S&P Capital IQ

S&P Capital IQ Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

S&P Capital IQ President Lou Eccleston

Lou Eccleston

Pros:
  • "Competitive salary, Great work life balance, perks, less pressure"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Strong learning culture, friendly work environment"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has no interest in investing in employees and assisting in development"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No Learning- After 6 months your learning curve falls and get ready to do the same stuff for the rest of your life"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, environment to work and open to new opportunities

Risk Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than a year

ProsIn S&P Capital IQ you will find great people working in a great and flexible environment. In general, you will feel secure without unpleasant surprises! At the same time you will be given the opportunities to stand out.

ConsBonuses are lower than banking environments while promotions are generally subject to years of experience instead of performance and skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that the management should pay more attention to the most talented employees and reward them because there are a lot of talented people who are looking for new opportunities just because of modest recognition.

Good products - terrible management

Senior Director (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has some very good products and has made some good acquisition in the past that will help existing solutions develop further. The Capital IQ brand is still held in high regard with clients.

ConsThe management are all legacy S&P and so they bring with them the culture that was always the problem with that company - lack of vision, lack of care for staff, lack of ambition, lack of humanity., and worst of all they will back-stab clients at the drop of a hat. If you like kissing your superiors back-side then this is the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in the 80's and wizen up. Your staff are your most valuable asset so use them wisely. And stop nickel and dimming your clients and stabbing them in the back at every contract renewal/discussion - that's what's destroying your reputation in the market.

Great working environment

Risk Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent environment, salaries are normal (but less than in Investment Banking), mostly quantitative tasks, difficult to hire in a permanent position but rarely proceed to dismissal after that stage.

ConsSalaries around industry average, difficult to get approval for promotion (for an Intern), pension schemes and Insurance coverage less than in Investment Banking.

Highly motivated and intellectual colleagues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ as an intern for less than a year

Pros- high level of commitment towards work
- good interpersonal skills and very friendly yet professional work environment
- opportunities within and across the industry

Cons- initial salary packages are little low

boring company, boring product

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 3 years

Prosrelaxed atmosphere, nobody seems to work very hard
good people

Consthe place lacks energy.
the takeover by S&P has been unsettling. 2 very different cultures, products and sales approach coming together will always be challenging, but the S&P management does not make the best judgement on what should be done.
After 9 months, people still did not get their comp plan
too much politics in the office

Advice to Senior Managementgive people their comp plan sooner
work on improving your performance on each product line rather than try to run the business and integrate all the companies and products all at once.

Great experience, enjoy working in this environment

Risk Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ as an intern for less than a year

ProsOpen to new ideas
Graet environment
Space to develop yourself
Sustainable growth

ConsDifficult to get a permanent position unless there is an opening
No bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementMany talents are leaving the company because the HR and Finance department are not flexible enough to keep them in.

Standardized way of working

Product Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ full-time for less than a year

ProsA very friendly work atmosphere

ConsTraining sounds good but is in fact very poor. It all aims at becoming a robot. Absolutely no room for personal ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust individual talent and personality.

a positive one

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ

Prosthe culture of the people working here

Consthe relocation package and handling of such is poorly dealt with

Friendly on the face of it but not so nice if you get on the wrong side

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ

ProsThey are willing to promote people quickly, although this generally means that positions needing experience and qualifications are held by unqualified staff.

ConsThey love to talk about how scrappy they are, but the complete opposite is the truth - there's no energy or buzz in the office, it's like working in a retirement home which is bizarre considering most employees are in their twenties.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions, stop talking all the time and doing nothing.

Immature management. Capital IQ needs to grow up

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ

ProsVery good benefits package, courtesy of McGraw-Hill - employer's contribution to pension is very generous, healthcare, subsidised gym.
Decent offices.

ConsManagement run the company like some Jonestown cult. Unless you drink the Kool Aid, it's impossible to progress.
Favoured staff have jobs created for them for which they have no relevant experience or talent. The place is way-overstaffed.
Despite overt friendly atmosphere, when you scratch the surface you'll find that Capital IQ is a very nasty company. Colleagues spy on each other & report back to management if co-workers have taken too long lunch breaks (I'm not exagerating here).
Morale is extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementMcGraw-Hill Financial needs to step in & take control & inject some maturity into this place. Hopefully Peter Deboer can help Capital IQ grow up.

Worked for S&P Capital IQ? Contribute to the Community!

S&P Capital IQ Videos

S&P Capital IQ – Why Work for Us?

About S&P Capital IQ S&P Capital IQ is the powerful new combination of offerings previously provided by Capital IQ, elements of S&P including Global Credit Portal and MarketScope Advisor, enterprise solutions such as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at S&P Capital IQ reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for S&P Capital IQ CEO Lou Eccleston. All 182 reviews are posted anonymously by S&P Capital IQ employees.