Rent-A-Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rent-A-Center Chairman and CEO Mark E. Speese

Mark E. Speese

Pros:
  • "working with people fast paced environment good pay"
    in 38 reviews
  • "decent pay because there is no time or energy to spend it"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Absolutely NO work/life balance - you are lucky if you get a couple of hours a day with your family"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Long hours/days, and starting salaries are good; but raises could be slightly better"
    in 71 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was fine until I got hurt but then the claws came out.

Customer Account Representative (Former Employee)
Plymouth, IN (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed the time I spent with my co-workers as it could be fun. Other than that, I can't think of a good reason to work there.

ConsYou're not paid for what you end up doing, the benefits are sub-par, the hours are horrible even for retail, and if you get hurt on the job then you end up being treated like an unwanted customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing so much on the bottom line no matter what and focus on what's really important, the customer! The fact that rent-to-own is already a pseudo-scam is bad enough but then you try to con people into deals that can't be paid just for the sales numbers to look good.

No hope of consecutive days off. Ever.

CAR (Former Employee)
Bellingham, WA (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for less than a year

ProsRegular weekly pay. I got to drive trucks which was fun.

ConsHard on the body, low pay rate, bad hours. I NEVER saw my kid. If your single, no kids, with little career experience, and wanna pack away some cash and getting some promotions that will look good on a future resume, I actually do recommend this job, otherwise don't even bother.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pitting employees against each other. Learn what it takes to lead a successful team. Fix it so people can get two consecutive days off. Not that hard - almost every other business in America manages it.

Overtime good, work place bad

Customer Account Representative (Former Employee)
Spring Valley, NY (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

ProsMandatory overtime (48+hr work week) makes for a good paycheck for an entry level position and there is health benefits.

ConsManagement can be clueless and unethical. They treat customers like they're stupid trying to sell them used merchandise in bad condition for outrageous prices.
Employees have sick/personal/vacation days but due to under staffing you rarely get to use them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your managers (store and district) actually care about their employees and customers. Sounds simple? It is. But very rare in this organization.

Upper Management Changed For The Worse

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGuaranteed Hours (minimum of 45+)
Good Benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401K)
Sundays always off, and 1 other day mid-week
Employee Purchase Plan (payroll deduction)
Good Opportunity for Promotion/Advancement

Within a year and a half, I was promoted from an Assistant Manager, to a Lead ASM, then to Store Manager. My District Manager and Regional Manager were both excellent; both were promoted within the company to other locations/jobs. My DM went on to expand the New Mexico region, and my former RM is now the CEO of ColorTyme.

ConsWell as the old saying goes, 'all good things must come to an end'. Within 6 months of being a GM, I got a new RM who started micro managing all the way down to the store level (which ultimately was the DM's responsibility). This sent a negative rift to each district, since every single transaction was being monitored. Very few got into trouble since they were doing the right thing, but there was a lot of gray areas, and the fact that you were constantly being questioned was a real hassle. To be fair, it was an insult to most people's integrity. It was as if no one could be trusted, and for tenured managers, quite disconcerting.

Another year passed, and a new DM came from Puerto Rico. Rather than promote someone local, they promoted a GM from a top performing store instead. His family ended up not being able to handle acclimating to the USA, and ended up moving back to Puerto Rico to work for RAC Acceptance. So then they promoted the most tenured GM and gave him the DM position. This same GM literally refused to transfer needed inventory to any other store, citing how he had to pay transportation costs, time and effort just to give it up to another store. He had a bad rap, and no one liked him. Quite frankly, he was a bonafide jerk (to put it lightly) who questioned everything, and made you feel like you didn't know what you were doing (even though you were a tenured manager proven of doing the job). This, along with the RM and DM being on a conference call with me screaming, yelling and making false accusations the day before Easter Sunday, lead me to leave the company. It was so bad I called corporate, advised them of the false allegations, and backed it up with my numbers (which were mostly above average). No action was taken, not even an apology. Just terrible, but it was time to go.

Sales are a constant struggle in this business to produce numbers, and the tremendous amount of pressure and stress to get there. Every day someone must be making at least 50 calls, or more if there is a promotion going on. Then you go to 'war', a/k/a 'war room' where on a specific Friday all the DM's get together and you call in every sale to get prizes. Collections goals can be difficult to achieve unless a) you pressure the customer to pay by giving them a consequence if they don't, or b) you simply return merchandise. The only exception to this will be tax time where your customer can't wait to payoff their agreements. Depending on how well you treat the customer, they will either come back soon, or tell you they will never do business with you ever again.

