SGS

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros
  • I now speak and work with other affiliates around the world (in 4 reviews)

• Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonuses are only for upper management level, PTO is vacation only (in 6 reviews)

• No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job

Sales (Current Employee) London, England

Prosthe ambience is good and the people are quite nice. The management takes care of interns and i learnt a lot during this internship.

ConsSometimes there isnt work enough so you can get bored and some managers can be sometimes annoying but st=ill a good job

Very high staff turnover due to unfair treatment and poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsOverall, the team members were very friendly and supportive of each other. Good location of the office in a close proximity to the main shopping center.

ConsMissold jobs, loss of opportunities for the employees. No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview. Highly educated people are getting hired with a promise of training and development, however get thrown 'at a deep end' from day one, and refused any sort of external training. In addition, the quality of internal training is very poor. The only focus is on the actual revenue. Employees are bullied by managers, and are regarded as 'disposable'. As a result of this, the team morale is very low. People are simply unhappy, and given the right opportunity would leave SGS at any time....

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease investigate closely the management style at SGS Ealing office. It is ironic that a company that specialises in social compliance does not treat their own employees fairly.

The worst company I have ever worked for...

Due Diligence Global (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood salary but that is about all :-(

ConsThe company culture is awful. They treat staff really badly. Do not work there!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think of your staff as human beings. A system for staff to feedback would be useful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SGS is a Great Company to Work For

Vice President of Business Development (Current Employee)

ProsGlobal opportunities - rewards employees who take initiative. I now speak and work with other affiliates around the world.

ConsLearning to adjust on how a big company makes decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep interviewing and hiring technical staff

Not what I expected at all

Key Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent compensation overall, good bonus (if it was humanly possible to hit the target), good direct manager, good technical direction from mothership

ConsUpper management out of touch with reality, lack of compliance from affiliates and overseas managers, over promising and under delivering, lack of technological resources, lots of manual reporting due to sad technology within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees. Sometimes the customer is crazy and not always right. Listen to the situation and help them. Don't leave them out in the cold to defend themselves. Push internally for more technology to be competitive with other labs. Your lack of engagement is embarrassing.

Wide exposure to diverse business, but fragmented structure

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsStrong suite of services for oil & gas, industrial and consumer segments. Lots to learn about market demands of various territories, given worldwide scope of service delivery.

ConsOne of the most decentralized and fragmented corporate culture I've ever seen. That means decisions take a long time, if at all, especially for scope outside the norm. An autonomous decision making structure at employee level would benefit such circumstances, but SGS is quite risk adverse and prefer to manage top-down.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the gray area between various business and territorial management. Else loads of resources will waste in shooting shifting internal goalposts.

They tell you how to succeed! Who does that?

Support Staff (Current Employee)

ProsWe are encouraged to connect with our peers across the company. I have been introduced to folks in several countries and can't wait to visit or transfer. Looking at the company as a whole, I believe in the same ideals. We do important stuff around the world. I feel good about what we do and I want others to know too.

ConsA few people are afraid to tell management how to fix things. People ask me, "What is SGS?", everyday. No one knows who we are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people closest to the issue to fix it. Be creative on rewarding their input. Sometimes it's not about money. Sometimes people just want more control over their world, and trust you to have their back. Could we get more out to the USA about SGS. I want people to know we are bigger than IBM and been around since forever. Billboards, tv commercials like BASF. Black and orange, black and organge, everywhere please.

lab assistant

Lab Assistant (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Pros-excellent safety training before work
    -good laboratory environment

Cons-relatively low salary compared with the same position

Good

Quality Manager (Former Employee) Fairfield, NJ (US)

ProsRelaxed environment, good culture and very nice system

ConsSilo mentality. People next cube had no idea who you are and what you do

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave things to the experts

Honest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot working there anymore. The amount of experience.

ConsManagement only listens to men. If you come in early and leave late daily you get written up for coming in late and leaving early. If you take the hour lunch that you are given you get written up for taking excessive lunches. You get scrutinized for following SOPs methods especially when it comes to calibration and verifying equipment. You get called sexist names behind your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the sexist pigs, stop taking clients/co-workers to strip clubs.

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!