RealPage

Updated 18 December 2014
2.9

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Office culture in San Francisco is a bit laid back for some teams, good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Cool Office location, great people to be around (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Life @ RealPage

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of the organisation is the work culture and the Crowd in here.
    Excellent Career growth and the services rendered by the each individual are valued and recognized.
    Flexible Timings and amazing fun @ work.
    Provides great perks despite being a growing company.

Cons

Till date, I haven't found anything that I could point out, and this review is not because I work here, it's because every Realpager feels so!!

Should accelerate in increasing the size of the organization as it's a good place to work.

Overworked and underpaid employees, top-heavy management, high employee turnover

Current Employee - Implementation Analyst
    Current Employee - Implementation Analyst

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working here are the flexibility, fair amount of vacation days and floating holidays, and decent benefits. There is an opportunity for personal growth, but the people who start off now will have to endure a lot of abuse and fight a steep uphill battle to try and climb the ranks. Most people who have higher titles were part of the companies that were acquired by this conglomerate (RealPage, Inc.), and were assigned the title & salary as a default. Also, the gap between what software developers receive and what analysts/consultants receive is absolutely horrific. It's very discouraging to see such major gaps in pay between people of relatively similar levels of education and experience.

Cons

Horrible pay; much lower than industry average. Executives do not believe in allocating resources in areas that will preserve brand image and client satisfaction. They are mainly concerned with revenues. The "RealPage policy" also seems to be to under-hire and overwork their existing employees. As more and more employees are leaving this company each month, the work that those employees were in charge of just keeps getting dumped on other existing employees. Onboarding is slow and training takes a long time because they task current employees with training new-hires, on top of the other work that they've inherited from employees that have left AND their own work. There are also a lot of office politics, but you'll usually encounter this in any corporation. Basically, this is just a good job to have for a certain period of time to rack up some experience - until you can find a company that actually values their employees and will pay them what they're worth. This may explain the revolving door here.

Pay your employees a little more fairly (see: industry averages). Do not neglect certain products or the people who are holding them together, simply because they do not generate as much revenue for the company. Also, hire more people instead of dumping so many responsibilities on certain employees that seem like they're willing to take it on. You are taking advantage of them and they will be more likely to leave the company with less than 2-weeks notice as soon as they find something better. (This is if they have not already had a heart attack or stroke from all the stress put on them.)

Fast-paced and evolving daily...

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company operates with the passion and energy of a startup. I get a chance to impact team goals and clients EVERY day. The career growth opportunities are there for the doer's and those that have an ownership mindset.

Cons

Patience is required when you double in size over a three year period. That was reiterated countless times during the interview process and during the time of my employ.

Stay the course and see your vision through to the very end.

Mixed review

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay, good working environment. The company offers a good product. It has industry wide name recognition. Despite the Cons below, this can be a good company to work for, they have a lot of different departments each trying to satisfy a niche in the apartment industry, so if you work there and don't like your particular department make a lateral move; like any place they have good and bad managers.

Cons

Sales team members are not treated evenly. Some sales teams are run very well, but others made no sense. Some reps getting multiple territories with so much business they could not handle the load, while other reps on the same team struggled with a bone dry territory. Intense focus on certain markets and territories and sales clicks. If a client is in a less desirable market they can expect little customer support. Too much focus on the sale and not enough on the service. Disorganized management. Too many shifts in directions. At times felt very unappreciated.

None. They wouldn't listen.

Disillusioned.

I worked at RealPage

Pros

Paid competitively. Flexible work hours and OOO.

Cons

Treated condescendingly by top level mgmt. Excessive micromanagement from the CEO on down (e.g., the CEO of a publically traded company and overseeing 3,000+ employees is literally writing the press releases).

Cannot trust the data.

Trust and verify.

When does this stop?

Current Employee - Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None at this time. I don't feel there are any and I plan on leaving as soon as I find something else.

Cons

Teams do not communicate or share information with one another.
    Management doesn't listen to people actually doing work. They think it's either their way or no way.
    Top-heavy management. Talent is leaving leaving company short staffed with no one coming to replace them. New management brought in again. This happens yearly because no one will stay.

Listen to employees and stop spending, spending, spending on stuff not needed. Yes, it's nice to have but this company is going to "nice to have" itself into bankruptcy.

Think twice before accepting the job offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

standard benefits available in the bay area.

Cons

Senior managements in the corporate office (Dallas) think the employees in the San Francisco office are overpaid even though their salaries are 10 - 15% below the market. Managements don't value their employees especially OpsTechnology Division. They believe every jobs can be outsourced to India. There are no room for growth. I would not recommend my friends to work here.

If 3 to 5 people are leaving each week, it's a sign. It's telling you are not doing a good job. If you can't retain your employees how can you manage the departments.

A good company and a good challenge

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company that wants to grow. If you're looking for a job where you're micro-managed and everyone tells you exactly how to do your job, this isn't the company for you. Here you need to step it up and not make excuses. If you want something done, you go out and make it happen. Its interesting reading previous reviews because I just don't feel that way. It may be my own personal experience (previous with other companies and present) that are defining my outlook, but here, I feel like I can grow. Co-workers are great. Happy and friendly and want to help others succeed.

Cons

Really the only problem I've run into is communication. I find that with a lot of places. I think its due to the constant acquisitions and new products.

My advice, beef up the communication. We need a leader whos sole purpose is understanding the company, products, and how we are all tied together AND THEN ensuring the rest of us do as well. Its a great company to work for in my opinion, but the communication could use some work.

Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at RealPage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun at Work ; Frequent Outing in recognition to your work.
    Relieve and Rejuvenate after the break

Cons

This may be specific to individual.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent products, services, and strong industry-dominating potential

Cons

Acquisitions come with disorganization, disconnect across departments, lack of communication when it comes to things that matter.

Don't just listen to what your employees have to say, take action and create solutions that make sense.