SHI International

SHI International Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee

Thai Lee

Pros:
  • "It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Every place has some cons, but overall this is a great place to work with a great vibe"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic company to work for

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSHI cares about their employees. Also is always creating new and innovative ways to do business.

ConsSo many new changes in the past few years that it's become hard to keep track of who does what.

SHI is a great stepping stone for kids right out of college who want to learn sales.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, lots of young people and fun enviornment

ConsA lot of changes and moving of managment.

Sink or Swim

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

ProsLearn a ton about technology and all the different services that are available to companies. Ability to earn a love of money.

ConsMarket saturation. Lack of clear direction from managers due to rapid growth and ever-changing goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and less micro-management

Junior Sales role

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility and earning potential and the opportunity to develop a roster of clients in a local market. Long leash, and the autonomy to succeed. Transparent quotas, and the ability to be setup for long term success.

ConsMarket is saturated, and there is loads of rep turnover. Go to market strategy is simplistic, and does not resonate with customers. Too much emphasis on metrics versus actual selling. Very young and green leadership team, with not a lot of selling experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership team is inexperienced and does not have enough direct sales experience.

Cube Farm Work Horse

Inside Account Manager (Current Employee)
Somerset, NJ (US)

I have been working at SHI International full-time for less than a year

ProsGood job right out of college - dont expect much else
Various vendor events
Some managers are fantastic like mine. They care about you and want to help - but are shut down by higher management when they make suggestions to make things better

ConsIts a cube farm. Sit at your desk, place orders, deal with crap from customers/vendors, dont talk to anyone. Yes you have vendor events, you get free stuff and food but its all perks for a crap job. Its work work work with no bonus. We dont get paid enough for what we do. It could be a blizzard outside - horrible conditions ex. Hurricane Sandy - and they still expect you to come in and take away PTO days if you do not. I am currently applying to other jobs to leave this place. They dont care about you. Youre just a number. High turn over.

Good for right out of school for "experience" then leave - I dont know how some people stay here this long

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees. A ping pong table will not make up for the fact that you take away our PTO for horrible weather conditions. We dont get paid enough to kill ourselves and come into work.

Great if you're a longtime employee, not so much for new ones

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou'll certainly get a great overview of the IT industry, as well as the opportunity to make plenty of industry contacts. Learn what you can (which is a lot) and take that experience to your next job.

ConsIf you began working for SHI between 1996 and 2002, congratulations. You're part of the elite that was promoted to management and apparently can do no wrong. (To be fair, some of the managers meeting this criteria are very good at what they do, but others ... eek.) if you came afterwards, you're guaranteed to do a lot of the work and to get little thanks in terms of compensation or advancement. It's a very political environment - employees don't call it "SHI High" for nothing - and who you know is way more important than your quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the company like its 1998. You say you're making all the right moves but look closely - middle management all works for their own agenda, and not cooperatively. And some managers need to start delegating more work to the people who actually report to them (who are pretty good at what they do!) rather than trying to do everything themselves so they get all the credit.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good opportunity for a beginning IT sales career, but not much else

Corporate Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at SHI International full-time

ProsGreat place to start an IT sales career, sort of like IT Boot Camp. Gives you a great opportunity to learn a little bit about a lot of different products and technologies.

ConsStacked-ranking approach to sales management coupled with countless reports and metrics to hit make doing your job successfully impossible, even when hitting sales numbers. There is little time in the day left to actually 'sell' after getting the required administrative tasks completed. Favoritism among management creates animosity on sales teams and can lead to embarrassment at events when reps are singled out as stars and others are ignored. No real value proposition to present to customers due to identical business model as numerous competitors, aside from Minority-Owned Status.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the amount of administrative tasks you put upon your field sales reps, play fair, provide support, and think about your value prop market by market. What works in one state may not be the approach needed in others.

Fast Growing Company

I have been working at SHI International

Prosfast growing company with solid value system

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to achieve

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company to gain experience

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

ProsI've been here going on 3 years and it's been great. The company is growing so there are opportunities for growth within the company. Every place has some cons, but overall this is a great place to work with a great vibe.

Opportunities to learn, managers who want to help you advance, amazing culture, and (mostly) awesome co-workers

ConsLow pay, really my only issue

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees (if they are good at what they do) more to have qualified teams to support the business.

Need to Review Growth Plan & Management Accountability

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SHI International

Pros-Young, vivacious, but professional environment

Cons-Management brought in from competitors has skewed company's growth plan & vision
-Disparity of how management is held accountable for their actions
-Very stiff consequences for minor offences committed by some individuals and no consequences for larger ones committed by others

Advice to Senior ManagementFor upper management specifically, review the standards to which you hold your managers on the team level (inside & field). Set precedent to what is acceptable/unacceptable behavior and hold all to the same consequences.

Also note, hiring more heads doesn't always equate to more profit.

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!

SHI International Videos

SHI International – Why Work for Us?

Careers at SHI In addition to a competitive salary and high-quality benefits package, SHI offers an exciting, fun and supportive environment that was recently recognized by our employees as one of the best places to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SHI International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SHI International CEO Thai Lee. All 79 reviews are posted anonymously by SHI International employees.