SCC

Be The First To
Add Photos

SCC Chief Executive James Rigby

James Rigby

A sales driven organisation that doesn't like to pay sales men

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people at branch level who are all driven and self-motivated! They need to be with the ridiculously weak Branch management

ConsFilled with "Yes men" at middle management level, senior level is insular and incestuous. A handful of salesman are given deals and then lauded as heroes, the remainder have commission with-held and have to be VERY grateful when they do get paid! The "teacher's pet" mentality means there are a few mediocre kiss-ass individuals that are awarded and promoted, the rest slog their guts out until they are driven to leave!

Was glad to leave. The owners were motivated by "what is in it for me".

Technical Support (Former Employee)
Manchester, England

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery few. I was employed on a managed service contract so fortunately didn't have to visit the Birmingham HQ.

ConsNo promotion, no career progression, no pay rises, no recognition of your worth as an employee, no prospects, no job security, poor management. I was there for 8 years and spent most of that time looking for another job, but working for SCC and not having any training at all goes against you. Despite learning in my own time and carrying out tasks of somebody well above my pay grade was never recognised. An interim or probationary role can last for 5 years with SCC. Pay rises were always at least 1 percent below inflation and was frozen for the last 3 years with the company (despite the company making record profits during those 3 years). The owner actually bought Coventry airport and a chain of hotels during this time and the family employees always received great dividends.

I was actually told by my immediate manager once that I was lucky to have a job. That Victorian attitude was permeated throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value and reward your staff you will get a lot more from them. Running a company purely for your own gains is all well and good but doesn't make staff work harder.

Just don't

I have been working at SCC full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are no pro's. No prospects, no pay rises, no training, terrible no nothing managers, the list is endless.

ConsAs per above. Do not work for this amateurish company. You will not be happy. No prospects. No pay rises. No appreciation. Very poor salary, £18000 is considered high.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an idea of what you are managing before trying. The worst managers I have ever worked for and I've had a few!

Great people to work with, very satisfied!

Intern (Former Employee)
Birmingham, England

I worked at SCC as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexibility, opportunity to learn and develop

Consjust that working hours might be long at times

WORK FOR PEANUTS TO RECEIVE ABUSE AND THREATS (similar to a dictatorship or the mafia)

Engineer (Former Employee)
Ealing, England

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI was given a SCC branded pen when i joined the company many years ago, but when the ink ran out they did not replace it for another pen. I had to use the customers pens in the bookies.

ConsManagement tell you to your face that this company is not a good company to work for, they tell you that your better off looking for another job with better pay because there is no pay rises with this company, despite a huge growth and profits in the last 4 years. My manager told me we all need to join a union to force a pay rise out of them as thats the only possible way.

The young and ambitious engineers do not last long, 2 years maximum or mainly a lot less. There is a lot of OAP engineers who are using SCC as a retirement home.... still on there 19k when they started 16 years ago. Yes 19k 54 years old and working on servers....ouch. A huge kick in the goolies considering the qualification they have done not to mention college, university and everything else to become 'A PROFESSIONAL COMPUTER ENGINEER'.

SCC have it written in a contract with a customer that they have to have 'technical couriers' who drive around a van with tv's and other parts to hand to engineers and help with 2 or 3 man jobs. SCC employes these technical couriers but on there first day or within 2 weeks they are asked to complete technical engineer calls on there own. Eventually they will do engineering calls on there own everyday and promised they will become engineers. They are on 14k. SCC win the contracts and then look for the cheapest options to make maximum profit for themselves, at the same time destroying customers sites and doing an incredibly poor job.

Before i left SCC we was told if we cannot complete jobs that we need to call our team leader who is not technical, so that he can advise on how we can fix the problem. On one occasion i was told to shove a piece of paper in a network port to hold the cable in place and close the call (the network port was damaged). Complete monkey comedy. On another occasion i was told to buy a switch from pcworld to complete a job within SLA which the switch would of cost over £100 i promptly refused. Another time i was told to buy a plug and fuse from B&Q to fix a faulty plug on a CRT tv (yes we did not do I.T jobs mostly AV), we was not trained to do electrician jobs. Another time we was given hacksaws to cut padlocks off of TV's that are holding them onto the brackets, the hacksaw was the cheapest they could find and couldnt cut into the padlock. We was not given protective gloves or eye protection or training. There has been no training to protect us from the electrician, lock smiths, TV specialist jobs that we was doing. Then they want to give us TV bracket installation training.

I joined the company as a IT field support engineer. I was doing everything other than computer related calls, i am sure the next contract they win would of been window cleaning job or litter picking job or maybe a leaf blower in a travelodge car park.

Complete and utter shambles of management who are fighting to save their job, some come into work early and leave late with no extra pay just to show they are committed. They expect engineers to complete work in there own time and start work early without extra pay too.

SCC engineers and other staff need to stand your ground, know what your rights are and show your not a push over. Do not allow them to fool you into living your life on the edge scared you may get an illegal counselling form or disciplinary for breathing. Do not allow them to use the line 'theres no other jobs out there' or 'your lucky you have a job'. SCC engineers are better than this.

SCC should change their name to STHMJOATOAWOSS = SPECIALIST TV HANDYMAN MUG JACK OF ALL TRADE ON A WAGE OF A SHELF STACKER (dot com)

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as your making a wage, nothing matters right?

Professional Crooks

Field Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at SCC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNo Pros simple criminal organization who is willing to make money out of people`s misery (sounds like mafia to me).

