Redbox Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
Updated 18 September 2014
2.9

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 14 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue (in 7 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful, Diverse, Inclusive

Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician  in  Villa Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Villa Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part about this job is the atmosphere. I've made many new friends who have common interests and I'm able to come to work dressed in comfortable clothing. Everyone including management is friendly. The job can get a little tedious and repetitive after a while, but there is always opportunity for training in new areas and the possibility of promotion. This is a great job to make decent money while going to school or working towards a better position. Great perks and great insurance.

Cons

Nothing so egregious it deserve complaint, overall a great place to work.

Great, now bad

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

When I started: Excellent projects, smart people, great management who provided tools and gave support when needed

Cons

Now: no good projects and the smart people and great managers have left so no one to learn from

Either invest more or make cuts. Stop thinking.

Was a great place to work...

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very casual dress code, PTO policy, and benefits are good. Most co-workers are friendly and willing to help each other out.

Cons

Extremely low morale due to multiple rounds of recent lay offs/re-orgs and low bonus payouts. Increasing amount of people leaving the company with upper management not doing anything to address the issue. No solid direction from upper management who are also not in touch with lower levels of employees.

Upper management needs to figure out a direction for the company, boost morale, and find a way to reduce the rate of very talented people leaving the company every week.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Political Corporate

Former Employee - Director  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, personal time off and benefits
    The people on your team are usually very good
    Most departments get along and cooperate to get the job done

Cons

There is no 5 year plan. Outerwall will bleed Redbox dry of cash until the disc and this company are no longer profitable.
    Sr. Management is out to cover themselves politically and cash in their bonuses and stock grants.
    Doesn't matter how well you do your job. You meet objectives yet still run out politically.

Look in the mirror and be honest with people. There will continue to be high turnover as they churn people through to try and save an aging soon to be obsolete technology. And try and get some better movies. How many VP and Directors do you need to purchase and market these titles.

Solid work environment with unsure future

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is not typical of most $2b companies in Illinois. Feels more like a start-up than a corproation

Cons

The culture feels like its starting to change (for the worse). Still better than most companies, but not as great as it used to be.

Good Company but lost it's direction

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefits, balance lifestyle, great culture

Cons

Shrinking, out of new ideas

The Rise and Fall of Rome

I worked at Redbox

Pros

When I first started with this company, they were young & ambitious. I so enjoyed learning & growing with the company.

Cons

They turned into a big company like Wal-Mart. They fired or let go all of their high tenure employees, brought in people who know nothing, even in the tech support area. They are fighting amongst themselves.

My immediate supervisor & his supervisor had it out for me from day one & made sure I knew it. I was compared to someone that was fired previous to me. The Regional Manager, in the course of our conversation, made it be known that when I applied for the Regional OPerating Supervisor position, he hadn't even read my REsume, even though HR had interviewed me & submitted my resume as a candidate.

Like being at high school

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I got a pay check

Cons

I have never, ever worked at a place where people completely ignore you like you are invisible. The people are completely immature and very unprofessional.

Break up the high school mentality and make your people act more professional or fire them and get more mature people.

Good place, if you're lucky

Current Employee - Field Support Representative II  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Field Support Representative II in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Depending you position you get mileage reimbursement; or are supplied a company vehicle. Good benefits. Flexible working schedule.

Cons

Shortly after the coinstar buyout many changed took place and they were not for the better. I have been with company for years and no opportunity has been given to move up. Everytime a position opens it is given to an external candidate. Without any consideration of internal employees. Field is stuck in regards to moving up

Field has no room for advancement. Big on communicating plans and opportunities from within yet over the years any advancement within market I was told too far or not even acknowledged at all. Even after applying.

Was a great company until bought by Coinstar

Current Employee - Regional Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation package very generous and field teams are amazing. Company car provided as well as bonus every year for everyone who meets company expectations.

Cons

When coinstar purchased redbox the dynamic of the company changed. No longer that small fun company to work for. All about how much you can work the field without going over budgets.

Worked for Redbox? Contribute to the Community!