Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help (in 20 reviews)

• I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

The Road from Proud to Discontented

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Friendly people, work/life balance, food stocked kitchens, free coffee, Minnesota spring, summer and fall. If you are interested in settling for complacency without any opportunity for career growth, this is your organization.

Cons

Minnesota winters...seriously...the last 6+ yrs have been extremely frustrating with multiple reorganization efforts, change in leadership, too many lay offs to count both at Salon Support and in the field. For as long as I can remember, leadership has been talking about turning Regis into an Employer of Choice...I have come to learn that this is just what it has been....talk only. There is absolutely no career track in corporate and in fact, nearly all promotional opportunities are extended to outsiders...There seems to be a general philosophy to ignore talent within while filing new opportunities with talent from the outside. Keeping in mind that the "outside" really means who you know...Upper management is bringing in their own people. There is talent at corporate who are not taken seriously. Thus, many experienced, well educated and deserving employees have voluntarily taken their skills elsewhere. Kudos to them.

Take stock in your employees. Give them credit for what they do and what they know. An occasional lunch outing is great, but does not replace any opportunity to be challenged and grow.

Unfair management, always working weekends, unappreciated, low pay, terrible business ethics

Current Employee - Stylist  in  Watsonville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Watsonville, CA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

There is nothing that comes to mind.

Cons

Lets start off with management because thats one of the biggest problems with this corporation, the management here is so shady ive worked in 7 different stores all but one was the manager pleasant to work for. I often felt as though there was so much tension between hair stylist and managers that even the customers would feel uncomfortable there , it results in hairstylist building clientele as fast as they can and leaving to a better work environment.
    Also understand working here means no weekends off ever unless you are the manager or friends with the manager, this also adds to a hostile work environment.
    Then the pay... the numbers are ridiculous of revenue collected in a month at most stores they can afford to pay more then minimum but this company does not care about the stylist so they pay you as low as your state will allow ,if Supercuts had it their way they would be paying you in beans. Sure you get tips, but because of the clientele the Supercuts draws in because if its chinsy demeanor you often get stiffed. And the "sliding pay scale" thats a carrot dangling in front of a donkey. No one I have ever met has slid a substantial amount the most ive ever heard was 30 cents.

Care for your stylist, they are the core of this operation.

Loyal to themselves

Former Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedule - That's about it

Cons

Goals are unrealistic, no regard for experience, ivory tower mentality, nonsensical beliefs and objectives.

Get in touch with the reality. Treat your employees fair - they work with your customers every day - your customers are not loyal to the name on the front of the building - they are loyal to the person doing their hair and will not tolerate poor execution or service - Sad to see what a mess you have made -

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

could be a great place to work because we have the customers

Current Employee - Hair Stylist  in  Southern Pines, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Southern Pines, NC (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Busy Salon. My salon manager is great. I love my customers. My coworkers are cool.

Cons

Pay is very low, Cant use floor mats due to lawsuit, can only use their Regis Brand hair products on back bar, Cheap continuing education classes. Nothing modern. Run down salon with crappy ceilings, floors, booths. Lights are always burnt out, flies everywhere. Matrix color is terrible, sinks are broken...Corporate needs to remodel our salon before other salons push us out because there is money to be made there.

To Corporate: Please stop treating us like infants

Former Management

Current Employee - Salon Manager  in  Panama City, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Panama City, FL (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Place to start out

Cons

The pay rate is not the best

Lots of room for improvement if Upper Management would just LISTEN!!

Current Employee - Stylist (Former Manager)
    Current Employee - Stylist (Former Manager)

I have been working at Regis Corporation for more than 8 years

Pros

High traffic, great guests, supplies equipment

Cons

Low commission pay scale, under staffed, working alone, turning away business due to lack of help, high turn over, poor management, favoritism, no floor mats (which is a big deal!), unfair scheduling, no education for new stylists, poor communication, no appointments for Senior/Master Stylists (guest complaints) and lack of open door policy

Open up the lines of communication and listen to your managers and stylists. There are so many simple and common sense ideas we have that can help fix the lack of profit. Walk In Only Salons need new innovative ideas to help maintain our guest counts like master stylists booking appointments while newer staff gains clientel by taking walk ins.

District Leader

Former Employee - District Leader  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - District Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Worked closely and made positive impact in my staff and vice versa.

Cons

Corporate has little understanding of how field operations work. They expect fuels leadership to do hair AND "run" up to 8 managers. Read their recent "earnings call" transcripts and you'll realize they have little understanding how to deliver a best in class experience to anyone but their corporate salaries.

Get out of Illinois and the northern states when you do field research. Creating new positions for million dollar salary heads is NOT going to turn your earnings call in a new direction. You recently castrated your field leadership by expecting them to lead multiple units while maintaining the production standards if a high producing stylist. Very interesting concept since no one up in Edina has worked a single hour behind the chair much less know how to do hair. Yet you laid off all your non-technical field leadership. Hmmm, hypocrites maybe?

Company has potential, but doesn't invest enough in front-line employees

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Many salons will hire you with little experience, which is a great way to get into the cosmetology industry, because many private salons will not even give you a chance. For Smart Style salons, the walk-in traffic you have access to is wonderful for those who do not have an established clientele.

Cons

The amount of pay you receive is laughable for an adult that has taken the time to go to school for a cosmetology license. The wage is hourly minimum wage or commission percentage of services, which ever is greater at the end of the pay period. Commission starts low at 38%. You do have the opportunity to earn more ( I received a 5% raise after meeting a particular amount of sales standards), but since many stores don't allow their employees to be true full-time employees (35-40 hrs), you still end up making a very low wage.

Pay stylists what they are worth. They are on the front lines directly facing your customers and without them, you wouldn't have a company. This would prevent the massive amount of turn over the company experiences, making for a much more stable business. The customers can sense the instability very well.

Flexible hours but pay sucks

Current Employee - Cosmetologist  in  Colonial Heights, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Colonial Heights, VA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like my job but cannot afford much with the pay I make. Health insurance cost too much for what we make in pay. Health insurance doesn't pay out much either. Benefits include 401 K but no matching. Regis stock they match but if you take them up on all the benefits you dont even get enough money on your check to survive.

Cons

Pay sucks! Lots of drama between coworkers. No organization. Incentive programs that really don't motivate you. Morale is down.I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher.plus any tips you get taxes come out of your check on them and then after benefits you have like a 200.00-300.00 dollar paycheck every 2 weeks. It doesnt even cover my rent.

none

Salon Manager

Former Employee - Salon Manager
    Former Employee - Salon Manager

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co-workers, walk-in's, 3 weeks paid vacation higher because I was a manager

Cons

no follow thru with anything, Area supervisor was of NO HELP!!! , no training for my staff fell to manager to train, no receptionist which took my staff away from their clients, bad pay for my new staff (7.25 who can live on this?)

Listen to your salon mangers they live and breath this everyday!! They are your bread and butter and who makes your salon money!!!

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!