Ryder System

Updated 18 November 2014
Updated 18 November 2014
2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 12 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I work with a great team.

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We get to work on late model equipment in clean safe shops. Ryder supplies OEM diagnostics and manuals. Good pay, decent benefits. Lease equipment to lots of customers so not as worried about layoffs. Company stock purchase program.

Cons

We are on call lots, phone rings at all hours for all the trucks in your fleet and if its broke down in your area or if someone needs something from the shop you got to go in and pretty quick, no home life and little sleep those weeks and still expected to perform well on your regular shifts. Generally rotate calls with only a few techs, so your number comes back up pretty quick. If you don't have a shift following your shift, well don't plan anything when you are scheduled to go home either.

Keep the doors open 24/7, its trucking

awesome place to work

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

personal growth, the people are great

Cons

leadership and management style needs some work

Safety Driven Company

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done. Otr drivers make bonuses and are treated very well (when always on guard about safety). Plenty of work if your dedicated to long hours as any good or bad paid trucking job. Its dedicated work, meaning you're on a certain type of account with its own customer they supply moving freight for. The best kind of work in my opinion. If for some reason your account is out of a job Ryder has a lot of jobs that you can transfer to without losing seniority at the company. No need to fill out new applications.

Cons

You are completely under the gun for any mistakes with DOT and its unacceptable to Ryder for any missed permits or paperwork, mechanical or physical problems that are left unattended. You may have to switch trucks when yours is in the shop and a rental sub is provided. Yet the rental dept will give you a truck completely unsatisfactory for the road with missed paperwork, decals like DOT stickers and even company name. Also rental trucks are very filthy and they won't really have much simpathy for you. Depends on what kind of manager you have to meet your concerns. Lastly being a truck driver is a con all by itself, nobody cares about your long hours and customers don't care about violating log hours. They just need there freight. Also electronic logs make it hard when you ten minutes away from your terminal and out of hours. So plan on staying in the truck another night.

They do there best and I cant give them any problems. With my account I have an outstanding manager. Upper management will cut cost by cutting jobs making it near impossible to get all the work done on time. And keeping drivers that don't get anything done making it harder for the ones that do

Love my Career Choice

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Growing and strong Company
    Opportunity if you are willing to travel
    Hard working and Good people throughout the company.
    It's always customer first

Cons

Lack of Sr Executive presence and accountability. (Group Director and Up).
    Lots of Travel and no "Work Life Balance"
    Poor IT systems
    Support of employees only occurs at Headquarters, double standards

Staffing levels at locations don't support the requirement causing overworked Management failure and turn over.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Field Supply Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Field Supply Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth with exceptional work and availability to move. Good benefits. Good people.

Cons

Little advancement if you aren't willing to move

School

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Smart people all over.
    - Good Compensation and benefits.
    - Tons of room to grow

Cons

- Leadership has changed to worse over the last 4 years.

Entire business modek in need of a makeover.

Former Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Bensenville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Bensenville, IL (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company offers good benefits to its employees. Different sectors seemed to mesh/integrate well for the most part as well. There were opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Human Resources department was sub par at best. Also there was a major lack of organization and consistency which more than often resulted in little productivity.

Revamp!

Over worked and under paid

Former Employee - Logistics Manager
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will definitely learn all aspects of the rental and logistics business at this company as you will be required to do many jobs due to the shortage of personnel.

Cons

No home life because you will constantly be working all the time. Even when you are at home the phone will constantly ring for your services.

Properly staff your service centers and ensure your employess are compensated accordingly when required to work long hours.

Consistent, Stable and Traditional.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere at the corporate headquarters is friendly and professional. The cafeteria is amazing, and there are other conveniences as well (gift shop, coffee bar, credit union, gym, dry cleaning and occasional 'fairs' with extras--like crafts, etc). It values those with a military background and you will do well if you have one, to help you navigate within the structure/hierarchy of the company. Work and life are fairly balanced, and there is an 'old tradition' feel to the way they don't expect work to happen during non-business hours.

Cons

The company values consistency--a byproduct of needing to report quarterly to shareholders. Don't expect dramatic shifts, new technology or excitement over significant innovation unless they have created a committee to vet the idea, presented the idea to a board and gained approval from multiple senior leaders. Change happens slowly, and often times it is behind that of the competitions. But, it does happen. There is a formal communication pipeline (hierarchy must be respected and it is more top to bottom than vice versa) so while management alerts employees about news, it feels more one-way and can cause employees to gossip because they don't have an outlet to discuss their concerns to higher ups.

Innovation comes from calculated risk. To stay competitive, sometimes evolution is necessary. Creating an open channel where employees can openly ask questions about goals, initiatives and news may be a good idea.

the best people I have ever worked with.ryder really cares about their people

Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II in Nash, TN (US)
    Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II in Nash, TN (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

their values are the driving force

Cons

no cons work is not easy open 24/7

more time off than you need, personal growth is up to you ryder will be right with you

Ryder System Photos