As an assistant manager, you'll be required to 'run' customers homes that can be in some bad areas in an effort to get them to pay or return. Be prepared... you'll encounter filthy living conditions including roaches, bed bugs, fecal matter. There are also strict policies and procedures; you can be fired for renting to a co-workers family or friends. You could also be accused of faking phone calls and terminated even though you know the end result of the phone call is no answer, disconnected, not accepting incoming calls, not available now. It goes without saying if you steal you will be immediately.

One last point is that the bonus plan changed; it used to be that your bonus was based on profit percentage. Then they changed it based on your growth. They beefed everyone up into thinking it was going to be this great thing, and everyone was going to make more money. I was very pessimistic about it, and it turned out I was right. The 3rd & 4th quarter 2010 turned out great, but then the 1st & 2nd quarter 2011 were a complete bomb, because the company had set such high expectations. Very few would win in a depressed economy.

I can't recommend this company due to the high turnover, and lack of respect for employees from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and trust your managers. If they make a mistake, give them another chance to fix it before making rash decisions. Think about the whole picture... What are they doing behind the scenes for the betterment of the company? Maybe it's saving a ton of money on labor cost, or operating expenses. Maybe they have an amazing percent collected (meaning they are doing right by the customer), or their profit percentage is high. Look into these other factors. Raise the 5.9% collection standard to retain more customers. Train, coach, and develop your employees to reduce turnover. Most importantly, be positive in everything you do, to motivate vs. negatively influence to achieve better results.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Policies are changed within the District and Region without real Guidelines

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStore Managers pay starts at $50,000 per year in the Atlanta, GA area.

ConsStore Managers do not have the "true" ability to hire or terminate employees. Often the District Manager hires employees for the Store Level. There is no real guidelines for work hours. I have often found the best thing to do is establish a SPECIFIC time when you will be at work and when you will not be at work. In other words, make it your culture to arrive and leave at specific times. You will be required to work till 9pm on nights when CREDIT is bad in the Region. Store Managers should not constantly be on the Rent-A-Center truck. Store Managers are being forced to Run the store and Deliver Merchandise. The reason for this is the company makes Billions on dollars on overworking current workers. Stop being cheap and hire enough workers (full time or part time) to deliver merchandise or field visits. The stores are extremely understaffed! Each one of them. Store Managers have also been forced to

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow a UNION. Store Managers should opt to have a place to voice complaints. The company has a 1800 number that often warns Regional Managers and District Managers ahead of time allow these same violators of policies a chance to correct before anyone outside the company notices. Another lawsuit is looming based on Females being hired with the company also. The company demands all workers lift a certain amount of weight. Most females claim to be able to lift that amount, however many are unable to.

Do as I say, not as I do company!

Sales Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Honolulu, HI (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

ProsMeet people. Help them to get furniture, appliances, electronics that they otherwise could not afford.

ConsCustomers who get the items then skip out on paying, then have go out and collect.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Work with them, don't out rank them, belittle them. Be one with them.

Nice people to work with. Dedicated to their jobs and the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time

ProsCoworkers are very nice. The company's business model helps a certain population achieve their version of the American dream.

ConsHard for women and minorities in the field to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a leadership development program for women and minorities to help advance their careers beyond District Manager.

Long and exhausting

Customer Account Representative (Current Employee)
Maplewood, MN (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for less than a year

ProsGood money and sometimes good people.

ConsLong hours
Micromanaged way to much
No advancement opportunities
No team oriented environment

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit micromanaging and trust your employees

Ok pay, with ok management

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Everett, WA (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent amount of pay for the work performed and average stress that is manageable. Expectations are clear and precise. Down time is moderate and training and procedures are quite helpful as a tool to perform the job.

ConsTime management and the management of employees, along with stress management of their employees, are poor depending on stores. Sink or swim environment and not enough time for proper training and development for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs an assistant manager in the store, who have studied in HR, I see the lack of informational training enforced through Computer based training. Also, there is a high level of return on expectation of their employees to perform with minimal enforcement of training. Not everyone performs or learns the same way, and an analysis of RAC management teams should act accordingly, instead of second guessing in fear of retaliation of district managers. I have also noticed how the management of stores would blame untrained employees for their mistakes, i.e. tell a worker to grab an item, not allowing them to check serial numbers and instead rushing them out of the store, due to poor time management or outright forgetfulness of management, and perform counseling to an unknowingly employee of their mistake that was made when the employee was only following directions and not informed of company policy.

assistant manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Proswill be able to work under pressure, constantly training

Conshours are too much , low pay for the type of work

Advice to Senior Managementless politics , better pay and benefits

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rent-A-Center reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rent-A-Center CEO Mark E. Speese. All 377 reviews are posted anonymously by Rent-A-Center employees.