SGS

Updated 23 January 2015
Updated 23 January 2015
2.6

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros
  • training opportunities are good and allow to build your work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management communicates to employees in a way that puts employees on the defensive (in 7 reviews)

• Poor work/life balance in the summer, where the workload can force you to almost live at work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at SGS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the ambience is good and the people are quite nice. The management takes care of interns and i learnt a lot during this internship.

Cons

Sometimes there isnt work enough so you can get bored and some managers can be sometimes annoying but st=ill a good job

Don't work here!

Current Employee - Inspector in London, England
    Current Employee - Inspector in London, England

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros...... not much work to do, if you like being bored out of your mind.

Cons

I don't know where to start... The whole place is a joke, which really is a massive shame because the potential is there- and it must have been OK at one point for SGS to get so big. In my time, all I have seen is that SGS employees AND managers are lazy and incompetent. They do the absolute bare minimum required to maintain the status "leader" in the Industry. The environment across SGS is unfriendly (to put it politely). Everyone is out for their own division and won't help you out- even if it means increasing their own profits. The pay is next to nothing, there are no benefits. Why am I still here? Well I'm trying to turn it around!

Employ some staff who actually care about their job and are passionate about the success of their department! Pay them better salaries, give them incentives, integrate the divisions... But more importantly, keep an eye on the managers because they in turn aren't keeping an eye on their staff and the staff are running riot.

Awful. Training non existent.

Former Employee - Temp
    Former Employee - Temp

I worked at SGS as a contractor

Pros

Friendly staff, but that was it,

Cons

Was a temp. They were so short staffed I did not have an actual trainer who could have sat with me to make sure I was getting things done correctly. Instead I was shown by other members of staff how to do something once, and then left to get on with it. Consequently made tons of serious errors. Manager took no part in any of it, and frequently was very unhelpful, expecting me to answer the phone and deal with people she did not want to deal with when I was trying to get my head around something I was struggling with. Left after 3 weeks.

Very high staff turnover due to unfair treatment and poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at SGS full-time

Pros

Overall, the team members were very friendly and supportive of each other. Good location of the office in a close proximity to the main shopping center.

Cons

Missold jobs, loss of opportunities for the employees. No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview. Highly educated people are getting hired with a promise of training and development, however get thrown 'at a deep end' from day one, and refused any sort of external training. In addition, the quality of internal training is very poor. The only focus is on the actual revenue. Employees are bullied by managers, and are regarded as 'disposable'. As a result of this, the team morale is very low. People are simply unhappy, and given the right opportunity would leave SGS at any time....

Please investigate closely the management style at SGS Ealing office. It is ironic that a company that specialises in social compliance does not treat their own employees fairly.

The worst company I have ever worked for...

Former Employee - Due Diligence Global in London, England
    Former Employee - Due Diligence Global in London, England

I worked at SGS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary but that is about all :-(

Cons

The company culture is awful. They treat staff really badly. Do not work there!

Try to think of your staff as human beings. A system for staff to feedback would be useful.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at SGS

Pros

Great colleagues, meaningful work, and good benefits. I have the tools and support I need to get my work done well. I've enjoyed working here and will miss it.

Cons

My position is being eliminated and I will miss the work I do, the partners I collaborate with. No real complaints to share.

Continue to value your employees as your greatest asset and promoter of the business.

Field Supervisor

Current Employee - Field Supervisor in Deer Park, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Field Supervisor in Deer Park, TX (US)

I have been working at SGS

Pros

Plenty of internal advancement opportunity

Cons

Very overworked at times, the company hiring process is slow.

Be proactive instead of reactive

Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time

Pros

Opportunity for personal advancement, movement within the company, and overall growth
    Benefits are offered: 401k, insurance package, bonus at management and sales levels, overtime for non-exempt
    Site and Upper management are invested in success of site
    Quality systems, personnel, client services/support, facility, and product (testing/data) are of excellent quality.
    Vast exposure to Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, Personal Care, and Cosmetics industries.
    Team-based, cooperative/collaborative culture.

Cons

Work/Life balance is to be expected for contract testing
    Fast pace and deadlines are constant (to be expected for contract testing)

Continue trend of continual improvement in terms of recognition/salary/benefits, collaboration, transparency, resource management, business strategy, and quality.

Neither here nor there.

Former Employee - Chemical Loader in Plaquemine, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Chemical Loader in Plaquemine, LA (US)

I worked at SGS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent 401k program the company matches dollar for dollar up to 5%. Good place to start but quickly get experience on move on.

Cons

Management is operated on the good ole boy system. Lots off favoritism as subordinates often hang out with the upper management. No room for advancement there is a raise a 1 year of approximately $1.00 than another 2 years of approximately $1.00 then you top out.

There needs to be some policing of the way company policy and procedure is performed, especially between management and the workers.

Technical/Quality heat in consumer testing service laboratory

Former Employee - Technical Head/Quality Head in Tiruppūr (India)
    Former Employee - Technical Head/Quality Head in Tiruppūr (India)

I worked at SGS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Freedom
    Positive Environment
    Responsibility
    Independency
    Clear roles and responsibility
    Innovations
    Sustainability/Social responsibility
    Clear management structure

Cons

Management objective and uniformity all over the world should more precisely uniform!
    In simple form the appraisal and evaluation have laps and uniformity of approach and perfection of evaluation must be.....
    All lead to slow increase of revenue and slow talent recognition

Hope management know well ! Its internal