Rite Aid Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

2.8

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, if you work at a union store, flexible hours (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is determined to turn a profit at whatever costs (in 68 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Rite aid was a great place to work because of all the friendly employees and customers.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discounts and the hours are good plus the thrifty ice cream.

Cons

I think the challenge was working until 10pm or later.

No advice.

Love my job!

Current Employee - General  in  Walla Walla, WA (US)
    Current Employee - General in Walla Walla, WA (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, pharmacy, hours are great! My managers are so helpful with my training. CBT's teach you a lot if you pay attention,during my interview I was guaranteed everything that I am getting. My bosses keep their word. They smile they laugh and they care.

Cons

None yet.
    I've only worked here a week.

None yet!

Rite Aid is a typical pharmacy chain.

Current Employee - Pharmacist Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Recognition is pushed by corporate through little cards that you fill out and post on a board in the break room. I know that other companies do this type of thing as well. It is very bolstering to the staff.

Cons

The company is cutting hours to stay competitive. This can create difficulties for all members of management. The process to do so should be complemented by increases in company efficiencies for it to work correctly and unfortunately those were lagging behind.

Please create more efficient models with adequate training prior to implementation of new policies, I believe the staff would be more open to changes within the work flow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had a crazy experience at Rite Aid

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think Rite Aid is a great place to start your career to develop skills and talents for your dream job or goals.

Cons

Rite Aid loves to put more on you than you can bare so always maintain your energy level.

I understand we are in the business of gaining profits but cutting payroll and expect the same level out output puts strain on your employees and causes them to hate what they do.

Good for part time work while going to school

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Rite Aid part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers (at least in my store)
    flexible with school or air national guard schedule
    Easy repetitive work

Cons

very few hours
    management is okay at best
    not much room for advancement
    chairs are not given much authority or tools to help customers (ex: manager approval needed to override everything)

Give long time/experienced associates the ability to override lower cost transactions rather than having the supervisors come to the front to resolve every small issue. Start bringing in services like red box and selling local newspapers. Wall greens already offered these services day one and it lost us business to the competition.

While I learned a great deal at Rite Aid, working pharmacy and front end, I would not go back.

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at Rite Aid part-time for less than a year

Pros

With good management, the departments run smoothly. Schedules were flexible for students, and the work was simple and straightforward. Training was provided for all departments, and they were willing to hire untrained employees.

Cons

Pay is low, and when management is poor, structure falls apart very quickly. Not enough resources provided to the employees to do their jobs properly. For example, there would frequently not be enough people on shift to handle a particularly busy sale, or proper training not given on how to answer specific recurring questions to a new company policy change or promotion.

Listen to your employees, and pay attention when enough of them are reporting verbally abusive management. Understand that your employees regularly deal with agitated customers, and having to ask management questions on how to proceed during a busy day is less efficient than giving them the training when a new system or policy is launched.

It also wouldn't hurt to pay your employees a living wage. I was on food stamps while working in the pharmacy, because my hours were repeatedly cut with no warning or explanation other than "that's retail" being given.

It's all about who you know and who likes you

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with make all the difference. I can honestly say the issues that we had or I should say I have had My district management team had my back. They are trying to get with the times which is good with technology I moved up pretty quickly. However its sometimes who you know and who likes you.

Cons

Money is low compared to competitors. But if you need a job its decent pay. Salaried means long hours especially when you have limited payroll. Sometimes your upper management aren't as sympathetic as they should be. Some of them were once in our shoes and I feel like they tend to forget that with the decisions they make.

Treat your store managers good and I promise it will trickle down. Find new and inventive ways to get your customers in the store because at our competitors walgreens to be specific, they have tons of payroll in the store at all times.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people and managers to work with

Cons

Doesn't invest money in building upgrades

Take more pride in your stores appearances

A decent enough place to work...

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Turlock, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Turlock, CA (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you have a good manager, this can be a good place to work. Flexible schedule, benefits and paid vacation for full time employees.
    There are plenty of opportunities for advancement if you are ambitious.

Cons

Part time workers may struggle to get hours. Work can be boring and repetitive.
    Policies are always changing or being updated to seemingly make workers less efficient. District managers are haughty and unapproachable.

Overall a good company to work for...it has it's ups and downs just like any other company.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Flexible schedule.
    -Constant hours.
    -Stable company.
    -Get to work with a variety of different people.
    -Get to interact with all different types of people.
    -Job security.
    -Decent amount of vacation and personal time.

Cons

-Pay is below par compared to other companies.
    -Benefits are lacking for the cost...for a company that considers themselves a "healthcare provider" you except good benefits.
    -Annual raises are very low.
    -Payroll hours given to a store can very low...requiring the manager to be literally the only person working in the store for up to 5 hours per day.
    -Workload can be very heavy at times, but that is the nature of retail management.

-Take better care of your good employees.
    -Reconsider payroll situations that create a potentially dangerous situation...ie the manager working by themselves for hours at a time, especially early in the morning and late at night.
    -Understand that with such a low pay rate you don't attract and retain the best employees.
    -Offer much better health benefits at a rate that people can actually afford.

Worked for Rite Aid? Contribute to the Community!