task in order to keep up with customer's and understaffing. A bit drama-filled but any large store can be.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the manager's are good. Like 2 out of 3. There's always one or two that's a dread to work with but it's probably overall better than most places.

Great place to work!

Management (Current Employee) Calif City, CA (US)

ProsVery good core values
    Family owned
    Customer service
    Cleanliness
    Free WiFi
    Cafe
    Friendly

ConsHours, Training, Communication, Equipment, Union

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovement needed for compassion towards people with disabilities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

ProsBusy challenging environment and fast pace.

ConsNeed a cost of living raise

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate management solutions at store level.

Very friendly environment

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) Petaluma, CA (US)

ProsVery close group of coworkers and nice management

ConsScheduling was hard to get used to. Don't have a set work schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with rules. Widespread corporate rules don't always apply to every store

Going downhill fast...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood hours, decent benefits, clean environment

ConsNot enough appreciation for the hardworking employees, cut Sunday pay & holiday pay....

they're going young, the older head clerks 40 yrs and up. Are being asked to step down

Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

Pros20 years ago it was a good job

Consdirectors cant make a decision without calling human resource, district manger's head is not in the game

Advice to Senior Managementgrow a pair, make a decision

Good experience working at raleys

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company overall, takes care of employees

ConsNone that i can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

I'm amazed Raley's is still around.

Courtesy to Food Service (Former Employee) Grass Valley, CA (US)

ProsGood exercise.

Great Product quality, you can take pride in what your store provides.

Extremely friendly co-workers. Your customer service abilities will skyrocket.

ConsI began working for Raley's in June of 2008, before the market crash. During that Summer my store in Grass Valley was considered to be one of the busiest stores in the entire chain and it showed. 2 full cart orders were the norm and you worked constantly. Then the market crashed and Raley's became a sad John Steinbeck novel. I worked for the company before the You Count Card, which was only suppose to be a holiday only thing, and when Corporate discovered employees could buy more, they implemented the card permanently. It does not matter how long you have worked for the company or what position you hold, if someone who is not apart of your family, even if they are a fellow employee,use the You Count Card, you are immediately fired. Corporate's stance on employee discount before YCC was this: "We pay you enough, you don't need a discount." You were literally told this in training.

-My store was Non Union, you could be fired for anything. After the market crashed, many of our employees were let go for seemingly no reason.

-Absolutely no advancement. I worked myself into the ground for 2 and a half years for a promotion that was 4 times the work load and $ .25 more an hour. I received very little if any training in my new department.

-If you are a new hire, don't be surprised to find out that people who have worked at the company for decades is making much more than you doing the same job. Raley's used to be a place you could support yourself with.

-The hours are nonsensical. There is no need for shifts to change every week. I could understand way back when you had a ton of staff, but now it just doesn't make any sense.

-The environment became incredibly dog eat dog.

-Depressing place to work once you know what things use to be like.

-Woefully understaffed. How understaffed my store was should have been criminal.

-Incredibly cliquey and drama that really doesn't matter.

-Corporate made it very clear they did not care for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has the means to really change things and survive, but it's just never going to happen. Corporate uses "Family Oriented Store" as a really cruel parody of what it use to mean. I don't think Raley's is going to be ran out of the business, but they have essentially sold their soul to not have to take any income losses in upper management or make a pricing change. in 2000 this company was looking to take over Northern California, and in 2014 things have not gotten any better in the last 6 years. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone who is looking to get anything out of it except a ton of frustration.

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) West Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsCompany wants to grow again and do big things.

ConsUnion labor holds company back relative to competition.

Worked for Raley's? Contribute to the Community!