Revlon
www.revloninc.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Revlon Reviews

Updated Apr 02, 2014
Revlon – Las Piñas – “Revlon cosmetics sm southmall”

Not yet rated.

Lorenzo Delpani

would look elsewhere if you want a company that will appreciate your hard work

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Revlon full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat product and great marketing

Conssenior management detached and unfocused. Very political organization. Don't expect to get ahead based on ability, talent or hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. You are getting rid of the people that were dedicated and have some talent and keeping those that tell you what you want to hear. Revlon used to be well regarded, but that is no longer the case.

Work work work

I worked at Revlon full-time for more than a year

ProsFlat organization, summer and holiday hours, small teams so it is easier to know who people are and what they do.

ConsVery lean organization - there's always too much work to be done and permanently short on people to do it. Work-life balance is heavily weighted towards work. Decision-making only at the top levels (VP and such), the rest is about getting someone else's decision implemented.

Your success depends on who you work for or who you know

I worked at Revlon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary, benefits, good location, summer Fridays

ConsToo many approvals needed for a decision to be made, a lot of bureaucracy, it's not what you know it's who you know, no career growth opportunities, no discount or perks

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow others a hand in decision making, there is too much dependency on the approval process. Effectively develop a plan for grooming your employees, offer computer training to enhance skills

Fast-paced, high-learning environment

I worked at Revlon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros* High profile company with leading brands that are (arguably) quite glamorous.
* Excellent learning environment, with a culture that encourages risk-taking and is not too process-driven/encumbered;
* Exposure to all facets of the business--operations, marketing, sales--no matter what your role is;

Cons* the nature of the industry means very long planning lead times and continual promotional development (which I suspect is a good thing, but sometimes can be stressful since the pace is so quick.)
* very cut throat industry where share points are jockeyed around
* depending on your level, politics can exist
* high brand spend can sometimes come at the expense of profitability. Which means cuts in personnel, plants, restructuring, have been many in the past 5-8 years.

Brand Manager

Brand Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Revlon full-time

Prosgood work life balance for employees

Conspay is extremely low for a reputable organization

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on grooming by providing opportunities to learn

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Just Average!

I worked at Revlon full-time

ProsNice People to work with

ConsBenefits are average or below
Career Development

Collaboration, more like Isolation

FPA Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Revlon full-time for more than a year

Pros- The pay is competitive compared to other similar firms.
- They try to work to provide employees with a work-life balance.
- International company with a strong brand.

Cons- Most of the work provided is mundane and repetitive. There is no real innovation at the company. Known to be a status quo company.
- Employee advancement is ridiculously limited. I met employees who have worked for the company for 35 years are still Senior Analyst and have not been provided the opportunity to move up within the firm.
- The company has a strategy of working separately and then throwing the separate parts together to create the product. There is not much collaboration between the departments in the company to create more innovative ideas to help grow the company.
- Honestly, I hear employees spend more time complaining about working for the company than actually doing work for the company. It's the saddest form of productivity ineffectiveness I have ever seen.
- Management is good at selling the company and its positions, but the pitch is a lot stronger than what they have to actually offer. A company with a brand this strong cant crack the Fortune 1000, there is a reason for that. Not where you want to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroom and grow. Stop picking people from other companies that have no idea about your product and strategies. Also pay closer attention to your current employees and reevaluate their effectiveness and cut the fat. Get younger, and innovate. Stop being status quo. Don't believe me look at their financials for the last 5 years, always between 1.0-1.3B

Used to be a lot of opportunity in field sales,, now not so much

I worked at Revlon full-time

ProsCompany with a well known name and reputation as leader in the industry

ConsLess opportunities for advancement now.

Long history of decline - hope it's improved since I've left, as they have great brands.

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Revlon full-time for more than a year

ProsBeauty category is a fun space, when you get to spend time on the brand, marketing and new product innovation. There are some great individual people there, if you look.

ConsWhile I was there, it seemed management would always operate with tied hands, answering to majority shareholder who lacks ability to manage the company. We spent too much time on non-value added tasks, nothing to do with marketing, brands, or consumer - e.g. reformatting spreadsheets based on who's in charge that day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in experienced brand marketers with success running and turning around businesses - and let them do what they do best. Hold on to the best talent by keeping them happy and creating a positive, open culture.

It is not who you know, but who you #$#@

Unit Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Revlon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey give some a chance to grow from within

ConsYou must be a player to stay, golf, parties, and other things. It is not enough to put in long hours, but you must play after work with the higher ups if you want to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing your directors to treat supervisors as thought they were complete idiots. I had one director admit he had threatened an employee. When it was brought tot he attention to upper management it was denied and dropped.

Worked for Revlon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Revlon reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Revlon CEO Lorenzo Delpani. All 40 reviews are posted anonymously by Revlon employees.