SCC

Updated 29 January 2015
2.4

SCC Chief Executive James Rigby
James Rigby

Pros
  • pays mortgage can't think of anything else (in 3 reviews)

• Good people get recognised and do well (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No promotion, no career progression, no pay rises, no recognition of your worth as an employee, no prospects, no job security, poor management (in 17 reviews)

• No pay rise in 5 years despite moving to a more technical and responsible position (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I really do not get the negative reviews....

I have been working at SCC

Pros

SCC are a family business so there is an appreciation for individual style and contribution and a dynamic approach to decision-making and moving forward. There is no unnecessary bureaucracy and the staff are "can do" people. They are both friendly and helpful, which creates a positive and productive working environment.

Cons

The Birmingham location is a little tired in places though there are facilities programmes to upgrade these.

As a new starter I have been made to feel very welcome, and like the direction the company is going in

Current Employee - Learning and Development Advisor in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Advisor in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A successful and hardworking culture.
    Willing to invest time and effort in to doing things properly.
    A high number of staff are long serving (10+ years).
    Down to earth people, who are themselves in the workplace, but still work hard.
    Takes corporate social responsibility seriously.

Cons

Policies and premises could do with being modernised - however, this is being worked on.

Stay open to change, and the additional success that modernisation of the business can bring. Definately going in the right direction.

New Starter - 1 month in review

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SCC has an incredible scope of diverse people working across their sites, this all comes together during the induction session, where you quickly comprehend the vision and scope of where they are now and where SCC want to be going. Personally, my review is that the company what’s to committed to getting the SCC brand up there with the big players, and if your 'on-board', then you can contribute to this, and get that satisfaction that you can contribute.

Cons

Like any business challenging to significantly compete in the ‘Cloud’ market (my role is cloud focused), this journey is not an overnight accomplishment. On-boarding could be more structured (this is a wider issue, not just with SCC), but if you want to know an answer to a question, just ask… be motivated to make that effort, you can get answers pretty clearly and quickly.

I'm pretty new here, so it’s not logical at this stage to rationalise manager methodology yet

A rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Event Coordinator
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to learn about cutting edge technology which is really fascinating. There is a nice friendly atmosphere and people are generally happy to help you out, regardless of department. Charity dress down days and other communal activities are a nice perk, along with some rewarding employee benefits (restaurant and hotel discounts etc.). We often socialise outside of work too which I really like.

Cons

The inter-department communication is poor and that does mean delivering projects on time is made more difficult.

A better time-in-lieu policy would be appreciated and increased inter-department communication.

Positive so far

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My time here has been positive thus far. It seems like a lot of negative reviews have come from engineers or warehouse staff. I can only comment on my own experience here, and as a recent member of the team SCC does seem like a good company to work for.

There is opportunity for progression (even if it isn't a direct promotion) via training and courses. I guess it is more about seeing the opportunity in your job, rather than waiting for someone to give it to you.

Experiences with senior management have been very positive; CEO seems very friendly, in fact most sen. management do. Of course, there is the odd grumpy or rude manager/director etc. but you'll get there at any company.

Day to day work is good, and I fortunately work in a fun and positive team with very friendly people. As a whole, other staff/colleagues are friendly too.

Cons

-You do need to ask for extra opportunities etc. Don't wait to be given pay rise/training etc. Just go and get it.
    -Like with other big companies, things do move slowly.
    -Birmingham campuses are out-dated and a bit grim, but there is work to improve this.

Keep improving the staff experience. Happy staff = increased productivity.

Happy days

Current Employee - Software in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Software in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm really impressed with SCC. It's had a really good year and continues to grow and develop. With the company's growth and successes has come my own. I have been promoted and had a pay rise in 2014. This is how businesses should be when things are going well for them. The restructure has been very positive and ensured that the right people are in the right places, getting rid of the non-performers. SCC is highly recommended

Cons

Not many. The main office is tired looking and the employee benefits need adjusting, other than that Snr management are responsive to the change and you can see the improvement in how SCC now operates and performs. Leadership is much stronger than in past years due to changes in management from the restructure and new people. Overall, I am very happy

Company values could do with a refresh

I see they've forced people to write reviews as promised!!! DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!!!!!!!!

I worked at SCC

Pros

Honestly, absolutely non whatsoever, you get paid which of course is the bare minimum you might expect for actually doing your job but that really is it.

Cons

Too many to actually list... I'll name a few key ones:

First and foremost completely corrupt, illegal and without any scruples whatsoever. Lets start with the application form they ask you to complete... number of children? Age of children? Number of days off sick? How do they a. get away with this and b. do their dozy HR Department not change it before they get a lawsuit!! The very reason they have that form is the very reason it is illegal - because they actively reject anybody over a certain age, with any type of illness etc. The culture is poisonous, full of fear and run in a autocratic, Hitler type way. Strange, strange people.

Get rid of all of upper management who have been there since the company started trading and start again. New management team, up to date policies, new culture and a progressive environment. The people you have running the show are outdated and wouldn't get a job anywhere else - they are quite frankly ridiculous. Train, invest and respect your employees then maybe you wouldn't have recruitment costs through the roof and laughable staff retention rates.

Please speak to someone before you join

Former Employee - Change Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Change Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at SCC

Pros

There isn't any. Really isn't. Staff at non management level really good. You will build extremely strong bonds with them. It's a bit like survival of fittest and you need a few team mates to get you through each day

Cons

Staff turnaround is about 70-80% if that don't get your alarm bells ringing. I'm not sure what will.
    If you work within DCS then you will realise how unethical the company is. Senior management with conflict of intrest, for example, two key areas of business has the same director. I'll let you all read between lines there.
    The treatment of staff is the worst I seen anywhere by far. They preach company policy when suits them, then bully, victimise staff to manage them out of company. The ones I seen could easily have a case against company but because they been bullied into fearing the company they make no noise and leave. There really isn't nothing good to say unless you have a decent line manager like me who taught me a hell of a lot things. But there are probally less than 1% of people like this within the company. So you maybe better off doing the lottery. The service desk are managed by all women, and it really is diva style management.
    Seriously advise people who may of got the fake promises from HR, do not touch company. Really don't. Those who have no choice, join, do the bare minimum. Going above and beyond remit and performing gets you no further than doing bare min.
    Please consider speaking to an ex employee before joining, plenty of them will offer you the right advise prior to joining, just search for them on LinkedIn.

Get rid of the current senior management ruining good staffs life's for personally bonuses. Value your staff, treat them as humans and not slaves.
    and understand if you give your staff poor tools, don't expect excellent results. Look at the turn over of staff and senior management. Senior management hasn't changed but staff have and things still don't work. Root cause of issues is the management not the the staff

Worst company I have ever had the pleasure to work for . Lied to in interview about job. Mafia Like workplace

Former Employee - Team Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at SCC (less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people work there.
    Salary is ok . To be honest finding positives is difficult

Cons

Old fashioned prejudice and racist. No concern for staff or wellbeing .Out dated management style .

Promise customers the world but do not deliver and do not care

Mafia management culture with bullying .

HR are truly dreadful and are very as managemt.

This is 2015 not 1912 in a saw mill.

I really do not get the positive reviews......

I have been working at SCC full-time

Pros

The management are all a 'can do' and 'will do' and 'must do' management which is good till you realise you have not been provided with the tools to complete the job in question safely and quickly.

Cons

Scc are a family run business, but it ends there. They could not care if you missed your wife's funeral at all, they'd question why do you need to go to the funeral. Honestly . The company keeps stepping backwards time and time again. Most unfriendly management I have ever worked with.