Reed Elsevier Group

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros:
  • "ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great benefits, work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Large company that is trying to break out of its traditional publishing mentality into a fast-moving data provider.

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsThe company has a big footprint in many markets and is moving toward some new and exciting technologies/products. It is trying to promote cross fertilisation across its many businesses so there is often an opportunity to work in a completely new field if it is of interest to you. Also, the overall work/life balance is strong.

ConsThe corporate functions are generally quite removed from the day-to-day activities of the many businesses it owns. This means that it often acts more like an investment management firm rather than a head of a unified company. The CEO is very distant and culture/leadership from the top is not strong.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to better integrate the group, creating an environment where corp managers are eager to engage you and offer innovative ideas. This will also increase communication, making it less necessary for us to provide you with the great amount of data you require which burdens the businesses more than previous CEOs.

A difficult place to work

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Oxford, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for less than a year

ProsInteresting location and some nice people work there.

ConsI worked in the RETS area. It's over-siloed, over out-sourced and good communication between teams is difficult. the on boarding process is fatally flawed. The net result is that it is very difficult to understand how to do your job. There's too much process and very little procedure. They try to do things the ITIL way and fail miserably in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget about having a separate IT service department and integrate IT with the business areas.

Poor comminication and decisions from Senior managemnt

Windows Systems Administrator L3 (Former Employee)
Oxford, England

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsSalary was OK if you worked overtime. Team I worked in was good and we were able to attend some training.

ConsBad decisions and complete lack of communication from senior management. So poor that the directors outsourced devisions to an Indian company. No thought of employee welfare what so ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Very good work life balance

Senior Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Proswork life balance is extremely good in my area anyway, my managers are very approachable, the company is relatively well resourced.

Conshard to get anything done, some of the people in my area are quite cliquey and hard to get to know, I'm on a maternity contract and there is therefore little job security. I also don't really know if the job is as challenging or as interesting as initially "sold" in the interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm quite happy with the way things are run by management. Most of the managers I have worked with are quite approachable and easygoing, although I do find it hard to get clear, consistent answers at times.

Excellent company

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros- Great mission and contribution to society
- Talented management
- Strong financial results allowing for good compensations
- Very good employee atmosphere

Cons- Not yet as innovative as we would like it to be
- Not changing as fast as we would like
- You need to find your own opportunities to progress

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs more bold changes
We need to invest more in technology
We need to become more knowledgeable about our customers

Excellent and advanced global, major, web services company

Director Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAdvanced technology, global presence, more than three billion us dollars revenue.

ConsLocated mostly in midwest, and there fore not as easily accessible for workers in Northeeast corridor.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue developing internal cloud and scale to compete globally. Continue developing, currently excellent team of employees, this is a precious asset.

Too big to fail

Executive Management (Former Employee)
Norwalk, CT (US)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than a year

ProsReed Expo, the US- based division I worked for, is a leader in the exhibition and trade show space. This organization is strong at understanding the important touch points of a myriad of industries.

ConsFor many industries, Reed Expo's lack of authenticity and foreword-thinking activities hamper their effectiveness in that particular segment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to work to understand that an industry event is more than just the specific days during which the trade show is held.

Good employer given the limit of the Dayton job market

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Dayton, OH (US)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey offer good benefits and (for my profession) very good compensation based on geographical location. Leadership within my group was good.

ConsOverall company leadership was lacking. They fail to adequately value their employees. Perhaps this is just how it is with Big Business, but moral consistently dropped over the course of my 7.5 years there.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people.

Start-up organization that closed quickly

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for less than a year

Prosthe workers and managers including many executives were strong and valuable players in Internet business and marketing.

ConsCEO was only focused on selling the unit. The other senior executives were strong, but were not given the freedom to grow the business for the long term.
The division I worked had a poor business model - the model was to sell it.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't move so quickly into a new market that you're not willing to commit time, money and resources because you played with many people's lives when the organization was closed.

Low salary, company gutted.

Data Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of resources and opportunities to learn new technologies.

ConsWhen I was there, salary was very low (about 60% of what it should be). This doesn't matter now as the company has entered into a JV and been gutted.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reed Elsevier Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Reed Elsevier Group CEO Erik Engstrom. All 71 reviews are posted anonymously by Reed Elsevier Group employees.