Rue La La Reviews

Updated 16 October 2014
Updated 16 October 2014
3.5

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales (in 13 reviews)

• great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 11 reviews)

• No one willing to step up and lead but many willing to sling blame at one another (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast-paced company with ample opportunity for learning & growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Having worked at companies in a variety of industries, I can confidently say that Rue La La values and cares about its employees at a far higher level than anywhere else I have worked. It is challenging to maintain such a engaging, high-touch culture during periods of growth, but Rue is rising to that challenge. Working here, I feel you get get benefits of working at an established company, while still being lean & small enough to make changes that matter, even if you are in a junior-level role.

Cons

Rue is positioned in a uniquely fast-paced, ever-changing industry, which requires a high level of openness to change. If you are able to adapt to shifts in the way things operate along with some growing pans, you'll be able to succeed while learning more in the process. If you raise your hand when you see something you'd like to change, you can make an impact.

Continue to put your people first, and to remember that communication can make a world of difference in times of change.

Rue is thinking to the future

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, smart people. Smart conversation happening throughout the office, each & every day.

Cons

The pro of constant change yields to the con of lack of focus -this can be draining & discourage collaboration & planning for the future

Understand when there is a gap between Sr. Management & day-to-day work, and work towards it.

Planning Analyst Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Rue La La as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for- everyone is incredibly friendly and laid back, yet hard-working and there are tons of company perks.

Cons

Rue is a very fast-paced environment, so you have to be incredibly organized at all times and recognize what projects should take precedence over others.

Good resume booster. Hard to move up though.

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue La La as a contractor

Pros

Sample sales, decent work life balance, snack closet. You learn a lot in terms of managing multiple tasks, troubleshooting, etc. It's also one of those "cool" companies so the name will get you far sometimes.

Cons

The materials management team is extremely cliquey. Some nice people, but unless you are coming in with other new workers, it's hard to find your place. As a contractor, you can feel extremely disposable. Unless you lucked out and snagged a role doing full-time work (as in one of the full-time workers got promoted or is leaving), you're pretty screwed when it comes time to get rid of all the extra people after the craziness of the busy season is over. Very sink or swim mentality... not that much support.

Take better care of the contractors doing full-time work. It's hard to do full-time work with a contractor title. I mean, we already don't get any benefits, might as well give us the things we need to do our job.

Excellent experience

I worked at Rue La La full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

strong team - great benefits

Cons

None really strong well run small company

Comments on "HR IS A JOKE"

I worked at Rue La La as an intern

Pros

I did not work at Rue when HR was a joke, but from the 3 months i spent with them and their whole new team, it looks like they got their stuff together.

Cons

Confusion with job descriptions when applying

Bizarre experience

Former Employee - Assistant Event Coordinator in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Event Coordinator in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

i can imagine that this would be a fun place to work right out of college. Most employees are young girls in their early twenties.

Cons

I have to preface this review. I was hired as a contractor and I realize that there is different treatment for these types of employees. I have been a working professional for 12 years and have a pretty thick skin when it comes to awkward work situations. I do not expect "hand-holding" while working nor do I like that approach but this experience left a terrible taste in my mouth. I started a few days later than HR had originally set up due to a family emergency. On my first day, I waited in reception for 2 hours until someone came to retrieve me. This was the first of many times something like this happened. I understand how the day can get away from you and you may forget about a detail such as someone starting... but 2 hours?From there, I bounced around to at least 5 different people's desks where they began to train me. The training was fragmented so much that it was difficult to follow, remember and understand. There was no training manual. After the first day, I realized there was no set person to ask questions when they arose. This was extremely frustrating for me since I was given a list of things to do. I had no login information set up, and was using other people's passwords to sign into the 3 different platforms used to do my work the entire time I worked for this company.

I was seated next to 3 other girls, who, throughout my first week, were moved to different areas of the office, leaving me to sit by myself 100 yards away from anyone who had originally trained me. It was extremely isolating and odd. So odd, that random people would walk by and say "wow! They have you all by yourself over here!" I did not have a phone, so anytime there was a question, I had to physically go somewhere or send an email ( which are notoriously never answered in this company). No one said hello, checked in with me on a daily basis, etc. It was clear I was being set up to fail. It felt like I was in some social experiment to see how long it would take someone to quit.

I look back and realize Rue La La wasn't a good fit for me. It is very young (the majority of people being 23 years old and younger), cliquey, and very competitive. There were perhaps 2 people there that were genuinely nice to me. No one made an attempt to get to know me, train me or treat me like a team member. I felt like a nuisance from the beginning.

I realize everyone in this company is very busy but assigning 2 different people to train a new person would streamline the process for everyone, including management.

Rue La La Response

Oct 20, 2014Recruiting Director

Thank you for your response, we apologize for the less than stellar experience. Some of the points that you raised are being addressed by the Talent team. We are in the midst of developing programs ... More

Great people-- good place to for a first job / short term role

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Great people, "cool " office culture and some fun perks. Company name Looks good on a resume and will help you land that "next" ( better!!!) job!

Cons

No growth opportunity ! Back office management is "stuck". A group of "friends" that like to hear each other talk and are not open to new managers , promoting real talent or any new ideas. It's too bad because the company could be great if they could clear out the "cobwebs". DONT GET ME STARTED on what a JOKE the HR TEAM is!!! From their so called " Chief People Person!!!) Lol !!! To the most useless , unorganized team I have worked with in my 25 year career!!!

Get rid of the old school click in back office !!! Stop hiring friend and when good talent comes thru the door -- try listening to them and maybe they will stick around --- get out of your own way and enough with the endless
    "Meetings" about "meetings" where you pat each other on back but nothing leaves the glass walk conference rooms and / or ever gets done!!!!

Great Summer Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Rue La La as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Rue La La's internship program is absolutely the best. Over the summer, I had the opportunity to own many projects and was able to see how my work directly impacted the business.

What sets Rue's internship program apart, I believe, is the fact that I was given so much responsibility. Team members valued my opinion like I was a regular employee; I never felt like I was treated any lesser because I was an intern here.

My favorite part about Rue La La is the the people that I got to meet. At Rue, people are welcoming and collaborative. There is a lot of cross-departmental work and everyone seems to know each other's name.

I would recommend the internship program to anyone looking for a challenging, rewarding internship opportunity in Boston.

Cons

I did not observe anything at Rue La La that I would consider as a con. The culture fosters learning and development better than any other program that I have heard of.

Keep up the great work!

Do NOT work here

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Portfolio work, some great friends, and networking

Cons

Management is beyond horrible and cruel. I have never in my life been treated so terribly by a company both within my position and personally. They are incredibly discriminatory, and will never take you seriously. They want everyone to be a robot, and stay static within their position. You will never be appreciated or respected for a job well done or exceeding expectations. There is a high school vibe there, and people are very cliquey which leads to major favoritism. The hr department is a total joke, and have zero idea what they are doing. The CEO of the company quit a year ago with one day notice, followed by the resignation of the creative director, so...what does that tell you. There is something seriously wrong with this company, so do yourself a favor and stay away. The only thing you will walk away from this company with is some great friends.

Take some management classes, tone down your egos, respect and value your employees, create a beneficial and successful structure, and stop hiring your best friends because all it has done is create an unpleasant work environment, and the disability of those who work so hard, to get anywhere within the company. Figure it out.