ConsCons simple PLENTY SCC likes to use stats to beat engineers with so we have 25 reviews only one gives 5 stars hmmm that's 0.04% against 99.96% tells you a lot (LOL it reminds me of the 100% first time fixes). With out repeating the 24 reviews I share and echo everything has been said this company is the worst example of how to run a business. Just to remind people HR get paid by SCC, so don't expect them to be nice to you unless you are willing to pay them more. Ah one more thing the management asked me to spy on follow engineers so be careful of the old engineers they know they cant find another job so they just spy on engineers to keep their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to hill crooks you are heartless, irresponsible and corrupt bunch criminals

Lasted 1 month

Engineer (Former Employee)
Oxford, England

I worked at SCC full-time for less than a year

ProsI tried to think but honestly I could not come up with anything.... I did try.

ConsSo I have worked for scc for a month before leaving. Firstly I want to say I was given false promises and mislead from the word go. I was employed and promised I would take care of a specific area, however I found myself from the beginning going to birmingham and wales to do calls. The managers are a bunch of morons havnt got a single clue what rhey are doing. They fool you into thinking you will cover a certain area yet always dragged a million miles away then they complain when sla's are running out and ask you to let the call centre in romania close the call... no doubt for their own gain. Yet I was told I must utilise my handheld brick pda at all times... very funny comedy show and I am glad I am out.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo hopers.... good luck though.

Overall a good experience, though let down at the end by company politics. Good technical people

Solution Architect (Former Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at SCC as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe technical teams are excellent, with a good mix of skills and levels of expertise

ConsNot enough made of people's strengths, with not enough focus on training or staff retention

Ticking time bomb

Engineer (Current Employee)
Nottingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time for more than a year

ProsCannot think of anything good or positive.

ConsWhen i joined SCC i thought i joined the biggest IT company in europe. I thought everything looked professional and during the whole interview process it all seemed legit, professional and super friendly managers. Everything was fantastic throughout my probation period, as soon as my probation period had been completed (6 months) it all changed for the worst.

It seems as an employee who just got a new job your aim is to hold on to this job through your probation period, but it seems SCC are the ones holding on to you! This may sound like a good thing but it is not. SCC purposely hold on to you, give you false hopes, false promises and lie because it becomes clear you are not doing just 1 role. you are doing many roles on the cheap:

Computer engineer (5%)
AV TV fitter (50%)
Locksmith (5%)
Rat exterminator (5%)
Carpenter (5%)
Handyman (5%)
Collection and drop off courier (20%)
Cleaner (5%)

Your wage stays the same, when speaking to a few old 55 to 60 year old engineers they have been on 18k to 20k since they started. I have been with SCC for 2 years and i have seen so many other engineers come and go. SCC fail to keep hold of engineers after the probation period. Many engineers have taken SCC to court and won. Team leaders have taken them to court and won. Current employees including team leaders are going through court proceedings against SCC. This is crazy and shows exactly how SCC treat you if a manager is taking them to court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without a question of a doubt, the worst experience of my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementPass your role on to a professional, educated, competent managers and watch the company blossom into what it should be a good company.

SCC is a company you want to avoid working for it is the worst company I have ever worked for in my entire career

Distribution Field Engineer (Current Employee)
Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at SCC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf I Could give minus million stars I would. No pros what so ever. This management is ruthless and don't care about welfare of engineers. If you don't like it they are always pointing at the door.

ConsSCC uses modern day slavery, they employee people who don't have any experience pay them very low wages and take advantage of their inexperience and never give them any pay rise they just get rid of them and get new one and keep doing the same again and again. SCC management get their store men to do engineers jobs, giving them false promises that they will make them engineers whilst they are on minimum wage to do technical jobs which they are not trained for or qualified to do SCC willing to send anyone to any job, on many occasions I was sent to customers site without training, instruction or support, they cheat customers by manually adjusting SLAs and pressure engineers into lying to customers and order parts which they are not needed, no pay rises no bonuses no training, only bullying and intimidation, management are only interested in their own gains at the expense of engineers welfare and careers, when I started with SCC my skills were excellent and I thought I will be adding more skills, but I discovered my skills went downhill I had to buy my own materials to keep up to date with technology and educate myself. The endless false promises. low pay flat rate overtime if any, company makes over 100% profit, poor internal training no support no rewards no praises stick stick stick only. Worst HR department they are only interested in covering up management even with factual evidence provided. Management give no sympathy, even in family death they would not give an engineer time off to attend his mother in law funeral reason she is not immediate family. They want me to work for free before my contracted hours and after I would if I was trained and rewarded, Safety locator (PDA Tracker) is used to punish us, it is not used for safety as HR mentioned, not to mention this illegal counselling forms which they keep giving us if we sneeze, driving long distances without breaks if you stop for a break then the safety locator kicks in and another counselling form is issued to me. I have been looking for a new job for a while, when I mention I work for SCC the agencies laugh at me and say SCC is the worst company they have come across they have high turnover of staff, I feel trapped in SCC, at the beginning of my employment I worked very hard thinking I will be getting training and rewards I was sucked into false promises before I knew it 2- 3years has gone past, I am educating myself so I can move to another better company, I was employed as IT engineer I suddenly found myself going round picking up dirty CRT TVs and working in companies where you will find dead rats and rat droppings on AV equipment and doing jobs which has nothing to do with IT many engineers share what I am going through but the problem they are all worried about their jobs they are also trapped. SCC has a simple business model which is to pay staff very little and gets rich and richer. They treat everyone with contempt, if I complained they always say you are the only one complaining when I know for a fact everyone has exactly the same problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost excellent engineers because of your mismanagement, most of you are ex-engineers not even qualified to be managers, be ashamed of yourselves and have respect for engineers. You don't know anything about management and maybe rubbish engineers in the past, have some respect for us we are not idiots you are a disgrace.

Worked for SCC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SCC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SCC CEO James Rigby. All 32 reviews are posted anonymously by SCC employees.