SCC Reviews

111 reviews filtered by
3.1
SCC Chief Executive James Rigby
James Rigby

Pros
  • Good people get recognised and do well (in 4 reviews)

• Some lower level management is ok and the general staff are great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No promotion, no career progression, no pay rises, no recognition of your worth as an employee, no prospects, no job security, poor management (in 17 reviews)

• No pay rise in 5 years despite moving to a more technical and responsible position (in 9 reviews)

Great company, excellent staff and a nice environment to work in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great and friendly employees to work with.
    - Everyone treated equally regardless of position (junior/senior)
    - Company works with charity partners for fundraising on a national scale.
    - Lunch is an hour long and can be taken whenever between 12:00-14:00
    - Great place to gain corporate skills.

Cons

-Computers could do with an upgrade.

Apr 15, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time at SCC.

Please contact IT support via your line manager if the kit supplied is not performing well enough - they will be

Head of Major Incident Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Willing to place you on course, if your request

Cons

The company is quick unique in the management style and do not develop staff

Apr 23, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

As you state in the Pros section of your review, SCC does offer training to each of its employees via our Learning & Development function.

Regular Performance

first 12 months at SCC complete

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Genuine internal movement opportunites.
    I moved internally to another department at SCC after 9 months in an administritive role.
    There are always opportunities available

Cons

Currently cons is non applicable

Advice to Management

Upper management are extremely approachable and obviously hand picked which I have found isn't always the case at multi national private companies.
    SCC's support to local causes and Charities is also supported by the Management.

Feb 09, 2015SCC

Technical Consultant - Professional Services

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Due to the companies strong reputation the customer profile and opportunities are all enterprise level offering the chance to work with some of the latest technology products and vendors to deliver complex and challenging solutions. This results in a rewarding and varied career with the added benefit of working alongside some of the industries top technical professionals in their respective sector.

Cons

Engagements can be geographically diverse due to the ever expanding customer base, so there are inevitable travel requirements and this can also involve extended periods of time spent away from home.

Mar 20, 2015SCC

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - we appreciate your feedback

Working for SCC

Current Employee - Senior Manager Within Sales in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Within Sales in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC

Pros

I have been with SCC for over 25 years as have many of my counterparts and many of the staff working for me also have 10, 15 and 20 years tenure. If your personal ethos is to work hard, be totally committed to a company and the customers you serve and have the highest levels of integrity then SCC is a great place to build a career. Additionally apart from the first role I was employed to do with SCC every subsequent role has been created for me as part of a significant career path progression. I am proud that many of the staff I have employed over the years have in turn become senior managers within SCC and of those that have left they have succeeded in their new companies.

Cons

SCC has been termed a marmite business to work for. If you want to work hard and be accountable then that's the culture within SCC if not you don't like marmite.

Feb 09, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

Good company to work for.. Crazy policies though regarding hiring ex-employees

I worked at SCC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to enhance your existing skills or learn new skills then SCC is really good.. I enjoyed my time there and made some brilliant friends who will always be good friends to me!

Took it in turns to help one another in our team and reaped the benefits specially when the 7 of us worked full month nights every single night (inc Weekends) to get projects done when needed.

Cons

They don't like taking back ex-employees even if they did a sterling job the first time around and went that extra yard. Find that very strange indeed as surely you would want the best employees working for you even 10/15 years on from when last worked for them.

Advice to Management

Not letting people back in who was good ex-employees for whatever reason please could management answer my question regarding this?

Apr 06, 2015SCC

Thank you very much for your review. There is indeed no such policy that exists around rehiring. We have a number of current employees in their second and third stints with the business - and we are ... More

Been with SCC for 10 years and still going

Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been with SCC for over 10 years. Staff friendly and management approachable.
    Open to change which has been more observable within the last couple of years with the investment within the company. If you want to get on the opportunities are there especially with the renewed focus on people development.

Cons

Premises in Birmingham are tired but things are changing.

Advice to Management

Stay open to change and continue the investment in the people development strategy,

Mar 20, 2015SCC

Fantastic Place to Build a Career

Current Employee - Report Writer in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Report Writer in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Built on a culture of mutual respect, SCC has been a fantastic place to work. I have been encouraged to work my own way, and have been given any resources and support needed in order to perform to the best of my ability.
    As much as I enjoy my job itself, the people are what make working for SCC so fantastic. It's not just management that are supportive, but peers too. We often collaborate to drive results and I have never found myself in a situation where no support was available to me.
    It is definitely an environment where you succeed based on your own merits, so if you are willing to learn and work hard, this is definitely the place for you.

Cons

The car park gets very busy.

Feb 05, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

There are plans in place to improve the car parking facilities at our Birmingham campus.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at SCC

Pros

Learn how not to do things the right way. Small number of genuine nice people.

