Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members"
    in 30 reviews
  • "work life balance becomes a little more geared towards work"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is almost zero work/ life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Innovative, Market Leadership, Work / Life Balance

I have been working at Reynolds American

ProsGreat people to work with, fully invested in the people, great pay and benefits

ConsTo date I cannot think of any cons. The company truly believes in the people

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great leadership

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company-Disgustingly Unethical Treatment of Employees

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMedian salary, benefits, bonus structure based on declining companies combined efforts.

ConsCompletely manipulative executive "leadership". Disgustingly unethical treatment of employees. Favoritism, cover-ups, abuse of affirmative action standards. Middle management mainly consists of people a couple years out of college who make the right "friend" and are then allowed to make their first professional mistakes off of the backs of good people, therefore very negatively affecting peoples lives. For example, creating high stress, often hostile work environments, and creating extremely high employee turn over either by termination or resignation. People don't last long here. In the last year alone, I know of at least a dozen people in one region who have left the company or been fired. There is almost zero work/ life balance. They use a "carrot" to string you along promising promotions, which is only a very manipulative trick. This is intended to fool all employees into working as if they are always on the verge of being promoted, when reality is they have a select few that will be promoted based on filling quotas that have nothing to do with their quality of work. If you expected integrity and honesty from a tobacco company, think again before applying here. Manipulation is the key word when it comes to SFNTC.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it wasn't too late, I'd say to try and regain some integrity in your management force.

SFNTC-Just Plain Bad

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay is in line with most companies, good benefits.

Cons1. Amateur leadership (SE has it the worst)
2. Manipulative motivational tactics (SE has it the worst...again)
3. Micromanaging (see #1)
4. Often filthy and dangerous work conditions due to areas they have you visit (store conditions)
5. Due to #1 & #2 the company culture is very bad. For example, you don't move up by hard work and doing the right thing, lots of "snakes in the grass" regarding your fellow co-workers.
6. Steadily declining morale
7. Salary and Home Office is used as a way to work you 80+ hours a week, excessive field sales and travel time, then all administrative work is to be done during your nights, weekends, and time off, etc.
8. No external support, the Territory Manager position is essentially 3-4 peoples jobs in a normal sales position (you manage a home warehouse for point of sale material, you are your own customer service rep, and often times your own manager, in addition to aggressive annual sales quotas).
9. Rotating management, get ready for a new boss every 1-2 years, and someone who is filling that roll for the first time in their careers each time nonetheless (see #1, #2, #6).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou obviously know what you're doing.

Worse as time passes.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay is decent for Winston Salem.

Cons1. Lack of clear vision,
2. Too willing to promote people who are young and inexperienced, and often unqualified for their positions.
3. Continuous degradation of benefits
4. No path for promotion, for most people in the company.
5. Performance review process is flawed.
6. "Succession" planning process is flawed.
7. No opportunity to "apply" for jobs internally.
8. Company places too much emphasis on bringing in talent and almost no importance on retaining talent with often decades of experience.

Advice to Senior Management1. Consider the opinion of employees, not just new employees.
2. Consider looking at ALL employees for promotion opportunities, not just the new hires/less tenured employees.
3. Stop being myopic in managing the company. Think at least a couple of years out.
4. Offer new opportunities to ALL employees.
5. Revise "succession" planning and employee reviews.
6. Equally value all employees - not just new hires.

Great job for people plus

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of pros when considering this company for your future employment, great job, fantastic.

ConsThere are none at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Senior Division Manager

Senior Division Magr (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay, benefits. People I worked with were great, fun people that worked hard and were fun to be around.

ConsAs described by others, the promotion game is very political. Many of the better performers have been by passed due to politics and favorites (brown-nosers) getting preferred spots. So glad I left, as I hear it is worse than ever. I worked nights, weekends and while on vacation to keep my boss happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize when you hit the streets you are looking at a day that has been totally set up for your appeasement. If you want a real look at your business do something on your own.

Good pay, solid benefits, work life balance is hit or miss!

Account Manager Trade Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe package is good (pay, car, phone etc) and work can be fun. Most co-workers are really good and promotion is possible (I was promoted after 16 months during a time when promotions were "rare").

ConsSome managers are micromanagers to the extreme. Your work week will never be 40 hours unless you stay a Territory Manager for life. Best candidates not always promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake away relocation as part of promotion and you will finally be able to promote the best talent instead of just the most flexible.

RAI Review

Vice President Business Information (Former Employee)
Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPaid Well, rewarded success and strong benefits

ConsLayoffs every few years
Cutting benefits of retirees

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in businesses other than tobacco for long term survival

Do your job, play the game and you're good.

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros-Decent benefits (health/dental, 401k matching, short term disability, etc),
-Vacation time, company car, gas, and tuition reimbursement
-Flexibility in schedule
-Decent work/life balance

Cons-No commission
-Need to be very mobile to advance
-Dirty work conditions (due to retail)
-Very redundant

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to optimize training and/or create an official training workshop/seminar/class for new TM's. Trust that we are doing the right thing for the business without all the micromanagement.

Be prepared for a 60 hour week

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members

ConsLots of "equal opportunity" management, promotions take forever at least 18 months, micromanaged, Managers act as private investigators to and will ride your territory w/out you knowing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right person for the mgmt positions, and treat your territory managers right they are what drives the company

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reynolds American reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Reynolds American CEO Daniel M. Delen. All 222 reviews are posted anonymously by Reynolds American employees.