Regions Financial

Regions Financial Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
Updated 23 October 2014
3.3

Regions Financial President, CEO, and Director O. B. Grayson Hall Jr.
O. B. Grayson Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Good work/life balance - manager gave me free paid (non-vacation) day off to allow me to move (in 20 reviews)

• Easy to advance in company, semi-national company (not a small town bank), good benefits (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is afraid to ask what the specific goals of upper management are (in 22 reviews)

• They push sales so hard that you're no longer focused on customer service (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Was very flexible with school

Former Employee - Proof Operator in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Proof Operator in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was very flexible with school. I was able to attend school full time and work full time.

Cons

I was not able to advance after I received my Accounting degree. I had to obtain a job outside the organization.

Great teams, and friendships built with co-workers because of severe understaffing.

Former Employee - Teller in Cedar Falls, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Cedar Falls, IA (US)

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were great. Very supportive and team oriented.

Cons

Absolute HR mess. Branches were ran by teller's because the hiring process is so slow. The manager's that were brought in were inexperienced and unproductive. It took over 2 years for the company to hire an Area President and over 18 months for there to be a Consumer Sales Manager hired (who was fired a month later). I graduated college and put an application in for promotion before looking elsewhere for employment. My first interview came the same day I told my boss I have an offer from another bank. I was then offered 4k less and told to make it up by selling insurance.

Take HR and hiring seriously, there should not be staffing issues when there are less than 10 branches in the entire state.

I hated it there no opportunities to move up unless you are kissing some......

Former Employee - Corporate in Hoover, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate in Hoover, AL (US)

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everything about Regions sucks this is a horrible company to work for or do business with

Cons

There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all There are not pros to Regions at all

train your managers not to suck

Great place to work if your highly organized and expect to be underpaid.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Regions Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, vacation time, and transferability if you choose to move somewhere else and want to transfer with the company. Health insurance is great as Regions is able to self-fund their health insurance so employees do not have to fear massive increases in premiums. In fact, from 2013-2014, premiums didn't rise at all! Family health insurance premiums are the same for any # of children so if you have 2 or more children, this is a great company to work for. Regions has made a terrific effort in creating opportunities and training for internal advancement. (please see cons of this)

Cons

If you are promoted internally, be sure you will be making thousands less than someone hired externally, and not just for a little while, but for years. Most Branch Managers promoted internally start out making in the low to mid 40,000's while those hired externally (which similar or even less experience) typically make in the 50k's from day one. Regions knows they have very competitive benefits and it shows in their salaries. The saying, "there is no such thing as a free lunch" rings true here. Basically, if you just want to earn more money and benefits are not as important you will be better off working for a smaller bank and vice versa. If you need good benefits Regions may be a better fit.

Simplify your business model and stop expanding into something new every year. It is very difficult to extend excellent customer service and be an expert on over one hundred products and processes that are constantly being updated and added to. Also, adjust your goaling on your tellers as not every teller can achieve the same #. Just walk through random branches and you will be able to tell that they all operate differently.

Great place to work if you live in Alabama or Tennessee

I have been working at Regions Financial (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love Regions company values

Cons

Banking has slowed down a lot due to online and mobile banking but the goals keep rising. Its discouraging when you go from meeting goals every quarter to barely or never meeting them. Its especially difficult when you live/work in a low-income, high-poverty area.

Certain people in management need to review the company values and learn how to encourage the team rather than discourage them with a bad attitude all the time. Regions used to be a fun place to work, I loved Regions! Now, it feels like you were walking into a funeral every, single day. My co-workers are great but something needs to change with senior management. We are constantly being micro-managed and threatened to be written up.

Experience varies depending on branch(manager)

Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sales goals for tellers aren't as difficult as other banks. Good support and tools provided. Depends on branch/manager if you will be happy.

Cons

Not nationwide, not up to speed with technology. Some branches have managers that are more concerned with themselves than the team.

Management varies from branch to branch- not everyone is up to par.

Great financial company in the Southeast

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at Regions Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Regions has a great corporate culture and continues to develop as a regional bank with a bright future. If you are willing to work hard developing as a professional, you can advance within the organization.

Cons

Management at times can be slightly dislocated from the employees in the markets. Expense tightening has also some departures and additional responsibility for those currently at Regions.

Great people but a little behind

I have been working at Regions Financial

Pros

Great support from managers and those that have been with the company. lots of training to get you up to speed and continued support.

Cons

Some systems seem outdated and slows down processes. Needs to look at what other institutions offer and catch up to the times.

Keep encouraging and supporting

Great place

I have been working at Regions Financial full-time

Pros

If banking is your fit then Regions is a great place to start.

Cons

As with any job there is small cons to this company

Great place to work while in school

Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at Regions Financial part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experience in customer service,well -rounded employment standards

Cons

Depends on which branch you work for will decide if you will have a great experience or negative experience

Great leadership and team Managment