Rockwell Collins
www.rockwellcollins.com Cedar Rapids, IA 5000+ Employees

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros:
  • "A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance"
    in 42 reviews
  • "the cost of living in cedar rapids in iowa is very less so its a advantage"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cedar Rapids centric, even when the technology is being developed at a satellite location"
    in 62 reviews
  • "No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

very strong and reliable company. Specially on the aviation market.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

Prosworldwide known for his reliable products on avionics.

Conscomplicated social administration and quite slow on feedback.

Advice to Senior Managementshare more details company's objectives internally.

professionally satisfactory but the company does not trust and delegate

Director (Former Employee)
Hyde, England

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood and challenging work, good technical processess

Consworking environment not good. comapany has to learn to globalise and respect other cultures

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to globalise

Dispte the outward view of a listening management, they do not listen. They know best!

Senior Electronics Technician (Current Employee)
Reading, England

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNot many. Its a job.

ConsToo any "YES" people. No vision of the global situation, almost arrogant. They have had a big part of the aviation pie, and do not think they need to change to meet the current world situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen!!!! You are sticking to the Corporate line to rigidly.

Outstanding company that cares about there employees.

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDiversified company
Strong upper level leadership
Opportunities for growth
Values individual performance

ConsIndustry and customers requests drive challenges not faced in other markets. Avionics does not have the benefit of using unproven tools or technologies which one becomes accustomed to in school leading to bigger challenges then most new grads are willing to to tackle.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put an emphasis on the employees. Need to ensure this mentality is driven throughout all levels of leadership, especially the lowest level.

Good place to work.

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI am a recent college grad in MSEE and foreign national . I just started working from jan 2104. People here are so good and encouraging(My lead and Manager). I want get involved in this complete program on which i am working now and learn a lot.

ConsI did not encounter too many. Senior engineers has to respect contractors even though they are just graduates.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Good place to start and develop; benefits reasonable

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you get a chance to work in a small team, then you will have the best experience. The experienced engineers are very nice and like to share their knowledge.
Work-life balance is good I would say; once you learn about your job the workload is reasonable unless you are close to some deadlines then you might have to work extra hours.
Leaves and vacation benefits are great compared to other companies I have heard about; but those are now changing.
Education assistance is great !! you get to spend 10 to 15K on your higher education which is awesome if you want to do Masters or MBA.
Being close to Iowa City it is a great place to work and do MBA from one of the best business colleges at University of Iowa.

ConsConservative in their processes and not very open to change or new way of doing things. Tried an tested is always preferred
Promotions in certain dept. especially in your first 5-7 years can be hard to get
Within a certain job, once you become good at something you will always get the same type of work or on the same product; for this you might have to move somewhere else within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake moving within the company more easy and anonymous
Improve the work environment please... we spend almost half of our day here so having a good environment or office areas is important if you want your employees to spend more time at work and enjoy their jobs.

Great company to work for

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Prossolid leadership, strategic focus, laid back culture

Consexcessive governance and frequent job rotation

Good Company

Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for less than a year

ProsTreats you well. People care about doing the right thing.

ConsI just started somewhat recently, can't think of any.

Ok company if you want a job.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStable job. I feel that companies sales department does a good job. It is easy to transfer departments. Some of the products technology is really cutting edge. Average pay is good and for the Cedar Rapids area you will feel very comfortable.

ConsAs the products technology is cutting edge, the tools are most defiantly not. Be prepared to use office tools in all the wrong ways. I have worked at many different companies much smaller and much bigger than Rockwell Collins and I have never seen such a culture that favors home brewed tools. Many of the "more experienced" engineers have never worked outside the company have little interest in learning about new and better techniques in the industry. I have seen million dollar investments dumped into home made tools that could have been better spent on real off the shelf solutions that would have been more flexible for only pennies on the dollar. For example many companies write and review software why must Rockwell Collins use a custom review tool?

As for the cutting edge technology. Good luck ever getting on any of those projects. I have been trying for over five years.

The pay is comfortable, but it might not be for long. For the year end reviews Management is forced to create a bell curve for their employees and compare them to other management teams in the department. So if a manager has 5 employees two will be graded higher than normal, two will be below normal, and one will be average. You are given a magical number which is then tossed into a pool with other managers magical numbers. After much politics and fighting a weighting number is developed to apply to your magic number and now you have your pay raise. The average pay raise being about 3% which places many engineers just at the rate of inflation. So technically many engineers will be making less money the next year.

If you want good projects you really need to be buddies with your manager, and play the politics game. In "most" departments virtue and skills are not nearly as important as political positioning and presentation. Managers really vary in personality and age. If you want to advance your career be prepared to to match and understand your managers style You may need to learn how to drink more and party, or attend the correct church.

Advice to Senior ManagementI see internal initiatives to get around political aspects of the company, and from a engineering perspective this does help with moral. But, even the latest "think of a good idea and we'll fund it" concept is flawed with resource issues that management will not help with. I think this leads to the bad habit of custom tools that makes an Engineers life so hard. My suggestion to management is to trust the engineers instincts more. Especially trust the more experienced engineers that have seen better and cheaper ways from other parts of the industry.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

ProsThe company has some good technically consistent processes which helps align projects and programs. The company places a lot of emphasis on doing the best to ensure commitments are met.

ConsIf you want to actually build something go somewhere else. Rockwell Collins engineers can talk a good talk but actually building things that ship to real customers is something that is severely lacking. This is the anti-Agile establishment. For every engineer actually doing something there is another one watching over his should doing Cost Account Management (CAM)!!

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All 566 reviews are posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.