Raytheon

3.3 1,264 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

1,264 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The company allows for a relatively flexible work schedule, and has great work/life balance"
    in 155 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, 9/80 Schedule (Every other Friday off)"
    in 121 reviews
Cons:
  • "In my experience didn't value work/ life balance"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing"
    in 36 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An outdated company that does not recognise achievement or career development.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Harlow, England

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood salary.
Lots of fun projects.

ConsThe company's personal development review process is completely subjective and in no way designed to forward or help your career, it serves one purpose, to allow the company to prevent personal development. This scheme is linked to salary increase.
The company has a very poor expenses system designed to prevent you claiming back your money and they make you take off personal mileage for business trips from your home, against advice from HMRC.
All of the company's buildings and offices are old and outdated expect only a small desk and an old worn out chair well away from a window.
New grads are treated like cheap labour, up until this year the 'development program' did not really exist.
Too many levels of management, it makes it very hard to achieve anything, there standard office PC and laptops still use WindowsXP - lol.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some management layers, you have over 80 IT staff that serve internal IT, What do they do? Most appear to sit around all day surfing the internet. Maybe why your staff are still embarrassing themselves on customer sites using XP based laptops.
Allow people who are eager and good at there job to progress in there career. Sometimes this may mean taking a risk or two... Shock, horror.

OK place to work .

Performance Test Lead (Former Employee)
Uxbridge, England

I worked at Raytheon for less than a year

ProsOK place to work. Took us for Christmas lunch.

ConsWorked on a big government project - Management recruited external company to find areas to improve within team. External person was quite rude and very bossy. The whole team was not happy about this. ( a lot of micromanagement too).

Nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are great -- genuinely friendly and team-oriented. I don't normally keep in touch as friends with the people I have worked with, after the job ends, but this time I have. The work is challenging as well.

ConsThe systems and processes are underdeveloped for a company of its size. The IT organisation has not been forward-looking, with the result that non-technical employees are far behind in the technologies that they can use. In other areas, there is too much duplicate work. For example, being able to make an online entry or request while still having to fill out forms and run around and have them signed. Very old fashioned.

Training analyst

Training Analyst (Current Employee)
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

ProsShort working hours, and a mixture of friendly people. Opportunity to work across a number of sites

ConsBad culture, tight management structure, poor locations, minimal Uk presence

Company looks great on paper. Don't be fooled!

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork/Life balance fairly good, political (which works good in some ways). Worldwide locations - potential travel and re-location opportunities, Stable environment (dependant on US defence budget.) Good people from all ages who have worked for the company and good opportunity to make lifelong friends. Regular updates on the company, top notch communication on company's financial position, schedule and other updates from leadership. They have improved a lot on this, fine if you want to be in a basic paid job bringing home some extra money if you're the lower earner of the household

ConsManagement and supervision have zero technical knowledge, no financial incentives to work hard or exceed, very few promotions from academically capable and well liked individuals (these goes to the wrong people every time) management and leadership out of touch, too much time wasted on pointless behavioural boosting courses, and meetings about meetings, no actions executed quickly enough to be innovative, there are no young people and very little done to train to bring them in, or retain skilled staff eager and keen to do well for the company, managers/supervision who damage morale aren't dealt with properly and keep their jobs managing people for as long as they want, HR are way too business biased as opposed to operating in the interests of the employee and fairness, Ethics and quality only carried out when it suits, skills and knowledge not fully utilized from key staff members, too many people in the wrong job roles, benefits and percs reduced as profits increase year on year, benchmarking only used to justify lack of employee rewarding but promote and advertise themselves as 'innovative' and 'global leading' in the same sentance.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, properly train staff in classroom environments and get young enthusiastic employee's into recognizable college and Uni courses and fully support them via studying time, and engineering/project management time. Retain staff, reward staff, cut some of the red tape, get down with the workers, listen, and please just get rid of people who continually prop up as being troublesome and unprofessional, especially when they're in management positions managing people. Boost morale by any of these means, and allow the lowest of earners a chance to travel overseas and work for experience and perhaps to inspire them to want to do more for the company when they see the size of it. I've found that people who work their way up within a company are very valuable

Good compensation (if negotiated cleverly), bad management (for big projects)

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Uxbridge, England

I worked at Raytheon

ProsFriendly staff, Good working hours as per contract (but always end up working much more that what is stated in contract)

ConsManagement needs improvement, no overtime payment, unrealistic work hour expectation (weekends/late hours), work overload + will not take additional people due to budget constraints - so a single person ends up doing the work of 2 - 3 people. Micro-management, Micro-management, Micro-management

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic deadlines/commitments, do not underquote and make employees work more hours without pay....

The UK company has lost its way

Radar Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon

ProsStrong engineering heritage, good engineering practices and discipline

ConsUS seem to have lost faith in UK subsidiary. Senior management spend too much time focussing on pleasing the US, not concentrating on the UK customers. Very poor communication of strategy. Tendency for senior managers to shift blame downwards for their lack of competence.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the Customer, get a proper strategy, agree long term targets for P/L with the US then avoid micromanaging and short termism

Very Supportive of their employees

C# Developer (Current Employee)
El Paso, TX (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for less than a year

ProsThey took care of my needs.

ConsI worked there on a Contract to hire basis and even though I did a good job for them for many months they pulled the plug on me after just 9 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart being more long term committed to your employees

Just a job, body shop

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, and perks. 401k match from the start! Put your 40 hours in and you get 3% yearly bump

ConsYou are only good for that current effort you are working. Slim chance you be able to find another Raytheon effort after your current contract expires.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your current employees!

A great place to work.

Communications Manager (Former Employee)
McKinney, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery employee-focused company. Numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth. Had the chance to work with very talented people.

ConsEmployee head-count is at the mercy of federal defense spending. I wish more opportunities were available so that I could rejoin the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employee morale at top-of-mind. I'm sure job security is a major issue given all of the lay-offs and division collapses that have occurred over the past few years.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All 1,264 reviews are posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.