Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated 27 April 2015
257 reviews filtered by

Terrible experience, horrible wages for a stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, flexible hours, thanksgiving off, most major holidays off, got to try new Regis products and sometimes got nice samples of products. I liked doing hair also but this company ruined that happiness for me.

Cons

Terrible. Terrible. Wage. I canny stress enough how wrong the wage scale they have at the Regis salon I worked at was. They started me out at 7.25$ an hour which I understood because I had just gotten out of hair school, however upon working there I realized the other stylists who had been there 10yrs + we're still at minimum wage, and on this bogus sliding scale that due to the economy was difficult for most of us to meet. If you did make commission they took massive chunk out of it. I was at 40% commission and many times would make the salon 1,000$ and see my check at 350$ after taxes. How do you live off of that? You don't. Even with tips it's not a livable wage for a specialized field. I spent $17,000 to get my Cosmo degree and was making anywhere from $210-$350 a check because the salon wasn't that busy and int this economy it's tough to build a clientele who will spend 60$ for all over color, and $26 for a cut. The company is totally disconnected from its employees and the employees are vastly frustrated, work extra jobs to make ends meet and it causes of course drama in the salon which never ended. Even our salon manager was unprofessional.

I had such a horrible experience at this salon chain that I may just quit doing hair all together. If the money is that pathetic for spending hours with one client and making sure they are happy it's not worth it.

Also this company provided No training. When I started there I had never used matrix products because my education facility taught us with gold well. They just threw you out there with products you never used before then wondered why people made mistakes too. Which they did often across the board. When I asked for a quick course they threw 90's era DVDs at me which were about wella and not even matrix products.

They simply do not care about employees and will push you to make them more money in sales and retail products and could careless if your take home is the same as if you had worked at Burger King.

Advice to Management

You are totally disconnected from the reality of a living wage and the lives of your stylists day to day in the salon

They have replaced everyone that knew anything about the company with people from totally unrelated businesses!

Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co- workers and customers were great, they work with quality products and they have some great stylists.

Cons

They claim to want to be the " employer of choice", but they treat their people horribly! The pay is awful, and the so called benefits are a joke!

Advice to Management

Start treating your people like they matter!

fun people

Former Employee - Shipping in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Shipping in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free product, funny nice people

Cons

Mexicans need to speak english

Advice to Management

calm down

Not good at all....

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved doing hair. It was nice to get free stuff from vendors.

Cons

The pay is terrible!!!! Managing a salon, marketing the salon to the area, AND being behind the chair and making commission. Literally impossible when you have to do all those things. Not to mention barely making over minimum wage. Upper management was terrible once they changed everything. My first 2 district leaders were great! I went in every high performers award trip they held for the managers and I still couldn't get a raise from the company. My salon was a newer SmartStyle in a wealthy area so it was difficult to build. Needless to say, I spent countless hours/days working for a company who really doesn't want to pay anyone.

Advice to Management

Be supportive. Pay your stylists/managers.

6. I liked working for this company. Great experience!

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start. It was very busy and I sharpened my skills very fast. I met all background of people.

Cons

There wasn't as much education opportunities. Management at my location could have been better in my opinion.

Shameful

Current Employee - Stylist in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MY customers and co workers. This company does not deserve to say they lead the industry. They treat their employees terrible. We do way more than be hair stylist for them. We are secretaries, maids, plumbers, advertisors, and more! The customers are their last concern. Over 20 yrs I've worked for them and I am treated no different than a new hire. Shame in me for staying so long with a company that manipulates, not educates, and blames their employees for their low wages instead of their impossible production scale. This company takes from their employees daily through coupons. I pray the truth comes out sooner than later.

Cons

Changes, changes daily. Leadership is horrible. No commincation beyond store level. Company has low standards for the condition of their stores. Safety stanards non exsistant. Focus on everthing but the customer, more than likely due to corporation lacks anyone from the industry.

Advice to Management

Go back to basics. Re-invest in your stores. Value your employees. This doesn't have to be in the form of money. Appreciate those that have been loyal. Always make the customer first. Lastly, comunicate...it solves anything.

No raises EVER

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Free tools to use.

Cons

Sliding scale is a rip off when they schedule 4 people a day. There's no way to increase base pay

Advice to Management

Stop trying to get over on the stylist

Numbers. You are just a number.

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

Hourly wage, once in awhile free products.

Cons

Working with district leader (northeastern Ohio)

Advice to Management

Learn respect to your employees.

Not very caring

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for just out of school stylists, gain up on product knowledge, meet a lot of interesting people

Cons

Paid $7.25 an hour, can only make more if you meet commission but if its in a small town and a small salon then you're screwed, doesn't care about the safety of employees, tries to charge people without being straight forward (ie, charging an extra $1 for conditioner rather than putting it within the price of the cut/shampoo), no extra training other than outdated videos, if you're not in a manager position then don't expect to get more than 24 hours a week, also no bonuses and you have to work on holidays.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about your employees and listen to what they're saying and why. Don't assume every salon has the amount of people coming in as another salon. We're all very different and not all salons are busy. We can't force someone to get their hair done.

Awful

Former Employee - Master Designer in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Master Designer in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks. You get free samples of all new products and get to attend some fashion shows.

Cons

No support from management. There is no HR department. Company policies that would benefit employees are not enforced. State Board rules/regulations are not complied with. Repairs that need to be made to salon are not ever done unless the manager does it themselves. No rewards for seniority or benefits or recognition for being there a long time. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Get trained on how to deal with people. Don't pick favorites. Comply with company and board policies. Hire experienced individuals instead of just trying to "fill chairs".

Regis Corporation Photos