Rockwell Collins

Updated 29 October 2014
Updated 29 October 2014
3.2

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • work life balance, upper management focused on improving things for employees (in 53 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 73 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment coupled nicely with professional conduct.

Former Employee - Junior Design Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Junior Design Engineer in London, England

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best parts about working there was the ethics policies that everyone happily integrated into working life making it a very comfortable place to work and learn. All teams were made of long standing employees of the company which gave the place a good friendly feel with a really good work output.

Cons

The salaries started really quite low and took a little bit too long to climb up to an appropriate level without having to go down the leading/management routes to achieve appropriate salaries.

Very little useful advice could be given... Perhaps a more accurate way of assessing keen talent/ skills and upping their salaries accordingly would be the icing on the cake in such a good workplace.

very strong and reliable company. Specially on the aviation market.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

worldwide known for his reliable products on avionics.

Cons

complicated social administration and quite slow on feedback.

share more details company's objectives internally.

professionally satisfactory but the company does not trust and delegate

Former Employee - Director in Hyde, England
    Former Employee - Director in Hyde, England

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good and challenging work, good technical processess

Cons

working environment not good. comapany has to learn to globalise and respect other cultures

learn to globalise

Dispte the outward view of a listening management, they do not listen. They know best!

Current Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Reading, England

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not many. Its a job.

Cons

Too any "YES" people. No vision of the global situation, almost arrogant. They have had a big part of the aviation pie, and do not think they need to change to meet the current world situation.

Listen!!!! You are sticking to the Corporate line to rigidly.

Summer Intern |S|AP BW 2014

Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, very encouraging environment. Team-members love to help you out. My direct Manager and the above him were both really helpful and patient. They make sure to provide you with enough training and support so that you can perform successfully.

Cons

Slow growth as compared to other companies
    The work pace is very slow

Excellent office culture. They shouldn't change it. More SAP led training should be provided

Low stress, interesting work

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to work in terms of work-life balance, no expectations of staying in the office past regular hours. Coworkers were friendly and helpful and took time out of their day to mentor me (an intern)

Cons

Working as a software engineer I felt like there was not a lot of focus on using better tools -- for example, most teams are still using CVS for source control

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn and grow for engineers

Cons

Location - Cedar Rapids may not attract people to stay long term

Systems Engineer Intern G.S

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason is the flexibility of the positions. It is very easy to work around the company because the company is about providing avionics and software packages to the industry. So it's very easy to switch projects if you don't like it. Also, company is medium size which meant that it was easier to meet higher up management. As an intern, we met with the CEO on one of our intern meetings

Cons

Cedar Rapids Iowa is a very nice city, but growing up from New York City, it was very boring.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The management and projects were great, it was an excellent experience for a college student to learn about their industry. I always felt like I had someone to ask questions of and figure out the next step in a project.

Cons

Occasionally, I would finish a project and it seemed as if they didn't really have anything ready for me to pick up- I would have a day interim with no work to do.

A fast pace environment that demands high level of organization to stay on top of various projects and supplier issues.

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Decorah, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Decorah, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the Decorah facility the Industrial Engineers play a very important role. You will be given a great deal of responsibility fresh out of college. You get to be a big fish in a small pond. Also, Decorah is a beautiful town and the staff are all fantastic people to work with.

Cons

This role has proven to be a 2 year position. Typically the Industrial Engineer in this position will begin fresh out of school and work between 2 and 3 years before moving on to bigger better things. This is likely because there are more opportunities for career growth in other locations such as Cedar Rapids or Melbourne Florida.

If you would like to improve IE retention in Decorah I would suggest either changing the role of the IE in that location to better align with the career growth plan, or manipulating the career plan to be more site specific. I find that IE's in this location take on more of a quality role in that we spend a great deal of time dealing with supplier non-conformances and rejects. In order for me to progress in the career plan provided to me, I would have to become more involved with operator load times, process flow, and other more typical IE related tasks. These things are currently not a part of our actual routine so when we submit PR&DP's we often times do not fall under the G2 or G3 criteria. This is why I am looking for opportunities elsewhere. That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent with this team and I highly suggest this position to any motivated individuals who have recently graduated and would like to be a part of a growing and exciting industry.