Robert Walters

Robert Walters Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Robert Walters Chief Executive Robert C. Walters

Robert C. Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process(in 5 reviews)

• Good training ground for those who are new to recruitment(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc(in 5 reviews)

• Turnover rates used to be high, but has reduced to regular attrition rates as with any sales job(in 4 reviews)

One of the best place to work

Java Developer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt is a good environment to work on. It has relaxed environment and also has good projects to work on, not not much pressure on work

ConsTimings are of Consultants. It starts from 8:30 in the morning till 6:00 PM in the evening. I feel this is much higher when compared to other software development offices. Also it makes you tired.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanges needs to be done on the Software development department regarding timings as per industry standards

Great first job; not that career position

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsAs a first job out of university working in a recruitment firm really does give you a great understanding of commercial sales skills, and how to be successful at sales. Robert Walters mantra is different from many of its competitors, it places an emphasis on the job-seeker and clients needs before that of the consultants i.e. commission. What this this allows is for you to purely focus on doing your job, without any adverse interests. Its a good lesson, as if you work hard, the rest will look after itself.

ConsLong hours- working in sales means in many respects you have to be 'in it; to win it'. If you put the hours in you will generally find success and reward; if you do the bare minimum, often you won't. Sales is very black and white in that respect and you can't take short-cuts. The position itself does become a little monotonous, especially in the current market / wider economic environment we operate in. Cost- low rates, low fees, highly competitive recruitment market with rate hikes, and often the appetite to recruit and higher not in the mind set. I found myself speaking to a lot of job-seekers out of work, needing a job, and not being able to find one- it all become a little depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize the junior staff members. A company is only as good as its employees. If the company is to truly kick-on and really enhance its global standing as the market leader as a professional recruitment consultancy then senior management shouldn't discourage entrepreneurialism; its should embrace it and support it. I found most of the senior management were very short and narrow minded, and wouldn't know what the notion of 'business continuity planning' was if it smacked them in the face. Most of the management entered the recruitment market pre-2007 when it was well, too easy to make money- then the global financial crisis happened. What this means is, management in play don't understand or know how to adapt to modern market conditions. I witnessed a lot of talented; intelligent graduate calibre professionals leave the company very frustrated- this was often due to sloppy management and a lack of support / guidance.

Terrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan't think of any right now, they provided breakfast, pretty office?

ConsIf you aren't money driven and willing to step over everyone else then this place wouldn't be for you. Terrible experience, micro managed and KPI's unrealistic - if it looked like you would hit them, they were increased

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't believe the hype!

IT Operations Analyst (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe work can be interesting occasionally, the location is good and the people are ok.

ConsThey claim to have a "work hard, play hard" attitude but it is readily apparent that this is just what they say to get you in and you will end up doing very long hours (most of which is incredibly dull work or just thumb twiddling).

The employees are civil but unsociable for the most part, teams of 7-10 people will go out for lunch in 1s and 2s. The occasional pint after work or at lunch time but these are few and far between.

The work is repetative, low tech (mainly MS back office stuff but some linux servers) for the most part and extremely process driven.

Documentation is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to employees to get them to sign up for something that doesn't exist. There is no life at Robert Walters, just endless hours and desperately trying to fill the time up with something useful.

Good if you're a recruiter, bad if you're in tech or any support role!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople who work there are mostly friendly and a good bunch.

ConsLong long hours, very little reward for support staff

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people a bit better!

Good experience

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsA lot of pros including international reputation, strong talent and great organisation

ConsSometimes just a number in the business

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good company

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood career opportunities and advancement

ConsNone at the moment that I can think of

Great training ground and support

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThe company provides intensive training in all aspects of recruitment - from candidate and client management right down to writing job ads and database management. I have learnt so much here and the support systems have been equally impressive - from IT to Marketing to team support. Best part of this company would be its strong brand - it has helped open a lot of doors and opprtunities for me.

ConsThere is a constant expectation to perform and achieve targets - which I guess is part of sales. The company can also do better in terms of staff benefits, which may not be as competitive as some of the MNCs I have worked in before.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on staff retention and consider improving staff benefits - beyond just sales incentives and the typical remuneration. The company is already a leader in the recruitment space and would definitely benefit by being innovative in designing unique reward systems and lead the industry with a highly competitive package - setting high standards for others to follow like what Google and LinkedIn have done.

Great opportunities to be recognized for your strengths and interest

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsSenior management is willing to let me delve further in my areas of interest because I repeatedly come up with ideas for something that naturally excites me. Colleagues may come across cool and reserved at first but they do open up after awhile and are genuinely kind people. The downtown Shanghai office is a huge perk - it's sleek with a view of the city from the 36th floor.

ConsIt takes awhile for the company to get comfortable with new staff's abilities and potential because we come from various work backgrounds, so turnover of new people may be quite high. But as soon as they are comfortable that you have the DNA they look for, it opens up plenty of opportunities, and these people end up staying a good while.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt wouldn't hurt to revisit existing incentive structures so that it better reflects the company's great values.

Working as Recruitment Consultant

ProsProfessional, Cool. learn a lot

Consstress, pressure, you know when you set target high, its tiered

Worked for Robert Walters? Contribute to the Community!