www.robertwalters.com

Updated 19 November 2014
3.7

Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process (in 5 reviews)

• Team based structure, so very little of the backstabbing that happens at a lot of firms (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc (in 6 reviews)

• As with most sales roles, one has to sacrifice work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

limitless opportunities if your prepared to put the work in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Robert Walters are a growing business and as such have a lot of opportunities for those willing to put in the hours. I like the fact the business is global, and that there are opportunities to travel and work with different cultures (like Japan for example). Overall I have found the business to be supportive and my career has certainly benefited from my time here.

Cons

Its recruitment - that means the hours are long (but not as long as some of the recruitment companies I have worked for) and there can be a lot of pressure. That means its not for everyone, but for those that enjoy the challenge its a head and shoulders above the competition.

keep on going as you are!

This is an outstanding firm to work for, where I really feel supported and pushed to reach my careers goals.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great salary; above market rate. Supportive line managers. Pro-active approach to client development. Culture is very much one where you enjoy being at work - overall fantastic people who really love what they do.

Cons

Training is a bit sink or swim, but mentoring is in place to help you feel supported

More woman in senior positions.

Collaborative, Entrepreneurial Working Environment With Long Term Career Development Opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The business is focused on developing and promoting long term careers but organically growing their management team from within. The team based approach create a collegiate working environment that is rare in wider the recruitment industry.
    Robert Walters hires top quality staff and working with industry leaders makes you continually challenge yourself and develop your skills.
    The meritocratic approach to developing people means that ambition is fostered and not blocked.

Cons

The working hours are long and clearly defined. There could be a shorter working hour definition to allow for people who need to travel to and from work.

Continue to look to identify and develop top performers not just from a billings perspective, but people who can be long term business leaders for the group. Make sure that senior management are visible and approachable to all levels of staff to ensure that staff feel that they understand and empathize with their challenges.

Great company with the best people and reputation

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The most important thing about this company is the people who work here. My colleagues are one of the reasons I have stayed here for such a long time (eight years). I work with ex-industry professionals, recruitment experts and people who genuinely enjoy what they do. Given the legacy Robert Walters has built, you have access to the widest range of clients, the best candidates and a great infrastructure which has been built to maximise your potential.

Cons

The hours can be long but that is an industry-wide issue.

Good place to be

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good enviornment. Team atmosphere. Higher salaries than other agencies.

Cons

Lack of flexibility and long hours. You need to work incredibly hard to get anywhere.

Clique or die.....

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security once you've past probation which is usually 3 months. Nice office in a very central location.

Cons

Everything is done on a clique basis, if you're not in with the lads then you won't ever get a promotion, pay rise or even an invite to the pub. Management treat it like a game & don't seem to care about the effect they're having on those people who have put in far more hours & been far more productive.

Don't allow long term members of middle management to promote their buddies into their teams, leaving hard working staff wondering what the point of all their hard work was.

Good place to work - long hours but the rewards are in line with this.

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for promotion if you put the work in.

Cons

Long hours and competitive environment - you really need to be driven to go anywhere here but if you are you will see the returns both through renumeration and promotion opportunities.

Overall, good company but very little training / individual development which can leave frustration.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

International opportunities - both within Robert Walters and Resource Solutions.
    Great Brand
    Good team ethos (generally).

Cons

Very little training - only promoted through the amount of revenue you bring in. No consideration of other areas which may contribute to being promoted, therefore many leave through frustration and little support.
    No flexi working, working from home. No work life balance at all.
    Micromanagement.
    Repetitive work.

Find ways to promote staff fairly and quickly to avoid people leaving through frustration.
    Allow flexible working, treat staff more like adults.

Great first job; not that career position

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a first job out of university working in a recruitment firm really does give you a great understanding of commercial sales skills, and how to be successful at sales. Robert Walters mantra is different from many of its competitors, it places an emphasis on the job-seeker and clients needs before that of the consultants i.e. commission. What this this allows is for you to purely focus on doing your job, without any adverse interests. Its a good lesson, as if you work hard, the rest will look after itself.

Cons

Long hours- working in sales means in many respects you have to be 'in it; to win it'. If you put the hours in you will generally find success and reward; if you do the bare minimum, often you won't. Sales is very black and white in that respect and you can't take short-cuts. The position itself does become a little monotonous, especially in the current market / wider economic environment we operate in. Cost- low rates, low fees, highly competitive recruitment market with rate hikes, and often the appetite to recruit and higher not in the mind set. I found myself speaking to a lot of job-seekers out of work, needing a job, and not being able to find one- it all become a little depressing.

Incentivize the junior staff members. A company is only as good as its employees. If the company is to truly kick-on and really enhance its global standing as the market leader as a professional recruitment consultancy then senior management shouldn't discourage entrepreneurialism; its should embrace it and support it. I found most of the senior management were very short and narrow minded, and wouldn't know what the notion of 'business continuity planning' was if it smacked them in the face. Most of the management entered the recruitment market pre-2007 when it was well, too easy to make money- then the global financial crisis happened. What this means is, management in play don't understand or know how to adapt to modern market conditions. I witnessed a lot of talented; intelligent graduate calibre professionals leave the company very frustrated- this was often due to sloppy management and a lack of support / guidance.

One of the best place to work

Current Employee - Java Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Java Developer in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a good environment to work on. It has relaxed environment and also has good projects to work on, not not much pressure on work

Cons

Timings are of Consultants. It starts from 8:30 in the morning till 6:00 PM in the evening. I feel this is much higher when compared to other software development offices. Also it makes you tired.

Changes needs to be done on the Software development department regarding timings as per industry standards

Robert Walters Photos