Royal Mail

Be The First To
Add Photos

Royal Mail CEO Moya M. Greene

Moya M. Greene

Pros:
  • "work life balance , fresh air, nice to be out doors working with the public"
    in 3 reviews
  • "good pay, good hours, good career opportunities"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management tend to new employees challenging routes with no guidance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Delivery managers are pressed to reduce expenditure quite substantially"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Happy

Training and Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Royal Mail full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHad some great years there. Pleasure to go work. Felt a part of something special and strong branding.

ConsIt is a big company and you can get lost in the crowd. Many of the staff are frightened to take a risk for fear of losing their job. Sometimes difficult to do things due to funding limitations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI met some great managers and some not so good. Fairly typical of a large employer.

Loved the job itself, but Royal Mail Managers are notorious for being bullies. Being strong willed and clued in helps!

POSTMAN FULL TIME (Former Employee)
Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland

I worked at Royal Mail full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was in my best shape physically when working as a postman. The overtime collecting from boxes and sub post offices was easy work and well paid. You are your own boss effectively once you're out on delivery. The workers union is very good at defending your case when necessary.

ConsOvertime isn't the same now as when i was there. Managers will trying and bully you into working your days off if they need the manpower. I once has another colleague sent to my front door at 5 in the morning to tell me to come in despite me having told the manager i couldn't & wouldn't the day before.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen i worked for royal mail if i got my run done early i was able to go back and then help someone else out with their run and get over time for that (while still being within my own runs time) This incentive has disappeared now with being automatically sent back out to help others. This just encourages the lazy workers to slow down and they know now they will get help no matter what.

postman

Delivery Postman (Current Employee)
Montrose, Scotland

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood excercise, steady job , and once on the street you get to manage your own time ,, though everything is time critical these days

Consbullying management , unrealistic targets,, over fondness for paperwork

Advice to Senior Managementlisten more to your workers

Good place to work to keep fit

Postman (Former Employee)
Godalming, England

I worked at Royal Mail as a contractor for more than a year

ProsKeeps you fit and your outdoors most of the time. Nice customers.

ConsAbsolute muppets in the delivery office. Majority of people could not do any other job, this is the limit of their capacity and it shows! Management are duplicitous and lazy with no interest in developing or promoting you. Staff get away with things any other company would sack you for. Massive overtime scams take place all the time costing the company millions through false claims and management allow it

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the device of the postman. They are the ones who talk to the customers.

a very satisfying job.

Postman (Former Employee)
Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Royal Mail full-time for more than 10 years

Prosplenty of opportunities for promotion, the ability to move from one area of work to another. able to do shifts and hours to suit your lifestyle.

Conshaving to work unsocial hours, working in all kinds of weather, for instance,rain and snow, very early starts and late finishes.

Advice to Senior Managementremember that the uniformed staff are the faces that the public see, therefore ensure that they are doing their jobs correctly, to keep complaints to a minimum.

Ok, but not much for development and career growth

Manager (Current Employee)
Bristol, England

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRelatively good earnings, although the salary gap between postmen/women and front line management is decreasing all the time.

There appears to be some strong direction from the top of the company, with the recent privatisation being a good example of forward thinking.

The continuous improvement programme in place has addressed some of the simple issues that hadn't been addressed before.

ConsFrontline management is the buffer between an antiquated union and, what feels like, upper management that isn't interested in what the union thinks. This puts frontline managers into difficult situations quite often.

There seems to be an agenda to overlook experienced, managers in favour of graduates when it comes to promotion opportunities. As a result, there is little opportunity for career advancement unless a person has come from the graduate pool.

If you are unfortunate enough to become involved with the continuous improvement programme, look out! There are audits every 4 months and most people presenting at the audits end up taking around 100 hours to put together information that will only be looked at for 40 minutes by the auditors. Considering that workloads are high, this is a major concern.

Delivery managers are pressed to reduce expenditure quite substantially. This results in them working up to 60 hours per week because they frequently need to do the jobs of postmen/women (if they are absent), as well as their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the workload of Delivery Managers.

Address the decreasing pay gap.

Internal career progression, for non-graduates, is almost non-existent.

Taking an e-learning course is not 'career development.'

There are some very good leaders within the company that are being overlooked by the desire to bring in fresh external candidates.

Stop the audits, they are a waste of time/money after the easy things have been addressed.

Sorting during Xmas holiday while at College

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Royal Mail part-time

ProsA friendly team to work with, flexible hours

ConsNo cons, work was enjoyable

Simple but physically demanding

OPG (Current Employee)
Huddersfield, England

ProsKeeps you fit
Well Paid
Camradarie good

ConsSenior management lack understanding of postmans role
Senior management have a low opinion of their workers, and have no trust in them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntsitute formal training for managers and make them leaders and motivators not form filling, budget watching automatons that only report what they think their bosses want reporting.

Good

Mail Sorter (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Royal Mail as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood managers
Easy job to do

ConsLazy colleges made a simple job seem harder due to lack of work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to pay attention to where work is needed

Great experience

Postman (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Royal Mail part-time for more than a year

ProsAvailability of over time; challenges; enjoyable

ConsPressured environment; sometimes required to work overtime; dogs and cold weather!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more permanent staff.

Worked for Royal Mail? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Mail reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Royal Mail CEO Moya M. Greene. All 56 reviews are posted anonymously by Royal Mail employees.