Redbox Reviews

Updated 12 August 2014
Updated 12 August 2014
2.9

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue (in 7 reviews)

• Some people that have been here for awhile are stuck in their ways and don't often give some new ideas a chance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good retail and entertainment company in Chicago

I worked at Redbox full-time

Pros

Great industry, fun company and people

Cons

Lots of change and evolution over the coming years

Be clear on the vision forward

Great atmosphere, lack of executive direction/vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working environment, informal dress code, mostly great people

Cons

Leadership seems very reactionary, with little longer-term vision. Coinstar culture has killed much of the entrepreneurial spirit that used to make redbox exciting to work for. It has gotten more political, with business teams expanding quickly without corresponding investment in technology...not enough vetting of ideas before having tech spend time on them; then there is little accountability and ROI calculation after implementation.

Go back to basics, reward teams that actually show measurable value

casual culture, good salary, highly modern office with many amenities

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Pros

people are cool, salaries are very competitive, great office, very good benefits package for FTE. lots of company sponsored events, gifts to employees, recognition, execs tried to communicate with dev team about work conditions/teams, but feedback given was rarely put into practice

Cons

not a tremendous amount of career advancement for software. way too many contractors being hired for a short amount of time, after they became adept at the system, they were going and FTEs had to retrain them. doing development on the actual boxes required a lab with redboxes, hard to emulate for quick debug. lot's of lua script, also hard to debug

hire less contractors and focus on cultivating domain-expert FTEs. there was way too much turnaround with contracts and having the FTEs retrain them constantly is counter productive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be great

Current Employee - Field Support Representative  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Support Representative in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They got rid of all the pros. Not much good anymore.

Cons

Trust is gone. They micromanage everything. New CEO (of Outerwall - parent company of Redbox) values shareholders more than employees.

A company that does well takes care of their employees. Not just lip service. Actions speak louder than words. If your employees feel that they are being looked out for, then they will take pride in their company again. Employees that take pride in their company have the motivation to do well which reflects in the company.

Honestly, what good do you think will come from discontinued bonuses. Reduced hourse, and reduced benefits.

Bittersweet.

Former Employee - Supervisor Role  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor Role in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great benefits and perks for their coworkers.
    -Positive outlook and goals.
    -Mostly great coworkers and team members.

Cons

-Management can be either useless or too brash in their decision making.
    -Hard workers can sometimes be overlooked instead of commended.

Recognize which of your employees (including lower management) are actually doing all the work and which are useless.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Field Support Representative I
    Current Employee - Field Support Representative I

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Redbox has your best interests at heart. Yes, like any job, there are very sterssful weeks, and then the normal weeks. They keep you in the loop on how the company is doing, and offer many perks like a wellness program, and fun employee constests (one of which, I won!). You pretty much work on your own, and the pay is good.

Cons

You have to use your own vehicle at a level 1. This can cause serious wear and tear. And if you don't have a larger vehicle, good luck.

Sr Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nothing good to say about higher level managers

Cons

They cheat customers all customers daily

Do not treat customers an employees bad

The only professional job I've ever held where you're required to work more, but make less.

Former Employee - Field Service Representative I
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative I

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent medical, dental & vision health benefits package. Very good paid time off (PTO) package, right from the start of employment

Cons

Job flexibility, once the hallmark of being a Redbox field employee (FSR) has given way to micromanaged, corporate-based control. Feedback is paid lip service by top management. An FSR is viewed as a "map coordinate", not a valued asset. Field employees are all treated as the "least common denominator". With bonuses on the way of the dodo bird, there is little incentive to excel. The best of the field employees will be among the first to leave as the job market improves.

Cost containment should be implemented on the corporate/salaried level and not born predominately by the lowest paid employees, the field service reps (FSR's). Listen to Wall Street and discontinue giving away the Redbox brand with discount promo codes. Perhaps then field employees will once again earn full time pay for fulltime work, instead of fulltime work for part time pay.

Started out great but has been going down hill with route ops not understanding traffic flow,rain, or road construction

Current Employee - FSR1
    Current Employee - FSR1

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year.

Cons

No one listens to issues, people are lying about their time worked to keep their jobs

Listen to your field employees when they say it is impossible to have the same amount of time allowed to work when things change on a weekly basis, but our time allowed to work is never changed. Have been threatened to either lie about my time so I can keep my job, or if I put down what I really worked for the week, I get reprimanded. A storm, a traffic wreck, tire blowout, nothing is a good enough reason to go over on your time. Company preaches honesty but they don't practice it.

Great place

Former Employee - Field Representative  in  Charleston, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Charleston, WV (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is good but needs more help

Cons

Too many Chiefs and not enough indians!

Worked for Redbox? Contribute to the Community!