Rue La La Reviews

Updated 27 September 2014
Updated 27 September 2014
3.5

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales (in 13 reviews)

• great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent experience

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

strong team - great benefits

Cons

None really strong well run small company

Comments on "HR IS A JOKE"

I worked at Rue La La as an intern

Pros

I did not work at Rue when HR was a joke, but from the 3 months i spent with them and their whole new team, it looks like they got their stuff together.

Cons

Confusion with job descriptions when applying

Good resume booster. Hard to move up though.

Current Employee - Event Coordinator  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue La La as a contractor

Pros

Sample sales, decent work life balance, snack closet. You learn a lot in terms of managing multiple tasks, troubleshooting, etc. It's also one of those "cool" companies so the name will get you far sometimes.

Cons

The materials management team is extremely cliquey. Some nice people, but unless you are coming in with other new workers, it's hard to find your place. As a contractor, you can feel extremely disposable. Unless you lucked out and snagged a role doing full-time work (as in one of the full-time workers got promoted or is leaving), you're pretty screwed when it comes time to get rid of all the extra people after the craziness of the busy season is over. Very sink or swim mentality... not that much support.

Take better care of the contractors doing full-time work. It's hard to do full-time work with a contractor title. I mean, we already don't get any benefits, might as well give us the things we need to do our job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people-- good place to for a first job / short term role

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Great people, "cool " office culture and some fun perks. Company name Looks good on a resume and will help you land that "next" ( better!!!) job!

Cons

No growth opportunity ! Back office management is "stuck". A group of "friends" that like to hear each other talk and are not open to new managers , promoting real talent or any new ideas. It's too bad because the company could be great if they could clear out the "cobwebs". DONT GET ME STARTED on what a JOKE the HR TEAM is!!! From their so called " Chief People Person!!!) Lol !!! To the most useless , unorganized team I have worked with in my 25 year career!!!

Get rid of the old school click in back office !!! Stop hiring friend and when good talent comes thru the door -- try listening to them and maybe they will stick around --- get out of your own way and enough with the endless
    "Meetings" about "meetings" where you pat each other on back but nothing leaves the glass walk conference rooms and / or ever gets done!!!!

Great Summer Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Rue La La as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Rue La La's internship program is absolutely the best. Over the summer, I had the opportunity to own many projects and was able to see how my work directly impacted the business.

What sets Rue's internship program apart, I believe, is the fact that I was given so much responsibility. Team members valued my opinion like I was a regular employee; I never felt like I was treated any lesser because I was an intern here.

My favorite part about Rue La La is the the people that I got to meet. At Rue, people are welcoming and collaborative. There is a lot of cross-departmental work and everyone seems to know each other's name.

I would recommend the internship program to anyone looking for a challenging, rewarding internship opportunity in Boston.

Cons

I did not observe anything at Rue La La that I would consider as a con. The culture fosters learning and development better than any other program that I have heard of.

Keep up the great work!

Do NOT work here

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Portfolio work, some great friends, and networking

Cons

Management is beyond horrible and cruel. I have never in my life been treated so terribly by a company both within my position and personally. They are incredibly discriminatory, and will never take you seriously. They want everyone to be a robot, and stay static within their position. You will never be appreciated or respected for a job well done or exceeding expectations. There is a high school vibe there, and people are very cliquey which leads to major favoritism. The hr department is a total joke, and have zero idea what they are doing. The CEO of the company quit a year ago with one day notice, followed by the resignation of the creative director, so...what does that tell you. There is something seriously wrong with this company, so do yourself a favor and stay away. The only thing you will walk away from this company with is some great friends.

Take some management classes, tone down your egos, respect and value your employees, create a beneficial and successful structure, and stop hiring your best friends because all it has done is create an unpleasant work environment, and the disability of those who work so hard, to get anywhere within the company. Figure it out.

great stepping stone due to the name of company

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks)

Cons

not inclusive for temps/contractors
    not willing to pass on knowledge. I had to pry it out of my team

Growing, successful company that is dedicated to improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are kind, creative, smart, and have character. Summer Fridays are great. There is a energetic buzz in the office. The employees are dedicated to achieving the goals of the organization and company. They invest in continued learning and education for employees.

Cons

Be more modern and competitive with perks, benefits, and office/tech equipment.

Empower people. Provide more access to opportunity. Increase accountability and infuse passion back into the company. This will help employees satisfied and working hard.

Cool Business. Cool People. Cool Company. (Contracted Personnel)

Current Employee - Contract Office Administrator  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Contract Office Administrator in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue La La as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Everyone, including the exec team, are very nice and welcoming. I am only one a 3.5 month contract and I have heard from others that contracted people can sometimes become full-time. Its a young company and its really cool to see it grow and feel like I am part of something bigger. Also people are very helpful and are very willing to answer questions.
    There are a lot of people that are contracted that I have met, and/or, heard about.

Additional pros of being contract/ working at Rue:
    Really get to test out the company and makes you want to work extra hard
    Get to participate in sample sales
    Bagel Fridays
    If you are contract in a position you aren't crazy about, it is easy to ask about other departments
    Telling people I work at Rue

Cons

It may be due to my position, but I don,t really have any cons. The pay is decent, there is no discount for contract, and, once again this could be due to my position, it is difficult to get more work and tasks..

great staff that needs better leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lower to middle management works incredibly hard. the office culture can be fun because of the people. there is some training that HR team does and they do take their role fairly seriously. perks include sample sales but those really don't make up for the back breaking hours expected and demanded of staff. the best part of this company is the individuals doing the day in and day out work, the producers, the studio, the retouchers, the writers, the creative team, the IT team, the buyers, the planners, the shipping teams and DC.

Cons

Work-Life balance is completely off and unsupportive of private life, families, appointments, illnesses etc. the feeling is that no one cares and it really doesn't matter what occurs in you life Rue La La expects that it is your life. 12-15 hour workdays are the norm here and anything under gets you shunned by peers. weekend work is expected, constantly being on at all hours and answering every email is expected. Upper management is fairly delusional about how to grow and strategize and they still treat it as though it is a fledgling start up. they hurtle through and have high expectations, telling people what to do rather than being motivating leaders. They set these examples from senior management on down the line so all managers adopt this neurotic sense of flustered work and of caring very little for the employees and how to produce innovative work by being motivators rather than diminishers. it's really a shame because they have incredible staff but can't get their heads out of the sand to acknowledge, celebrate, and achieve. In addition there are substantiated rumors that HR and leadership asked current employees to give better ratings and for them to write glowing reviews here to up their status rather than actually doing something worthwhile to change it which is disappointing in itself.

Be a leader not just a boss. you're draining your employees capabilities and energies by scare tactics, demands, and basic wearing down. Inspire your employees. Rue used to have key words to live by none of which were actually put into everyday use or practice starting with the senior management. You have opportunity, stop overworking and underutilizing

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!