Roche Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
611 reviews filtered by

1. Fair employer

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Constructive working atmosphere, contributions are valued

Cons

complex hierarchical structures, tendency for silo thinking

2. Global Regulatory Affairs

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Great company to work for - great science, very nice and experimented colleagues
    Good community spirit

Cons

9-hour time difference with US west coast is a challenge for global teams

3. Good place to work

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Good corporate culture, work life balnce, employee development, friendly environment. Support for the employees to grow and have rotations in different roles

Cons

Too many hierarchy. Complex processes. Less agile compared to a biotech company. Too conservative. Some department have very stressed jobs

Advice to Management

Innovative technologies are key of success

5. Great Company to Work for!

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. Work life balance

Cons

Career advancement opportunities, hard to advance

6. Head of Project Management

I have been working at Roche full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Global Company, Good image, Market Leader in Healthcare

Cons

Senior leaders focus on the Core sites and low Experience in the growing markets

7. Roche

Current Employee - Virus Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Virus Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Roche

Pros

good healthcare plan, competitive salary

Cons

Performance management is biased, skewed. The organization encourage its staff to take on project for improvement. There can be 40 over project at a time but the successful one will only be around 10 percent

Advice to Management

Roche take care of its very well. Lots of senior employee got entitlement attitude and lack of accountability

Great experience and benefits.

I have been working at Roche

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Company provides resources to help us succeed.

Cons

Slow moving organization. "Favorites" have best opportunities for advancement.

9. Good experience as a contract employee

Former Employee - Marketing Strategy in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Strategy in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Roche

Pros

Contractors treated very well and made to feel like part of the team with in the Diabetes Care team. A big plus you are employedd by an in-house temp agency Pro-Unlimed so payroll taxes paid so avoiding the 1099 hassels. Also able to receive health benefits.

Cons

Really enjoyed the work but the project ended very abruptly when department was eliminated and project moved.

10. I enjoyed working for Roche.

I worked at Roche

Pros

The organization paid well and the environment was very professional and collaborative. The culture was good and programs were being implemented to further enhance the culture.

Cons

Sometimes the people were overly nice and difficult to read. Transparency with employees could have been better. Managers need to be straight with employees. I felt employees did not have a good, truthful understanding of why their careers may not have been progressing the way they wanted it to. Too much "Group Think" often stifled innovation.

Advice to Management

Clearer Career Paths and Competencies are a MUST for an organization this size. Employees need better direction from management on career planning and what competencies they need to demonstrate to be considered for different roles, promotions or even a lateral move.

11. Senior Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager in North Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in North Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Roche full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and overall compensation are very competitive, especially at the manager level. There are a lot of dedicated and talented people at Roche, many who are loyal, hard-working and will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

The investment in people is beginning in earnest in terms of their development, growth and getting to an authentic workplace where issues get vetted (but the lifers sometimes get in the way).

Cons

There are a lot of "lifers" at Roche, people who have spent 20+ years with the organization - and it shows. Fresh ideas and approaches are slow to take hold and management has very long memories, making overcoming mistakes that are bound to happen as your career progresses very difficult. I've seen folks stalled even when they had strong advocates because of some impression that was made 7 or 8 years in the past.

Also, with the lifers, sometimes career advancement gets stiffled at a certain level. I saw "manager ready" folks compete over and over against other lifers for single management positions, some taking 5+ years to get into a spot, even though they were quite talented.

Roche is a huge organization - with a lot of links to other US and Global organizations. Reporting relationships and matrixing is on overload at times and who has the ability to make a decision can be very confusing. The amount of people that have to "get aligned" to get something done is astonishing - which is why in virtually every area EXCEPT R&D, the company is way behind global competitors in process and technology (Finance, IT, HR, Customer Support, etc). You will work hard - especially if you are salaried, as there is always more to do and arbitrary timelines to hit than there are resources to get it done.

Advice to Management

Let go of the past and be willing to take more risks. Don't be so afaid of failure that you don't even try - especially with people. Growth and development is really cut short when good people are let go for risk taking or making mistakes that are non-critical to the business. Recognize that most people are giving you everything they have - and when they hit a roadblock, try giving them something back in the way of compassion and grace - instead of showing them the door. Stay engaged so irritants don't become problems, because when you do come down to earth and notice it - you feel your only options are drastic when earlier engagement could have prevented many problems. Don't be afraid of authenticity when you see it.