Reed Elsevier Group

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated 13 December 2014
Updated 13 December 2014
3.2

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Excellent benefits package, including time off for volunteer work, access to e-Learning is included (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal (in 7 reviews)

• Difficult to break into executive management internally (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good career prospects

Current Employee - Finance Department in London, England
    Current Employee - Finance Department in London, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Global exposure
    - Diversity of work
    - Training opportunities
    - Great people
    - long-term career

Cons

- awful politics
    - terrible health insurance - just been cut back for next year
    - Continual re-organizations

One of the company's core values is "Valuing our people". You might think that you're doing a good job of this but you're not. It's the little things that matter...

Great first employer!

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator in London, England

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a amazing time working at Elsevier! The company offered a supportive environment, good benefits and training.

Cons

The compensation wasn't great and there didn't seem to be a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Provide more opportunities for advancement and improve pay.

A Dead end for it staff in the UK

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

"an excellent starting package with pension and medical.

Cons

The IT division RETS (reed Elsevier technology services) is almost all run from the US so the UK is treated like a poor offshoot, poor training if any causing a general de skilling of UK IT staff over time, no bonuses, a 3% cap on pay rises although 2% in more common, a promotion path that is totally unworkable leaving people undervalued.

managerial change is the norm and I personally have had 7 managers in the last 5 years, everyone knows they will be sacrificed for the bottom line regardless as to there use to the company often leading to huge gaps that need to be filled quickly, this reactive approach is not dynamic but flawed as the upper management have no technical understanding yet force decisions that later often prove to be expensive and incorrect, don't work here in the UK if you want management to respect or listen to you.

Solid global corporation, but not brilliant at career development

Current Employee - Technology in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Technology in Oxford, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work in the Elsevier bit, in particular the Technology group, recently taken over by Dan Olley (2013). (Elsevier is the Science publishing group). The company used to be very bureaucratic, faceless, etc., a lot of tech talent got out-sourced. Olley looks like he's stopping this.

And the openness has been changing in the last two or three years, it's a more friendly company than it used to be. The benefits are pretty good for the sector, and the salaries at the senior end of thing are relatively attractive when you're coming into the company. There are plenty of travel opportunities - mostly, in my case, to Amsterdam, Dayton (Ohio) and Philly. Internal communications used to be unspeakably bad, but is improving.

Even if you think you know Elsevier to be a big company, the scale of it will amaze you. Ten years in, and I can still find myself in an office of 500 people without knowing a single person there, or even know what they do! Personally, I like this, but then I'm a loud-mouth.

Despite what I'm going to say in the 'cons' section, I reckon I fit in quite well at Elsevier. It's not what I expected, but it suits for personal reasons (young family, blah blah blah). Probably best for self-motived extroverts.

Cons

The Oxford (Kidlington) office is a souless hole, especially compared with Amsterdam, which is (now that it's been revamped) a far more engaging environment. If you don't get an office in Oxford from the start, you won't get one. Compared with Amsterdam, where if you had an office (almost no-one does now), you wouldn't want one. The Mendeley office in London seems like a nice place. Philly and Dayton are ... well, meh.

Ditto salaries - it will take YEARS to get any kind of promotion or rise unless you're on the management programme (and I don't think the Technology / IT group has a management / career development programme). The HR team talk a lot about recruiting talent, but very little about retaining it, or developing it (again, I can only speak to the technology group). I would recommend working here for a couple of years and then going elsewhere for career dev, and not uprooting yourself and the family for a long-term relationship.

If you're ambitious in technology, it can be frustrating place to work. There seems to be a lot of people in the business side who have tech responsibilities and I don't know how that all ties together. Maybe it'll get sorted, but it's been like that for longer than I've been there and doesn't look like it's getting there. The story seems a familiar one from Dilbert: if you're outside the company you get taken more seriously... On the upside, once your projects get funded and supported, they get delivered and supported. This is a good thing, and I've been lucky in that all my projects have been successful - this isn't rewarded financially, but it feels really good. Some poor sods seem to get all the bad luck.

The tech stack was more limited than it was - used to be MS throughout. Not so much anymore, although Oracle dominates the db side. The fulfilment systems are a hoot. Some of the ideas that come through are really exciting, which makes up for it (but you need to engage with the cool stuff, before some people get all negative about delivery), I find enthusiasm and engagement really helps deliver.

1) Have some way of identifying your technology talent and developing their careers. The management programme seems to work well in the 'business' side, why not do something similar?

2) Do something with the Oxford office. Almost anything. It's the second worst thing about the job, but it's close, it feels like a passive-aggressive library.

3) The person who runs the Amsterdam office seems to know what they're talking about. As does Olley.

Very corporate but has its moments.

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great experience to put on your CV

Cons

Large corporate inertia rather apparent

Maybe be more proactive than reactive.

Outstanding company

Current Employee - Full-Time in London, England
    Current Employee - Full-Time in London, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very successful company; share price doubled in last four years; strong management; good vision; excellent products and services; innovative; treats employees well; good CSR. Unlike many competitors has crossed the chasm from print to digital and is on the forefront of big data. Worth the journey.

Cons

Still silos between the businesses; slow-moving at times.

Communicate more. You have a great story to tell

A difficult place to work

Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in Oxford, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting location and some nice people work there.

Cons

I worked in the RETS area. It's over-siloed, over out-sourced and good communication between teams is difficult. the on boarding process is fatally flawed. The net result is that it is very difficult to understand how to do your job. There's too much process and very little procedure. They try to do things the ITIL way and fail miserably in my opinion.

Forget about having a separate IT service department and integrate IT with the business areas.

Large company that is trying to break out of its traditional publishing mentality into a fast-moving data provider.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

The company has a big footprint in many markets and is moving toward some new and exciting technologies/products. It is trying to promote cross fertilisation across its many businesses so there is often an opportunity to work in a completely new field if it is of interest to you. Also, the overall work/life balance is strong.

Cons

The corporate functions are generally quite removed from the day-to-day activities of the many businesses it owns. This means that it often acts more like an investment management firm rather than a head of a unified company. The CEO is very distant and culture/leadership from the top is not strong.

Work to better integrate the group, creating an environment where corp managers are eager to engage you and offer innovative ideas. This will also increase communication, making it less necessary for us to provide you with the great amount of data you require which burdens the businesses more than previous CEOs.

Poor comminication and decisions from Senior managemnt

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator L3 in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator L3 in Oxford, England

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Salary was OK if you worked overtime. Team I worked in was good and we were able to attend some training.

Cons

Bad decisions and complete lack of communication from senior management. So poor that the directors outsourced devisions to an Indian company. No thought of employee welfare what so ever.

N/A

Very good work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Editor in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in London, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

work life balance is extremely good in my area anyway, my managers are very approachable, the company is relatively well resourced.

Cons

hard to get anything done, some of the people in my area are quite cliquey and hard to get to know, I'm on a maternity contract and there is therefore little job security. I also don't really know if the job is as challenging or as interesting as initially "sold" in the interview.

I'm quite happy with the way things are run by management. Most of the managers I have worked with are quite approachable and easygoing, although I do find it hard to get clear, consistent answers at times.

Reed Elsevier Group Photos

Reed Elsevier (Photo thanks to Flickr user shinichi, Some Rights Reserved)
Reed Elsevier Headquarters