Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com
Profile Unclaimed

Low professional standards and no respect for experience and knowledge.

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Benefits, but I don't really know how well these compare with other companies.

Cons

Employees are treated as disposable. Employees in the UK have no properly constituted representation and management are free to ignore workers issues on reorganisation. Professional standards have been lowered to match a cost-cutting mentality which drives the business, with quality as a distant secondary consideration. Innovation is being touted as the way forward but there is little evidence of this. Unimaginative management and a lack of real vision is holding back this development. Company is unwilling to invest in research and development and consequently is behind competitors in key areas. Company vision is too inward looking and too process driven to the point where what we do (to generate revenue) seems less important than how we do it. A cheap employee rather than an expert employee seems to be the prevaling vision. Not a plan for cutting-edge achievement.

Respect and value expertise and knowledge in your people. Uphold the values you advocate. Invest in the future and don't expect to get something for nothing.

Excellent company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

- Great mission and contribution to society
    - Talented management
    - Strong financial results allowing for good compensations
    - Very good employee atmosphere

Cons

- Not yet as innovative as we would like it to be
    - Not changing as fast as we would like
    - You need to find your own opportunities to progress

The company needs more bold changes
    We need to invest more in technology
    We need to become more knowledgeable about our customers

Opportunity, reward and job satisfaction: Reed Elsevier offers it all

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Excellent benefits and opportunities for professional development and career progression. There are always jobs advertised internally that offer progression or sideways moves. The benefits are significantly better than other companies I've worked for.

Cons

Communication is hit and miss. Because the company is so huge, achieving consistent and regular communication with employees is difficult. As a result, not everyone identifies with the company's vision and objectives as much as they could. Collaboration across departmetns within a business unit is difficult; collaboration across business units is almost unheard of.

Trust your employees and give them permission to use their judgement, even if it means they bend the rules. Staff need to know that not only is it OK but it's actually impertaive that we try new ways of doing things. Embracing change is not easy for many people. Management can lay the groundwork in such a way that actively welcoming or even initiating change is the status quo, by making sure that people know that risk taking is allowed.

Solution Development

Current Employee - Solution Development in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Solution Development in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Good prospects - good markets and nice environment. Good work-life balance and great people to work with. Compensation is very good, above market average.

Cons

Too many re-organisations and every year there is a squeeze on spending hiring etc to make the numbers, Very short term thinking.

Make sure you get the long term career progression right. You are loosing too many really good people along the way.

Art Director

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Awesome place to work. I loved working there. The people there were all first class.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Don't change.

Find some other place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Nice co-workers and the work in and of itself is interesting and rewarding.

Cons

If you are let go your boss will blackball you in the industry. Expect to know more than your boss does about the job, its day-to-day requirements, your sacrifices, and the product for which you are responsible.

Cull the herd and get people in supervisory positions who actually know what their employees do for a living.

Fairly satisfied

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

It's a fairly new company in Manila, more opportunity, more movement.

Cons

Politics is quickly growing within management

good product managers, unfortunate business strategy

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great employees and good assignments
     helpful feedback pay reasonable.

Cons

outsourcing is their new strategy; they dont put people and ethical values on their list of priorities

adopt values besides greed

Use you up and dump you - was much better years ago

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large, multi-national media company that successfully transitioned from print to digital. Lots of diversity and interesting locations, projects and really great, dedicated people.

Cons

Executive management can be stifling and are often misguided by expensive consultants. Loyalty, passion and dedication are quickly forgotten when senior management changes. The really sharp senior executives who get recruited and hired are smart enough to leave within a few weeks leaving behind backward-thinking mediocrity.

Former CEO Sir Crispin Davis was dedicated but best known for his 10 years of continual cost cutting. His successor Erik Engstrom has continued that legacy with a spend-to-save mentality that drove the share price up but at great cost to the workforce - resulting in layoffs and eroded customer retention. Recommend focusing on employee value and contribution vs. rank and titles. The firm values and invests in leadership but not the required expertise to a large degree.

Well managed, disliked by customers

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Decently run media company that looks after its employees well (particularly the senior ones). It continues to perform well financially despite not being able to keep its customers happy.

Cons

The corporate office is very removed from the rest of the business. Constant reorganisations across the businesses and not a lot of communication from head office about what's going on means employees are often on the dark. Not really doing anything creative or innovative - it's a pretty conservative company. They've had a long decade of cost cutting. Not a lot of of opportunity for personal growth at head office. You need to go into one of the businesses.

Reed Elsevier Group Photos

Reed Elsevier (Photo thanks to Flickr user shinichi, Some Rights Reserved)
Reed Elsevier Headquarters