Ryan, LLC

Updated 11 November 2014
4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

The most challenging and stimulating place I've ever worked

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ryan has created a winning meritocracy in tax services. The top performers achieve more than they ever could any where else. Those that aren't top performers go to Big 4.

Cons

The worst part of Ryan is listening to those who can't cut it whinning about incentive compensation inequity. Please leave and don't mess it up for the rest of us.

Quit coddling people. You cannot make everyone a top performer. Recognize that and do what needs to be done.

Mostly good, some very bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to make your mark and increase your knowledge and skills. MyRyan is great if you need a bit of work/life flexibility.

Bonus plan can be very good if you are in the right practice and on the right engagements.

Cons

There are some leaders that should not be allowed to have any staff interaction as they lack leadership, common courtesy, and most basic of interpersonal business skills.

One leader is even allowed to remain despite numerous harassment incidents at multiple firms.

Clean house of personalities that drag down reputation. Money isn't everything and it is certainly not enough upon which to risk a great reputation.

Freedom to work from home; leadership and management is too centralized in one person/city

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times. If you're on the right team, then you'll enjoy your time here. There are some very, very smart tax professionals here.

Cons

Compensation is far below market. Management is too centralized. The CEO must review and approve nearly all money that leaves the company which slows things down tremendously

Relaxed and High Growth Atmosphere

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

myRyan - It's up to your team to decide on how they want to utilize it. I could have done 90% of my work at home. All I had to do was keep my team updated. myRyan truly is a 100% guilt-free environment and team productivity did not seem to be negatively affected.

Growth - Ryan is growing at a tremendous pace. Ryan's services are valued highly by clients. Ryan obviously has a competitive edge in their niche and clients are able to see that. Now is the best time to work for Ryan. Get your foot in the door; you'll climb up the ladder in no time.

Training - Training (at the Dallas office) met or exceeded my expectations. In addition to the required training, Ryan offers MANY opportunities throughout the year to take optional courses (in-house, web, and subsidized outside training) to develop your skills.

Cons

Work can get monotonous. Base compensation is subpar.

There seems to be a disconnect between HQ (Dallas) and other locations. Ryan's Dallas office is where you want to be. Focus on solidifying Ryan's brand and offer traditional classroom training in all locations. Some of the training is highly intensive and requires face to face interaction; it is unrealistic to expect non-HQ staff to absorb the same material via a WebEX stream.

Great Experience

I worked at Ryan, LLC

Pros

There is a ton of flexibility with hours and working from home. Bonuses can be sizable with successful teams.

Cons

There isn't a lot of cooperation between teams. Another possible downside is that the overwhelming majority employees are conservative. It isn't really a pro or a con, but it is worth noting.

While having teams compete for business leads to some extremely successful teams, more collaboration might make the company more productive overall.

Love my job!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great work/home life balance called MyRyan. We can work from home when needed and dont have specified hours. Also, we have a great compensation plan.

Cons

Base salary is low but large bonuses make up for the low salary.

Intern at Ryan LLC

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Ryan, LLC as an intern

Pros

Very flexible work environment with great people working in the office.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to coordinate with HR if you are in a different office.

Smart people, driven environment, with great application of technology to enable work/life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are on a team that has the support or is managed by the more tenured leadership, this can be a great company with many great experiences for a young professional.

Cons

As the company has grown, it has become difficult to move up, and politics plays a big role in upper management. Many of the large accounts are managed by partners that have been at the firm for a long time, and get paid a significant amount of money based upon the work of others, and very little of their own effort.

Amazing flexibility!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexibility that allows you to achieve results without a focus on hours in the office. Working from home is easy and encouraged.

Cons

Due to out of office work environment, newer employees may have a difficult time learning, adjusting, etc.

Create stronger development and training programs that assist new employees with a transition to Ryan. Otherwise, you will lose new employees that feel lost.

Good company if you like tax

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Cons

Work is mundane and boring, lots of data entry and invoice pulling