Ryder System

Updated 13 December 2014
Updated 13 December 2014
2.8

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

Technology needs to be updated.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

Benefits, time off, ability to grow

Cons

Too many meetings, upper management sometimes restricts upward advancement

good experience

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

good enviroment pay growth opportunities

Cons

benifits not that good only good opportunities if you like to travel

listen more to emplyees opionions

Decent Company Good Benefits

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will gain a plethora of knowledge and experience. Good entry level job right out of college. Decent benefits. They have no problem sending you to training which for me was always at headquarters in Miami, Fl.

Cons

Work/Life balance is extremely unbalanced. There was a high turnover rate in my department with management therefore standards were always changing. Policies and procedures were not enforced across the board therefore inconsistencies in expectations were a norm, which was very frustrating and often brought morale down. No room for growth.

Be consistent and practice impartiality.

A frustrating place to work that does not foster productivity.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Medley, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Medley, FL (US)

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

Dry Cleaning service. Cafeteria. Generally friendly people.

Cons

Serious operational issues make it extremely difficult to focus on actual work. Getting resources and permissions is a bureaucratic nightmare. Goals are often lofty, but responsibility is often left unassigned and details left unspecified, so these goals are left to stagnate. Ryder also has a culture of finger pointing and unnecessary meetings, and a lack of focus on productive work. There are a lot of long-time paper shufflers and bureaucrats at this large, slow-moving, disorganized company.

Lower barriers to resource and permissions access, and emphasize faster allocation of these. For example, if someone needs permissions to a database or server, the project owner or project manager should be able to grant them this access, since they are the person responsible for the project. Currently, a request like this would have to go through the project manager, then to at least one more person, typically in an unrelated IT department. Ultimately, the person who actually grants access is unfamiliar with the project, and is simply following the project managers orders, but in being involved drastically slows down the process.

Truck driver for GE account. Only black driver . Deliver aircraft parts.

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Burlington, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Burlington, KY (US)

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Good pay n nice equipment. Been here 4yrs. Decent benefits. Drive new trucks.

Cons

No blacks. Been called n word. Stereotypical thinking, biases opinions that impede employment opportunities n growth

Affirmative action is necessary, specially when you're a contractor for GE , who deals with military contracts. Meetings. Communication, with employees. Never a excuse for that many people n one black. Adress head on and stop sweeping under the rug

Terrible experience with this company.

Former Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Bensenville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Bensenville, IL (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was opportunity for advancement within the company eventually i suppose, however, you are stuck as a salaried employee behind the rental counter handling issues with truck drivers all day and nit compensated nearly enough.

Cons

Everything about it was negative for me. I was initially offered the position with a salary of $35,000/yr but ended up talking them up to $40,000/yr. In the end I was losing money overall.

Reorganization

Low pay

Current Employee - Support Position
    Current Employee - Support Position

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

You are not micromanaged too much.

Cons

Low pay for salaried employees that are overworked at times; Other times - scrape for work when projects and issues are low or fall through. Heavily intensive on billing customers. Company stability in question as they often replace contractors and/or announce budget issues. No upward mobility.

Forecast properly. Don't focus on billing the clients as much - think of other ways to justify employee positions. Stand up for the department you're managing.

Safety Driven Company

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done. Otr drivers make bonuses and are treated very well (when always on guard about safety). Plenty of work if your dedicated to long hours as any good or bad paid trucking job. Its dedicated work, meaning you're on a certain type of account with its own customer they supply moving freight for. The best kind of work in my opinion. If for some reason your account is out of a job Ryder has a lot of jobs that you can transfer to without losing seniority at the company. No need to fill out new applications.

Cons

You are completely under the gun for any mistakes with DOT and its unacceptable to Ryder for any missed permits or paperwork, mechanical or physical problems that are left unattended. You may have to switch trucks when yours is in the shop and a rental sub is provided. Yet the rental dept will give you a truck completely unsatisfactory for the road with missed paperwork, decals like DOT stickers and even company name. Also rental trucks are very filthy and they won't really have much simpathy for you. Depends on what kind of manager you have to meet your concerns. Lastly being a truck driver is a con all by itself, nobody cares about your long hours and customers don't care about violating log hours. They just need there freight. Also electronic logs make it hard when you ten minutes away from your terminal and out of hours. So plan on staying in the truck another night.

They do there best and I cant give them any problems. With my account I have an outstanding manager. Upper management will cut cost by cutting jobs making it near impossible to get all the work done on time. And keeping drivers that don't get anything done making it harder for the ones that do

I work with a great team.

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We get to work on late model equipment in clean safe shops. Ryder supplies OEM diagnostics and manuals. Good pay, decent benefits. Lease equipment to lots of customers so not as worried about layoffs. Company stock purchase program.

Cons

We are on call lots, phone rings at all hours for all the trucks in your fleet and if its broke down in your area or if someone needs something from the shop you got to go in and pretty quick, no home life and little sleep those weeks and still expected to perform well on your regular shifts. Generally rotate calls with only a few techs, so your number comes back up pretty quick. If you don't have a shift following your shift, well don't plan anything when you are scheduled to go home either.

Keep the doors open 24/7, its trucking