Redbox

www.redbox.com

Redbox Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue (in 7 reviews)

• Some people that have been here for awhile are stuck in their ways and don't often give some new ideas a chance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great workplace if the team is right

ProsGreat place to work if the team chemistry is there. Open door policy between employees and management. Great place to earn some income.

ConsSupervisors that do not connect with their team. It creates a volatile work environment. It also drops the morale of the team. Hectic, unpredictable schedule. More work for less money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees more. Some of them have great ideas. Also, field teams are getting stretched to their limits. Pay attention to supervisors whose numbers are too good to be true. They may be doing things to achieve the numbers but not following the company values.

Loved the people but exec management is poor

Fsr2 (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosmost of the people are super smart, dedicated and creative.

Consexec management has had a lot of turnover.

Advice to Senior Managementfigure it outr

Leaves a sore taste in your mouth

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL (US)

ConsHorrible communication with employees. You would find out from a customer about a site wide issue before internally.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started of great, ended up really bad.

Manager (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL (US)

ProsTalented group of software engineers. For the most part compensation was good. Raises were not the greatest, so be sure to get your money up front. Benefits were pretty good. Had more perks in the beginning, but as purse strings began to tighten, they went away.

ConsCrappy upper management. Poor decision making when layoffs had to happen. No long term approach for dealing with the demise of DVD rentals.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lay people off based on tenure. We aren't blue-collar workers.

Needs more direction from the top down.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

ProsRelatively relaxed work environment with flexible work from home opportunities. Very good salaries and benefits for not being located in downtown Chicago.

ConsLeadership often struggles with setting company direction. Some people that have been here for awhile are stuck in their ways and don't often give some new ideas a chance. Titles and positions in the company are often based on HR requirements and not always individual ability. Immense early success masked some of the inept management skills and now that it isn't as booming as it used to be, those issues are starting to become more noticeable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood new ideas a chance and at least allow for some POC time. Don't just blow them off because of what someone said about them years ago.

Wonderful, Diverse, Inclusive

Level I Machine Support Technician (Current Employee) Villa Park, IL (US)

ProsThe best part about this job is the atmosphere. I've made many new friends who have common interests and I'm able to come to work dressed in comfortable clothing. Everyone including management is friendly. The job can get a little tedious and repetitive after a while, but there is always opportunity for training in new areas and the possibility of promotion. This is a great job to make decent money while going to school or working towards a better position. Great perks and great insurance.

ConsNothing so egregious it deserve complaint, overall a great place to work.

Great, now bad

ProsWhen I started: Excellent projects, smart people, great management who provided tools and gave support when needed

ConsNow: no good projects and the smart people and great managers have left so no one to learn from

Advice to Senior ManagementEither invest more or make cuts. Stop thinking.

Political Corporate

Director (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

ProsPay, personal time off and benefits
    The people on your team are usually very good
    Most departments get along and cooperate to get the job done

ConsThere is no 5 year plan. Outerwall will bleed Redbox dry of cash until the disc and this company are no longer profitable.
    Sr. Management is out to cover themselves politically and cash in their bonuses and stock grants.
    Doesn't matter how well you do your job. You meet objectives yet still run out politically.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror and be honest with people. There will continue to be high turnover as they churn people through to try and save an aging soon to be obsolete technology. And try and get some better movies. How many VP and Directors do you need to purchase and market these titles.

Was a great place to work...

ProsVery casual dress code, PTO policy, and benefits are good. Most co-workers are friendly and willing to help each other out.

ConsExtremely low morale due to multiple rounds of recent lay offs/re-orgs and low bonus payouts. Increasing amount of people leaving the company with upper management not doing anything to address the issue. No solid direction from upper management who are also not in touch with lower levels of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to figure out a direction for the company, boost morale, and find a way to reduce the rate of very talented people leaving the company every week.

It was what is was

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree beverages and dvds to rent.

Worked for Redbox? Contribute to the Community!