Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal(in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

How to transform a giant into a global but nimble digital player

Director of the Television Division (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsEnjoyed my job, my wonderful colleagues and friends and boss more than any other company. Great benefits and company supported initiatives. The only place where we had our own personal chef on staff for daily lunches.

ConsOffice space was limited and cramped with very bad air conditioning in the hot 30C - 35C heat of summer which made work difficult. I was very high up in the organisation but still not opportunity to advance was offered or given so it looked like a reached a peak for which no amount of accomplishment would offer me further job growth and opportunities. All decisions took way too long. There needed to be a Fast Track for some ideas while others needed to be more cautiously reviewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that every employee has a career path set and offered to them. If they reach their bench marks then that should be a green light to be moved up or given added or different responsibilities. Reviews and career path was something I always included in my PDP's with key staff but it was a personal choice I made not a company wide initiative.

Work-life balance at Reed Elsevier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWe only work 8 hours a day.

ConsNot a good company for IT fresh grads. Lack of trainings.

We value our employees...see ya later alligator!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI guess the severance is better than some.

ConsScrewed up New York and Dayton management with a total lack of focus and direction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent and advanced global, major, web services company

Director Engineering (Current Employee) New Providence, NJ (US)

ProsAdvanced technology, global presence, more than three billion us dollars revenue.

ConsLocated mostly in midwest, and there fore not as easily accessible for workers in Northeeast corridor.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue developing internal cloud and scale to compete globally. Continue developing, currently excellent team of employees, this is a precious asset.

Too big to fail

Executive Management (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsReed Expo, the US- based division I worked for, is a leader in the exhibition and trade show space. This organization is strong at understanding the important touch points of a myriad of industries.

ConsFor many industries, Reed Expo's lack of authenticity and foreword-thinking activities hamper their effectiveness in that particular segment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to work to understand that an industry event is more than just the specific days during which the trade show is held.

Good employer given the limit of the Dayton job market

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

ProsThey offer good benefits and (for my profession) very good compensation based on geographical location. Leadership within my group was good.

ConsOverall company leadership was lacking. They fail to adequately value their employees. Perhaps this is just how it is with Big Business, but moral consistently dropped over the course of my 7.5 years there.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people.

Start-up organization that closed quickly

Director (Former Employee) New Providence, NJ (US)

Prosthe workers and managers including many executives were strong and valuable players in Internet business and marketing.

ConsCEO was only focused on selling the unit. The other senior executives were strong, but were not given the freedom to grow the business for the long term.
    The division I worked had a poor business model - the model was to sell it.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't move so quickly into a new market that you're not willing to commit time, money and resources because you played with many people's lives when the organization was closed.

Low salary, company gutted.

Data Analyst (Former Employee) New Providence, NJ (US)

ProsLots of resources and opportunities to learn new technologies.

ConsWhen I was there, salary was very low (about 60% of what it should be). This doesn't matter now as the company has entered into a JV and been gutted.

Professional company with many but quite specific opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsIs a well respected and established company

ConsCulture is rather bureaucratic. No agile driven processes

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more visible/outgoing

I worked in Reed Elsevier Technology Services for a little over two years.

Engineer (Former Employee) Miamisburg, OH (US)

ProsCurrent technologies, great co-workers, decent benefits.

ConsThe use of mass layoffs to improve the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementControl the corporate rumor mill, most employees knew layoffs were coming weeks in advance.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!