Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated 14 October 2014
4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• My Ryan" allows workers to work from home which leads to employee retention (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

If you want to be in tax, this is the place to be in terms of career development and growth.

Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong management team with good growth potential.

Cons

Boring, lots of menial job tasks.

Okay for an entry level position

Former Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Time-off policies

Cons

- Low salary
    - High turnover rates

Overworked, under paid

Former Employee - Manager Or Above
    Former Employee - Manager Or Above

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The concept of MyRyan (work where ever, when ever) is great but poor implementation.

Cons

It is not a healthy work environment. Certain departments are very understaffed therefore you have to work very long hours (2 am) to complete your work. Certain departments are still very chauvinistic, creating a hostile work environment towards women. I had very high expectations based on the story Ryan was selling. However, it was a very disappointing experience. HR and upper management are not interested in feedback or receiving concerns regarding the environment.

Walk your talk. If you really want to make it a great place to work, be open to all feedback--even feedback that says you aren't doing so well.

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The use of myRyan is absolutely exceptional. This allows employees to work from any location, without the need to be in the office. Because Ryan is structured as a team environment, the use of myRyan is heavily dependent upon whether your manager wishes to use it for your team. Many teams do not use it often. Depending on which division you are in (sales and use, unclaimed property, etc), there will be opportunities for travel. There is no micro-managing - however, this is dependent upon your team. In my team, there was micro-managing. The firm offers a variety of free courses to further your knowledge via RyanNet.

Cons

Because of the use of myRyan, the business is driven by work performed and not hours worked. There have been numerous occasions where my manager would send me e-mails at 2am. Consequently, there is no work-life balance. Your experience at Ryan will be extremely dependent upon whose team you are in. Your success is dependent upon who is you team leader/manager. The benefits at the firm are not that great either: pay, bonus, health insurance. Because Ryan is a specialty tax firm, make sure this is the career you want to be in. The skills you acquire here will not transfer easily to another firm. I believe that unless you are in the Dallas HQ office, you will not enjoy your time here.

When you promote someone to a managerial position, make sure you give them all of the necessary training BEFORE they assume that position. Additionally, re-structure your training program for new hires. the on-boarding process was nonexistent. Lastly, understand your employee morale outside of the Dallas HQ. Don't put so much emphasis on random surveys that you make your employees fill out almost every month.

There is no work life balance--only work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very smart, and very good at what they do. Brint Ryan is a visionary and very dynamic.

Cons

Their "work/life balance" program, myRyan, does not work. Your work is never done, and many of the leaders don't respect boundaries--no time is sacred--not the middle of the night, not holidays, not weekends....they will call and email you and expect a response.

Learn to tell what is truly an emergency and what isn't. People need time off to disengage from work.

Manager at Ryan

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing pay structure. Rewards success. Ability to make a lot of money.

Cons

Internal hurdles, approvals, etc. take time to get processed. Partner group is over-saturated with "managers" of projects.

Focus on results. Some of the partners are not client facing and focus on immaterial details. Reliance on mangers to develop issues, market, manage client relationship, etc. without keeping an eye on the bigger picture.

Room for removal of partners who don't add value but just manage projects or who just ride other partners/managers issues to make their numbers.

Getting better by the week

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing! In 2014 my husband's health insurance was so bad we switched to mine. I'm happy to have an employer who cares about the health of their employees!

Cons

Pay not consisten with industry/city standards

I'm treated as a professional

Current Employee - Ano in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Ano in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding. In addition, management is willing to listen to employees through town-hall meetings.

Cons

No issues with the firm

Keep striving to improve employees.

Potential for greatness but stuck at mediocre.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

lots of work, very philanthropic company, myRyan platform provides opportunities to work outside of the office for some.

Cons

Pay is not great, medical benefits are expensive, 401 K benefits are not good, myRyan is not available for all especially in corporate services departments like Finance.

Pay is very low considering all of the hoops you are required to jump through and how much work there is to do constantly. Systems are slow and outdated plus every step is repeated which takes up a huge amount of time. Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform. I have noticed management is a bit controlling which I believe is why some can't utilize myRyan.

The company I worked for before Ryan offered 100% matching on 401 K and the medical benefits paid more and covered more. For instance if you sign up for a High Deductible plan, my former employer would deposit $500 for single person, or $1000 for a family into an HSA account to help with the costs and you were responsible for $2700 deductible and after that it was 80/20 until you reached $5500 then everything was paid 100%.

Would be nice to see Ryan take better care of their employees.

We are professional, please treat us as such. Most of us would love our jobs if we were given the same opportunities as other Ryan associates. Moral would improve if the above stipulations were met. We all want to be treated fairly and appreciated as well as treated like adults.

Brilliant place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Motivating Leaders, Inspiring Vision and achievements, Transparent work culture

Cons

It gets better every day

With the path designed and being followed by Ryan; it will definitely meet its goals, earlier then expected