SGS Reviews

Updated 13 April 2015
199 reviews filtered by
2.6
Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros
  • training opportunities are good and allow to build your work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management communicates to employees in a way that puts employees on the defensive (in 7 reviews)

• Poor work/life balance in the summer, where the workload can force you to almost live at work (in 4 reviews)

1. Good job

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at SGS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the ambience is good and the people are quite nice. The management takes care of interns and i learnt a lot during this internship.

Cons

Sometimes there isnt work enough so you can get bored and some managers can be sometimes annoying but st=ill a good job

2. Don't work here!

Current Employee - Inspector in London, England
    Current Employee - Inspector in London, England

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros...... not much work to do, if you like being bored out of your mind.

Cons

I don't know where to start... The whole place is a joke, which really is a massive shame because the potential is there- and it must have been OK at one point for SGS to get so big. In my time, all I have seen is that SGS employees AND managers are lazy and incompetent. They do the absolute bare minimum required to maintain the status "leader" in the Industry. The environment across SGS is unfriendly (to put it politely). Everyone is out for their own division and won't help you out- even if it means increasing their own profits. The pay is next to nothing, there are no benefits. Why am I still here? Well I'm trying to turn it around!

Advice to Management

Employ some staff who actually care about their job and are passionate about the success of their department! Pay them better salaries, give them incentives, integrate the divisions... But more importantly, keep an eye on the managers because they in turn aren't keeping an eye on their staff and the staff are running riot.

3. Awful. Training non existent.

Former Contractor - Temp
    Former Contractor - Temp

I worked at SGS as a contractor

Pros

Friendly staff, but that was it,

Cons

Was a temp. They were so short staffed I did not have an actual trainer who could have sat with me to make sure I was getting things done correctly. Instead I was shown by other members of staff how to do something once, and then left to get on with it. Consequently made tons of serious errors. Manager took no part in any of it, and frequently was very unhelpful, expecting me to answer the phone and deal with people she did not want to deal with when I was trying to get my head around something I was struggling with. Left after 3 weeks.

5. Very high staff turnover due to unfair treatment and poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at SGS full-time

Pros

Overall, the team members were very friendly and supportive of each other. Good location of the office in a close proximity to the main shopping center.

Cons

Missold jobs, loss of opportunities for the employees. No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview. Highly educated people are getting hired with a promise of training and development, however get thrown 'at a deep end' from day one, and refused any sort of external training. In addition, the quality of internal training is very poor. The only focus is on the actual revenue. Employees are bullied by managers, and are regarded as 'disposable'. As a result of this, the team morale is very low. People are simply unhappy, and given the right opportunity would leave SGS at any time....

Advice to Management

Please investigate closely the management style at SGS Ealing office. It is ironic that a company that specialises in social compliance does not treat their own employees fairly.

6. The worst company I have ever worked for...

Former Employee - Due Diligence Global in London, England
    Former Employee - Due Diligence Global in London, England

I worked at SGS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary but that is about all :-(

Cons

The company culture is awful. They treat staff really badly. Do not work there!

Advice to Management

Try to think of your staff as human beings. A system for staff to feedback would be useful.

7. Could be a good company except there is no direction. SGS keeps changing their business strategy every 2-3 years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carteret, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carteret, NJ (US)

I worked at SGS

Pros

International. Very diversified and everyone knows of them.

Cons

Too much management and staff turnover. They keep changing business strategy which confuses the staff and customers.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced and proven management. Stick to a plan.

8. Auto off lease inspector

Current Employee - Automotive Inspector
    Current Employee - Automotive Inspector

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can not think of any off hand

Cons

Poor employee treatment, poor management, poor pay. They treat their employees like they are all stupid and not truely needed. In fact we were told as such at one time. Poor sales and management direction. Employees are under appreciated and not valued. I have been here for over 15 years. At one time it was run really well and we were treated pretty well, but have not seen that since 2011. They pay you hourly and 40 hours is a rareity, so you are treated like a contractor, and too bad if you didnt make 40 hours. I certainly would not recomend this job to anyone that has to make a fair living or raise a family. Un fortunately I am stuck here due to age restrictions

Advice to Management

Start treating your Employees with respect, not like trash. Hire experienced and conciences automotive minded people as inspectors. Better communications, and much better sales force needed.

9. Great at first....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK (US)

I worked at SGS

Pros

Flexible schedule. Overtime. Learning experience. Great for a summer job (June-September).

Cons

Long hours, low pay. Management does not communicate well. Drives people through intimidation and greed. Office favoritism and very little chance at advancement. Very poor culture of caring and little positive feedback.

Advice to Management

Learn to lead by example. If you want to keep people long-term, treat them with respect and compensate fairly.

10. Great

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at SGS

Pros

Nothing much. All good thing. Great place to work

Cons

Great. Nothing much to complan...

Advice to Management

focus on PM tools. bla... bla...

Big International Company

I have been working at SGS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

offices around the world..if you like to travel, good place to start.

Cons

none that I can really think of

SGS Photos