SGS

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros:
  • "Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great place to learn about the industry and gain experience to add to your resume"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Traditional Management, less scope of growth, Low Pay, Retainership, Unorganised work, No training and Development initiatives"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good job

Sales (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at SGS part-time for less than a year

Prosthe ambience is good and the people are quite nice. The management takes care of interns and i learnt a lot during this internship.

ConsSometimes there isnt work enough so you can get bored and some managers can be sometimes annoying but st=ill a good job

Very high staff turnover due to unfair treatment and poor management

I worked at SGS full-time

ProsOverall, the team members were very friendly and supportive of each other. Good location of the office in a close proximity to the main shopping center.

ConsMissold jobs, loss of opportunities for the employees. No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview. Highly educated people are getting hired with a promise of training and development, however get thrown 'at a deep end' from day one, and refused any sort of external training. In addition, the quality of internal training is very poor. The only focus is on the actual revenue. Employees are bullied by managers, and are regarded as 'disposable'. As a result of this, the team morale is very low. People are simply unhappy, and given the right opportunity would leave SGS at any time....

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease investigate closely the management style at SGS Ealing office. It is ironic that a company that specialises in social compliance does not treat their own employees fairly.

The worst company I have ever worked for...

Due Diligence Global (Former Employee)

I worked at SGS full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary but that is about all :-(

ConsThe company culture is awful. They treat staff really badly. Do not work there!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think of your staff as human beings. A system for staff to feedback would be useful.

Great company with strong growth ahead!

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Geismar, LA (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs stated, this is a great company to be with. There is plenty of growth ahead...locally and abroad. Pretty good work/life balance and the salary is good compared to the competition. If you're able to prove you're competent and capable (and patient), you'll move your way up in this company because the opportunity is there.

ConsThere are quite a few 'good ol boy' managers in place. These people were clearly promoted due to length of service instead of ability. Promotions should be given to those who are capable of doing the job regardless of tenure or age.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to retain the right workforce, you need to promote those who are capable of doing the best job, not those who have been with the company the longest

Could be better and even bigger...

I worked at SGS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGlobal structure, worldwide matrix organization, in case of proper management support, you can find your way to go ahead and to be promoted. Best in class! Support of good ideas. (If!) Diversified portfolio, omnipresence in each industry. Many professional people all around. Lot of available resource globally. Excellent high level corporate concepts, strategies and values.

ConsAt a certain manager level too many politicians. Old style ones are chasing short term targets on anyway (i.e: current budget, mainly in terms of LC) They are going to keep their chairs for few years, especially before retirement and as a consequence they do not take a risk to invest in the future growth. They are blocking to broadcast many good ideas to the upper level management. Immediate re-organisation even for interim business drop. Lack of synergies between business lines. Very slow decision making! (From initial ideas till approval/refusal). The structure is not well prepared to integrate the new concepts, business styles, ideas, but they broadcast permanently: think out of box! You can be the best up to a certain level for many years, but above it you can be evaluated on different way by loosing your achievements and recognitions from the past within a minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementBroadcast and implement the global business and HR strategies down to the execution level and keep motivation of people all around. Reduction of middle management as has been done cca 1 decade ago. Get rid of staff, who is living for internal bureaucracy only, when they should have a customer relation in their own position. Better and more direct top management control on mid level managers and better listening directly to the voice of staff involved in execution. Future talents are here!

I made a career of it.

Anchorage, AK (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time

ProsPeople, freedom to learn, part of a winning team. The company does alot to make people feel like they belong to a team. They take everyone to the state fair, the whole lab goes to a rented out theater for a movie and pizza once a year, etc. We really come together as a team. You must be a team player to have fun and do a good work.

ConsWork can be challenging during the busy season.

Loader

Loader (Current Employee)
Baytown, TX (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time for less than a year

ProsI would say I like how flexible they are with other things you have going on in your life. It is a very easy job, the hardest part about the job is dealing with the weather.

ConsThe biggest challenge about working at this job is getting paid more. At this job you basically get paid $17 for the same work that operators do and make $25 a hour at most places.

Dock Operators no chance to move up in the company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at SGS

ProsThe job its self it not bad its pretty easy. good group of guy to work with. Get to work outside.

ConsThe pay is low you have to put in 20 hrs of ot a week to get a good pay check which is easy to get if your short on staff. The pay is pretty much 17 you get a dollar rasie every yr for 3yrs then your max out unless you get a shift lead spot good luck on getting that.The 410k is the only good benefit all the others the deductibleis is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more chances to move up in the company maybe be doing this you will keep them for longer periods. Instead of training them and they go into the refinery so they can make more money for the same job.

Not a good place to work

Senior Metallurgist (Former Employee)
Lakefield, ON (Canada)

I worked at SGS full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work ethics and emphasis on safety.

ConsThe company with least respect for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle management lacks vision and have no respect for the employees

Low morale, long hours

Anchorage, AK (US)

I worked at SGS full-time

ProsWork hours can be flexible as long as you meet deadlines. Lots of overtime available if you want it.

ConsOffice culture is rife with gossip and favoritism. General employee opinion of the job is negative, which can lead to a poor working atmosphere. Management does little to improve morale, instead reacting with hostility whenever negative opinions or attitudes are displayed. Management will accept any short deadline project for money regardless of existing workload and staffing. Poor work/life balance in the summer, where the workload can force you to almost live at work. Consistent good performers taken for granted, average performers who occasionally step up showered with praise, and poor performers ignored as long as someone else picks up the slack. Very little opportunity for advancement.

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SGS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SGS CEO Christopher (Chris) Kirk. All 127 reviews are posted anonymously by SGS employees.