Ross Stores

Ross Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth

Michael A. Balmuth

Pros
  • The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise(in 60 reviews)

• You have a 20% discount card, and on special occasions that 20% doubles to 40%(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage start off isn't what I'd like to be making working there(in 70 reviews)

• The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like(in 22 reviews)

Extremely rewarding

Store Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsTons of opportunities for those who work hard and produce results. Upper Management always available to help and support stores. Stores within district really support each other. Store managers work alongside employees which helps create a motivated positive store atmosphere. I loved the family this company gave me!

ConsHigh turnover of lower store management due to low pay. Had to sell positions on growth opportunities which resulted in low experience supervisors who became overwhelmed easily. Store would benefit from more payroll each month because the amount of work required was not supported by what was given which meant management had to be cashiers instead of driving the business and focusing on employee engagement.

Advice to Senior Management$200 more per week in payroll would make a night and day difference in the positive outlook of employees.

Easy and Fun Sales Associate Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bristol, VA (US)

ProsReally great and flexible management. Great summer job.

ConsThe people you work with might not be top notch, but they are nice enough.

Its a good company to work for in management

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

Proscompetitive pay and good support of associates

Consmicro managing doing make work instead of reaching goals quickly

Advice to Senior Managementhow to handle constructive correction

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad first job (or second).

Cash Office and Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) Roseville, CA (US)

ProsWhat I liked best about Ross was having the ability to help out in different departments. I was able to learn several different roles. There were a lot of great people to work with. As long as you put in a time off request early enough they will do their best to accommodate you. The discount is pretty good, especially on double discount days. They give you a pay raise every year. Take advantage of the 401k plan. I didn't have to sell credit cards.

ConsRetail job and you get many customers coming in at the last minute when you are closing. Hard to plan things with the scheduling and hours (not as bad if you are working in a department that is mornings). They start at minimum wage. It is hard to move up. I was trying to get full-time while working there and 2/3 times did not hear about or see anything regarding a full-time opening. You need to be 18 to work here, or I would've started earlier and been there longer. My managers were often late to open the store, or did not hear the bell ring. One day I was in front of the store ringing the bell and calling for over 30 minutes!

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a better bell. No one can hear it. Please increase pay. Retail positions do not pay enough. More benefits for part-time would help too. Print out schedules earlier so people can have a life (maybe set shifts?).

Nice people, dead-end job.

Receptionist (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone you work with, execs to mailroom, are friendly. The benefits are good, with travel and a discounted stock purchase plan. There's a discount card which I was never able to use.

ConsAfter 2 years, I was making less than a dollar more than when I started as a temp. No receptionists stay because there is no opportunity for advancement to an administrative assistant position or operations assistant. They hire from outside instead of promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people from within. There's no reason to hire two operations assistants instead of giving a chance to any of the receptionist staff a chance at a more interesting job.

Great!!!

Cash Office and Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

ProsTheres so much to do. You work somewhere different every day. Im able to use my experience and apply it to what Im doing. Theres great people and discounts. Very flexible schedules

ConsLike all other retail it can seem overwhelming but, theres is great team efforts so you get through the rough times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is key dont assume your employees know what they are doing inspect what you expect.

its a good place to get your foot in the door to get more experience in retail

Retail Associate (Current Employee) Surprise, AZ (US)

Prosit helps becoming more of a team player, work with difficult cstomers

Consjust wish their were opportunities to progress in the job instead of once a year

Not a bad place to work, but it could be run a bit better

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros- employee discounts
    - great coworkers

Cons- Not nearly as many hours as I would like
    - Tend to over hire and not give hours to the associates who have been working here longer

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you guys get busy, but so do we.. If you see the FES with a long line of people dont stand there looking at the clipboard. Hop on a register and help out.

A pretty solid place to work

Store Protection Specialist (Former Employee) Bloomingdale, IL (US)

ProsI'd say the best reasons to work here are that the company is likely to hire you, has flexible scheduling, and an overall co-worker friendly environment.

ConsTraining could have been handled a lot better, I personally was just thrown into the water it felt like most of the time. When I started - not really any training and when I had to train others I had to wing it without much advice.

Great learning experience

ProsNYBO culture is great. Everyone full of questions and growth. Strong growth company with good strategy. Good benefits.

ConsTons of micro management. The company is in need of more people, causing overworking with-in the entry level positions.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!