Cons

Theres quite a lot of negative reviews on here and I'm afraid my opinion is no different. On boarding process needs to be looked at, I spent my first two weeks watching someone show me how not to do my job. When finally my equipment arrived, it was of a very poor warn standard.
    The morale within operation centre is probally at its all time low, most of the better staff with initiatives are currently seeking exit plans or already left! The senior management within this area use Unprofessional dictatorship styles to mange their staff. The staff turnaround rate for the operation center must be quite high. Anyone seen not to agree with new initiative or processes, who have valid reasons to disagree are seen as trouble makers. Time and time again, I've seen employees been treated unfairly, unreasonable expectations set, and eventually manged out the company unjustified. Scare monger tactics from management which is backed by HR allows SCC to do this.
    Opportunity also is hard to come by, you can be a top performer, glowing references off your customers, achieve all your KPI's and objectives but it seems SCC don't reward staff on merit. If you look at the current senior management, quite a few of them have been awarded senior roles without any kind of interview process.
    The building is in a very poor condition and also the area located in Birmingham has a extremely high crime rate. In my time there was a female colleague who was sexually assaulted on her way back to her car (some of the car park is not on private land). Also a car jacking accross the road at head quaters.
    And finally I must mention the inadequate head counts in each department and quality of staff left is affecting their ability to meet contractual agreements and obligations. Sla stats can be modified and alot of the time was to avoid financial penalties meaning a lot of the reporting the customer and I received was inaccurate.

Advice to Management

Please start conducting exit interviews. Understand why all the better staff are leaving. Reward on merit. Review current management structure and hire external company to come speak to existing staff with no come backs on how you can improve you organisation. You will be surprise of how many good staff you don't reconise. You need to start making SCC a employer of choice not employer of hell.

Apr 15, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

The good news is that we are currently reviewing the induction process - both corporate and local.

Being such a large business with many differing job roles, the
    ... More

FIVE STAR BAD SERVICE !!!! -- SCC continuously FAIL as a business !!!!

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Reading, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros? Professionals at scare mongering and running business the WRONG way.. YOU CANNOT READ THE BAD REVIEWS? SIMPLY REGISTER WITH GLASSDOOR AND SCROLL DOWN A FEW PAGES, THE TRUTH IS MASKED BY 5 STAR REVIEWS. Always read BOTH sides of the story. Negatives always outweigh positives in terms of reality, facts.

Cons

SCC continuously fail as a computer/audio visual company, they use scare mongering, mental torturing and bullying to get their own way. Stats and figures come 2nd in their priority list, number 1 priority is to try and bully some poor soul each and every day. For example, i knew a engineer that always managed to get calls where they are working next to rat droppings and even decomposed rats not to mention asbestos. When that engineer complained about it and refused to work on these sites SCC management attacked this engineer like there was no tomorrow as if he was a criminal. They made his life very difficult and always gave him the dirty jobs purposely. Engineers are told they must be accurate with the way they conduct themselves from start of shift till end, that rule of course applies up until a SLA is about to be lost... Then the goal posts can be moved and 'accurate stats' become 'fabricated stats'. For example, engineers attend calls on managers orders to attend a site WITHOUT logging themselves on the system as attending site.. they assess for argument sake a PC and order a part. When the part comes they then book themselves onsite on managers orders so that it looks like a scc engineers fixed the fault first time. Another example is the MANUAL CLOSURES and MANUAL CALL EDITING by management when a call will be attended by an engineer outside of SLA, that engineer will be told by manager NOT to book himself onsite and to just repair or assess the issue off the record. Of course SCC management will then manually edit the arrival times and departure times to close the call within SLA. This is a company wide known fact. Furthermore SCC engineers also are forced to attend calls where they are not trained nor capable of doing, such as servers. 22 year old ex trainee carpenters find themselves forced into server calls without any server qualifications let alone basic IT skills. Not only putting themselves at risk but the customer and potentially 100s of the customers employees. This is high high risk business from SCC which has done and will continue to backfire on them. I have not listed a FRACTION of the way SCC operate and conduct themselves. If you want a job where you will be effectively committing fraud which closing calls inside SLA when they wasn't with big figures(money) at stake IS FRAUD. The major customers that this effects is the big red and the big blue high street betting shops and the black clothing stores..etc.

Advice to Management

I advise management to have a chat with the CEO, advise him you are not qualified for this role and you would like to go back to your engineer job or do something else you will be good at. Ask the CEO to employ qualified managers capable of handling the company the correct way, because if you cared about SCC you would do the right thing and help them out. SCC would flourish under respectable qualified managers that operate in a genuine, honest and upfront manner.