Raytheon

Raytheon Reviews in Arlington, VA

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A decent place to visit, but I couldn't afford to stay there

Software Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI thought Raytheon was mostly fine. The benefits were fine. My coworkers were mostly good and helpful people. There was rarely an expectation to work past normal hours.

ConsCompensation. I started out in a very junior role simply assisting a senior engineer maintain and develop some JSP sites. After a year though, the senior engineer found a new job elsewhere and I was left to maintain those sites alone. Later, I was tasked with entirely new development efforts in ASP.NET and SharePoint. That's the context I provide when I now inform you that in my nearly five years there I received no promotions, and my raises did not even keep pace with the rate of inflation much less surpass it.

You'll note below that I did check the box recommending this company to a friend. I do that because I think this division of Raytheon would still be fine for a short stint of say 2-3 years. Plus my situation was probably a bit more extreme than normal. My only advice is that if you feel you're getting shortchanged when the annual raise time comes around, don't believe them when they say it will be better next year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know Raytheon is a large company, so I'm sure of their management already knows this, but those that don't need to realize that undervaluing your employees may save you money in the short run, but is probably costing the company a fortune in the long run. The costs of high turnover are not insignificant.

Great place to work

Senior Information Systems Technologist II (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood environment, very good 401k, supportive team, good benefits, good training. I would definitely come back (in fact, in a lot of ways, I'm sorry I left there in the first place)

ConsToo much badgering about contributing to the PAC. I would have preferred to not seen quite as much political involvement, but understand that, as a defense contractor, such things are necessary.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a -- they did a great job and can't consider much to recommend.

A good place to work if you need to get out by 6PM every night.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon

ProsSupport getting additional outside education (masters degrees)
Job security

ConsSlow promotions - not a meritocracy
Compensation is not competitive
Strong chain of command impeeds creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of change.

Good

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon

ProsNice place to work, typical government contractor.

ConsManagement is old school, need work on ppl skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to younger engineer, encourage there new ideas.

Ok place, but easy to get lost

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon

ProsIf you're interested in the defense world, RTN is a great place. lot's of interesting technology and many interesting people.

ConsIt's hard to get ahead without some gray hair. This isn't the place for a your professional trying to shoot up the corporate ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, the senior management seems pretty good. There was too much focus on process however. Sometimes it felt like working for the government.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings in Arlington, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.