Roche

Roche Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Roche CEO Roche Group Severin Schwan

Severin Schwan

Pros
  • Roche has excellent benefits, makes a profit consistently and has a great work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Salary was somewhat above average for industry (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Tracking of time spent on projects and work-life balance a low consideration (in 15 reviews)

• Senior management is terrible- employee reviews are terrible and highlight significant issues (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Research Scientist (Former Employee) Branford, CT (US)

ProsGood salary, 15 days of holiday, great career possibilities

ConsRoch has the atmosphere of a big cooperation, slow decision, a lot hirachy ...

Great company to work for

Proslarge corporate envirment with a lot of opportunities

Consthere can be a learning curve for someone who is new to the organization

Advice to Senior Managementno

Good Company

ProsExcellent pay and benefits, work life balance

ConsPoor Senior Management, no leadership and micro-managers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT in the US be wary, good company overall.

Technology Solution Manager (Former Employee) Nutley, NJ (US)

ProsGood benefits for all Roche employees.
    Highly competitive salaries with bonus and depending on your level, stock options.
    They do a great job of providing top notch healthcare, dental, 401k matching and so forth.
    They value personal time and all the managers I had were great to work for except one (he is no longer with the company).
    I would still be with the company if they didn't shut down the location I was at.
    Each time I was impacted by a restructured job, I was able to get a 10% retention bonus for my stress (you would get it if you stayed to your end date as well).
    Very good severance package when large groups are impacted.

ConsI worked for Roche for 14 years and other than the last 5-6 years it was a great company. My advice is if you are working for Roche in the IT area, you are at risk of yearly stress of losing your job due to restructuring and sending jobs around the company/world. In the past 6 years, my job was impacted 4-5 times. I had to either apply for a new job or take a package and leave. All of these were due to OPEX realignment of personnel. Senior management would move head count from one location to another without always understanding what they were doing. The latest push in the US is to send IT to Genentech in CA, Madrid, Spain or back to Basel, Switzerland. The Nutley location was closed down after 100 years of service and the US headquarters shifted to Genentech.

The merger of Roche and Genentech has not been the smoothest. Each company is still a separate entity and supported by different IT departments.

Genentech has not experienced the headcount loss experience as of my last day. They are in for a shock once it does. You have to keep in mind that Roche is the typical Swiss based company, and Gene is the typical San Francisco company. They are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. Roche is extremely process driven, cost conscious (with regards to IT) and doesn't like to deviate. Gene is agile and flexible with the mentality of "get the work done as quick as possible." They don't let cost act as barrier necessarily. Gene is able to bypass process and make their internal customers happy with rapid turn around times. This is the direction Roche is trying to go but with processes still in the picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the constant reorganizations. Once we finally get everything working again, there is another change and efficiency is lost again.

Great place to work!

ProsLots of room for growth

ConsNothing they treat you great!

Unique company culture and meaningful business model

Corporate Communication (Current Employee) Basel (Switzerland)

ProsSmart and collaborative colleagues across different functions, pretty much everyone I've met wants to do "the right thing", when it comes to serving patients, good work-life balance and fair compensation. The company is very international, but still has a bit of a "family feel" to it. Managers are actually concerned with respecting people's time off. The company has a great legacy and remains at the forefront of medical research, great basic commitment to innovation and people.

ConsCareer planning is up to how well you are at managing yourself in a decentralised matrix organisation. Can be a great opportunity, but don't wait for someone to offer you something just because you've been around for some time. Implementation is bottom-up, allowing a lot of room for new ideas, but making strategic decision-making long and cumbersome.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more visible in the organisation. Roche is very decentralised, which is good. But low visibility can look like lack of strategy.

Worked for Roche for considerable period of time. Enjoyed the challenges and work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat colleagues always willing to help and cooperate. Hard working and motivated people. Good and friendly working environment. Well remunerated. Good advantage & benefit program.

ConsFrequent changes in management. Must have high adaptability. Though have clear company values, it can be challenging, not to say difficult, to seriously demonstrate them when you continuously have to start anew with new managers. Little opportunity for growth. Too much bureaucracy.

Good

Principal Associate (Former Employee) Nutley, NJ (US)

ProsIt was good when lasted

ConsNutley site was closed in 2013.

Statistical Programming Analyst Intern

Statistical Programmer Intern (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work environment. Colleagues are really nice and friendly. People can learn a lot of things regarding to Clinical trial. There are plenty of training for new employee, which are really helpful.

ConsNeed handle multiple projects in the same time, so it will be a little stressful sometimes. The responsibility is overlap between some department, so it may lead some confusing.

Roche Molecular Systems

Project Management (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsThis is specific to RMS - the Roche Pleasanton location.

None

ConsSr. Management is very sleazy and nonstop pathological lying is the culture. They will push subpar/incomplete products out the door only to collect bonus $$ - then spend $$ millions having to redo or correct critical design errors ultimately taking years to correct.

Work/Life balance is nonexistent and travel requirements are significantly higher than competitive /peer companies.

Leadership style is "fear" based -- "Lie to customers or be fired" is the SOP

RMD should be considered an embarrassment to Roche Holdings in terms of integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the pathological lying
    Stop pushing products out the door that will fail for the first 3 years or more until fixed or finished

Worked for Roche? Contribute to the Community!