Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews in United States

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Royal Bank of Scotland Group Chief Executive Ross McEwan

Ross McEwan

Pros
  • Work-life balance is fair and constant monitoring of your growth as an individual here (in 163 reviews)

• Nice work environment at Stamford CT, state of the art building and work spaces (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is pathetic for some departments (in 16 reviews)

• Commute, Poorly managed areas and senior management constantly change gears (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights
84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Has it's ups and down, but over all a good place to work

Loan Administrator (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsGreat work / life balance. From day one I had 20 days of PTO to use each year, plus all the banking holidays. A great starting wage. The company has a strong focus on volunteer work, which is good to give back

ConsThe banking industry is still going through a recovering faze after the '08 crash. RBS is majority owned by the UK government, and the raising level of auditors and regulators is staggering. Morale is low, as positions are being taken back east, or to India.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep the lines of communication open. It is good to receive communication from that perspective.

Operations Analyst

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Stamford, CT (US)

ProsGood culture.. People are willing to help you out. Reasonable hours.

ConsCompesnsation. Location is not in New York City. The firm's reputation in Europe is not good at all and not too much better in the US.

Great Pay with Troubled Company

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Stamford, CT (US)

ProsGreat pay, great office (North American HQ), most people are friendly and professional

ConsThe future of the Bank is unstable, especially in the US, and layoffs can happen without notice. Most contractors working there are overpaid and do less work than most other positions that pay a fraction of their pay rates. But that's the reality of big banks and why they're great if you have a secure job there

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up on the big spending and poor acquisitions and maybe so many jobs won't be cut

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RBS not good to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stamford, CT (US)

Prosnot a good employee at all!

Consmanagement is extremely poor, 'clicky' department

Advice to Senior Managementneed to take more time to engagement and listen to employees

Decent pay with good people to work with depending on the department

Vice President (Current Employee) Stamford, CT (US)

ProsIf you work hard, people will notice you and give you more responsibility to grow your career. Based pay are at market and great PTO policy. It is very hard to find another place with better PTO policy.

ConsBonus is limited by British Government (bad business combination when you are controlled by government). No communication between departments. Work in Solo. No horizontal movement to other department after reaching VP level.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more horizontal movement between department and raise base pay to compensate bonus restriction. Breakdown departmental solo and allow department to work together to create synergy.

I would stay away from this company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT (US)

ProsStamford office is state of the art and the staff is very friendly.

ConsCommute, Poorly managed areas and senior management constantly change gears...hard to see the direction of the company because of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage and not micro manage employees and put into place options Work from home flexibility.

Not the perfect place to work for

ProsYou are given some freedom

ConsThe managers do whatever they want do, and they sweet talk you, but will never protect you..they will do illegal stuff, but will clip you if you do it because it benefits them

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about existing clients service, not just signing up new PREYs

Great Work Life Balance, But too Much Focus on Company change, not enough employee retention

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Taylorsville, UT (US)

ProsUtah office - fantastic work life balance, great hours.
    Salary is competitive based on experience
    Great people to work with

ConsThere are way too many company initiatives employees are expected to be on board with (without adequate reward). Initiatives are a blatant cost/headcount reduction exercises.
    Not enough employee recognition, development and reward

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees to increase staff retention and morale

Shrinking US presense

Consultant (Current Employee) Stamford, CT (US)

ProsGreat headquarter building. Young management team.

ConsLocation, work life balance, company in transition

RBS good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat corporate benefits Great pay and opportunities
    Good working environment

ConsNo work/life balance Long hours

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!