www.robertwalters.com

Updated 14 February 2015
3.7

Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process (in 5 reviews)

• Team based structure, so very little of the backstabbing that happens at a lot of firms (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc (in 5 reviews)

• As with most sales roles, one has to sacrifice work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic new starter process and professionalism from start to finish during the interviews.

I have been working at Robert Walters

Pros

Great team environment that is refreshing in the recruitment industry. Genuine specialist professionals who care about their job and the candidates they are working with. Fantastic office culture with enough of a work life balance.

Cons

Like any sales/ recruitment role you have good and bad days. The best thing is to communicate with your manager and take advice where needed during the troughs.

Very impressed by the recruitment process and induction. Having run my own business for 5 years I was pleased to see a business that cared so much about it's new starters.

IT Service Desk

Former Employee - Service Desk in London, England
    Former Employee - Service Desk in London, England

I worked at Robert Walters

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, freedom to do your duties as you see fit. Management seems very easy to deal with, and everybody on the team is eager to help. Also free beverages every other week (usually on a Friday and when the have their monthly "wrap up"). They also engage in departmental "bonding" activities.

Cons

Hours are very long; 9 - 6:30 is a standard shift and they expect you to wear full corporate attire. Management are obsessed with looking at stats from the team, and are not very engaging with the team "in real time". I didn't feel like my talents were rewarded effectively and I kept being pulled up "for a quiet word" because I didn't fit in with the management style even though nobody was complaining about my behaviour.

Need to stop micromanaging, and coming up with irrelevant things that do not need to be done!

Robert Walters Response

Feb 12, 2015Talent Director

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your opinion and the time you've taken to add a considered review.

It’s great to hear your positive comments regarding the office atmosphere, your team
    ... More

Comfortable working hours with a friendly team

I worked at Robert Walters

Pros

Flexible working hours, friendly team

Cons

Hours of work vary from week to week

Graduate position, great London location, poor training program

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

London location is second to none, tough interview process which means they take care in picking the right people.

Cons

Poor training program in place. No work life balance, 12 hour working days with minimum break.

Invest some time into giving sales staff the tools they need in order to succeed.

limitless opportunities if your prepared to put the work in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Robert Walters are a growing business and as such have a lot of opportunities for those willing to put in the hours. I like the fact the business is global, and that there are opportunities to travel and work with different cultures (like Japan for example). Overall I have found the business to be supportive and my career has certainly benefited from my time here.

Cons

Its recruitment - that means the hours are long (but not as long as some of the recruitment companies I have worked for) and there can be a lot of pressure. That means its not for everyone, but for those that enjoy the challenge its a head and shoulders above the competition.

keep on going as you are!

Clique or die.....

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job security once you've past probation which is usually 3 months. Nice office in a very central location.

Cons

Everything is done on a clique basis, if you're not in with the lads then you won't ever get a promotion, pay rise or even an invite to the pub. Management treat it like a game & don't seem to care about the effect they're having on those people who have put in far more hours & been far more productive.

Don't allow long term members of middle management to promote their buddies into their teams, leaving hard working staff wondering what the point of all their hard work was.

This is an outstanding firm to work for, where I really feel supported and pushed to reach my careers goals.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great salary; above market rate. Supportive line managers. Pro-active approach to client development. Culture is very much one where you enjoy being at work - overall fantastic people who really love what they do.

Cons

Training is a bit sink or swim, but mentoring is in place to help you feel supported

More woman in senior positions.

Collaborative, Entrepreneurial Working Environment With Long Term Career Development Opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The business is focused on developing and promoting long term careers but organically growing their management team from within. The team based approach create a collegiate working environment that is rare in wider the recruitment industry.
    Robert Walters hires top quality staff and working with industry leaders makes you continually challenge yourself and develop your skills.
    The meritocratic approach to developing people means that ambition is fostered and not blocked.

Cons

The working hours are long and clearly defined. There could be a shorter working hour definition to allow for people who need to travel to and from work.

Continue to look to identify and develop top performers not just from a billings perspective, but people who can be long term business leaders for the group. Make sure that senior management are visible and approachable to all levels of staff to ensure that staff feel that they understand and empathize with their challenges.

Great company with the best people and reputation

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The most important thing about this company is the people who work here. My colleagues are one of the reasons I have stayed here for such a long time (eight years). I work with ex-industry professionals, recruitment experts and people who genuinely enjoy what they do. Given the legacy Robert Walters has built, you have access to the widest range of clients, the best candidates and a great infrastructure which has been built to maximise your potential.

Cons

The hours can be long but that is an industry-wide issue.

Good place to be

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good enviornment. Team atmosphere. Higher salaries than other agencies.

Cons

Lack of flexibility and long hours. You need to work incredibly hard to get anywhere.

Robert Walters Photos