Rent-A-Center Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 43 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 37 reviews)

• Very long hours(10-12 a day) - and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a place I would recommend

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

You do meet a lot of people
    You do have the potential to make a bonus,
    (But don't depend on it.. if you have a slow store, charge off's/delinquent payers, all of these things will affect your getting that bonus.)

Cons

Slow sales, ineffective and VERY slow support from the collection team for delinquent payments, 1st payment defaults, pick ups, EXTREMELY HIGH &FAST EMPLOYEE TURNOVERS, deliberate flouting of religious beliefs/freedom (won't give you days off for church) DM'S don't complete the 32+files/calls as per SOP, THEY EXPECT YOU TO DO THEIR WORK FOR THEM.

Rotate Sunday AND Monday off...
    live UP to company motto of improving life for employees as well as customer. Otherwise. .
    you just sound pompous and insincere.

ALOT OF WORK AND LONG HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get great pay and big bonuses.

Cons

You do a lot of work and sometimes other people work. They are all about your numbers. It sucks because you have a sorry sales manager making your schedule, and while they leave early everyday your doing all the work. if your have a organized fair sales manager then it will be okay but this job is stressful your away from your family all the time.

Sales managers should only be allowed to make fair schedules. They should also listen to employees concerns a lot more. If you take care of your employees they will take care of you.

Great benefits, they promote from with in. Competitive sales.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bolivar, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bolivar, TN (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are Excellent. They train you and promote from with in. If you like sales, this is a great place to work because RAC is sales driven and all about the numbers. You really get to know your customers. If you are a people person this is good.

Cons

Off days are never together. They are always closed sundays. And the other off day is Tues, Wedns, or Thurs. To force sales, corporate sends out emails district wide with numbers and taunting or ridiculing poor sales performance. Collections can be stressful. Every Thursday is cold calls to generate sales from previous customers or references.

Try positive tactics to encourage associates to meet or exceed sales goals instead.

Great work environment

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

good company good benifits

Cons

must have a valid drivers license without any problems cause first 6 mo you will be driving

It was a very demanding job. It gave me challenges which I love.

Former Employee - Assistant Credit Manager in Morristown, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Credit Manager in Morristown, TN (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It gave me challenges. It was fast pace for the most part. Everyday there was things that was the same yet different. I enjoyed the physical labor and the clerical demands. My co-workers were wonderful. The management was understanding when it came to family matters.

Cons

Sometimes upper management didn't value anything it was always about numbers more than what you had accomplished.

Promote more and value your employees.

Customer Account Manager

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago Heights, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago Heights, IL (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked working with customers
    I liked providing good customer service
    I liked selling products
    I liked helping people in need
    Decent pay

Cons

Having to do office work and make deliveries
    Having to repo merchandise
    Constant collections calls and harassment
    Overtime is not an option.
    Not much schedule flexibility

Create a positive team environment. Do role playing to motivate sales. Discuss sales strategies. Promote team dynamics. Create positive work environment with less negativity. Hire people to specifically do deliveries and repos so office staff can focus on customer service and sales. Less long 12 hour days of work. More sick time and vacation days. Promote continuing education. Create part time opportunities.

Take from the poor, the rich get richer.

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you want to learn the Rent to Own industry, this company will teach you.

Cons

As a part of this company for over 15 years I have had the opportunity to become a part of the growth of what was once considered a great company. At one time I felt privileged and honored to be apart of something that special. To be the biggest and the best in the industry, not only the leader but once an innovator.
    That was the RAC of old, today is quite a different story. This has always been a tough business, but this company has made it more difficult for the field to produce. Let me explain.
    Disorganized:
    This is the first word that comes to mind when describing the inner workings of this company. There is a huge disconnect from the Home Office to their field operations. Antiquated business model, marketing, and overall reactive management style to problems and results that have existed for years, problems and results that the company itself has contributed to, causes nothing but stress and confusion in the field, attributing to unsavory management tactics and uncontrollable turnover.
    Profit before People:
    Our mission statement reads " To improve the quality of life for our coworkers and customers." Stop the charade. This company focuses on the negative results and behaviors on a daily basis. This company paints a picture that they do great things for their people, they do....the top 10%. Short of that you are a tangible item and even then, have a bad year and you join the majority. Pay cuts recently went into effect....wait I mean " You asked, we've listened". This company has lost revenue for the first three quarters of 2014 in its Core Rent to Own stores and have closed 150 stores to boot. Let's call the hourly employee's schedule and pay change what it really is shall we.
    Communication:
    We as a company in our field operations rely on communication between one another in our stores and more importantly with our customers. With that comes the communication from above, our support system. We teach our people to become better communicators, yet the communication from our support system ( home office) is terrible at best. If a new initiative was placed today there will be countless retractions and changes by the weeks end. Things have to be streamlined at the top before they can be where it counts the most.
    Competition:
    We fight hard day in and day out to find and make sales. We don't have the typical traffic of a traditional retail establishment. In most cases you are competing against your own company. We have grown by over saturating areas not only with brick and mortar RTO stores,but subsidiaries of our company in a manned and unmanned kiosk format in those traditional retail environments. Our hopes to capture other audiences have been taken away by our own people. Does it make the company a more solid entity, absolutely. At the same time we need to tailor the expectations for those faced with this kind of challenge. Instead we persecute those who can't achieve absurdity.
    The consumer is changing in our business and this company fails to move forward with those changes. Once an innovator, we are now one step behind. Have been for years now. We run the same promotions time and time again expecting goals that are purely reactive to the poor results given just a week before. This company paints the entire nation with the same brush not giving way to economic conditions geographically. If it's good in Texas, then it's good to go! Until they use 25+ years of data to find the answers we need in our business,in this industry, we are facing a hard struggle.
    My overall suggestion for employment with this company is this- stay away.

The company does not live it's values. Until it does and until the majority feels as such you are fighting a losing battle. Get in the field and talk to your people, other than the top 10%. Work life balance does not exist in this company. Their totem pole of importance doesn't include you or your family.

Long hours, no appreciation

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Sales Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Sales Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, extensive training, knowledge, experience, great benefits, lots to do, keeps you busy, quick promotion for those that management feels worthy

Cons

Long hours, no appreciation, no recognition, no fun or down time for support staff/employees, upper management enjoy lunches and fun days. Management take credit for accomplishments of staff

Appreciate your staff, give credit where it is deserved, not take credit when not warrented

Management is Horrible in Home Office

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job Security and paid weekly.

Cons

Pay looks to be good, until you find out what all you have to do.
    Management is horrible!!! I worked in the Home Office for three years and received a total of $1 raise for all three years, despite the high call volume. I would take well over 100 calls daily, while other "team" members did half that amount.
    No promotion advancement unless you kiss butt.
    I would be cussed out daily from customers and management would only past the buck. Never takes responsibility for the company's actions in the field.

Clean house starting with upper management, and go down the line in the call center.
    Actually start to care about your customers and not treat them like scum! They're the reason you're in business!

awesome people, horrible management

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the employees that work there are decent people, and there is constantly something to do that makes the day go by really fast.

Cons

This job is NOT for somebody with a family!!!! The days start really early and can go well into the night so if your kids are involved in anything at all be prepared to miss it. There expectations are impossible to achieve and there is constant pressure from upper management to meet those expectations or you will lose your job.

value your employees and give them a reason to want to stay and work hard.

Rent-A-Center Photos