SSE

Alistair Phillips-Davies

Executive

Current Employee - Executive in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Executive in Reading, England

I have been working at SSE part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great culture

Cons

Nothing to mention on this

N/A

Retail Transformation Programme don't know how to deliver projects!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havant, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havant, England

I have been working at SSE as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

An canteen on-site, permanent staff in general don't work long hours, management try to create an environment of caring for staff.

Cons

Projects fails in big numbers, are painful to deliver due to the approach taken and management, software and power plants seems to follower the same delivery approach, a very old fashion waterfall model. Good sound principles shown on posters aren't reflected in practice, like project principles. No attempt to improve project delivery approach, just about getting on with it.

Wake-up the world is changing and there are better ways of delivering projects. Start to listen to people, not talking to them, you may learn what things don't work. Stop feeding next level up just what they want to hear. Why hire people with brains if you don't want to listen to them?

proud to be better ! bullying in the workplace,nepotism, and the chaos caused by middle management.

Current Employee - Meter Fixer in London, England
    Current Employee - Meter Fixer in London, England

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

regular pay ,sharesave scheme. teamwork.

Cons

getting your work completed within the given time frame given due to lack of staff, as you are expected to do their share of the work as well as your own. It"s no wonder staff are leaving as they are so overworked. DONT expect your manager to come out of his nice warm office!!.

Senior management need to talk to their field staff personally,rather than listening to what they are told by middle management. As stated I have witnessed bullying by team managers to some members of staff resulting in staff leaving.NEPOTISM is rife within this company ,family members of the management seem to get preferential treatment, {sitting in the office doing nothing on a cold day} So dont expect to further your career on hard work and merit.

Very poor

Current Employee - Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, very green company profile

Cons

Very unorganized, bad management, bad structure

Metering operative

Current Employee - Meter Fixer
    Current Employee - Meter Fixer

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 2 shares schemes, discounted energy, plus many more staff only benefits

Cons

Performance related pay, no overtime pay just toil

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leading the industry in safety and only energy company in the UK to not off shore it's staff or services.
    You'll certainly make friends.

Cons

The company vision of "family" does not translate into the experience for staff. They wish to lead the industry in all areas for employees, however lack innovation or even common sense in a lot of areas.

Spend some time with your front line/sub-ordinates as what you think they do day-to-day is very different from what they actually do.

Not for me

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Havant, England
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Havant, England

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can earn a good salary if you get lucky. The people are good to work with, often very helpful. The offices are usually very good with modern facilities.

Cons

Getting things done is difficult; there's a lot of red tape. Very bureaucratic company. Hugely disorganised in parts. Won't spend time/money/effort to do a job well and sustainably.

Employee the right people to do the right job.

Good work life balance, can be better by good governence.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Havant, England
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Havant, England

I worked at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Yearly salary increments and flexible approach to taking leaves. Safety culture is good, company prouds itself on being good at customer service which is good.

Cons

Very less social gathering and outings. Real hard to break out of norm and try to do things differently. Days weeks and years pass by doing same repetative stuff if you are not carefull and you may age on the same chair.

Provide groth opportiunities to employees.

A continuing adventure

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a family away from home, everyone is close knit and go through the good and bad times together. Always supporting each other and being their brother's keeper. Amazing benefits, a joy to work for.

Cons

Definitely need management training especially within the call centre where I started out, seems like nothing has changed. Very young managers each with their own rules which means the rules are not consistent throughout the company. This needs to change and I believe more training will benefit the long term goal and vision of the company that SSE strive for.

Benefits are great, training needs to improve a short term cost but a long term benefit. This should be invested in. There needs to be consistency within the company. I have worked here for 5 years and the same problems arise regarding management.

life changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I get to go to work knowing i'm always progressing forward, always learning and always growing. I work with a great bunch of lads that look after me and are always there if I need any help. In my view there's no problems with getting time off as long as I let them know in advance. generally everyone has been extremely friendly to me.

Cons

It can take a while for things to get done in terms of getting the information your needing or equipment things like that. right now things are a little sporadic as we're a bit short of team members.

Consider improving the speed we get notified of important information.

SSE Photos

Scottish & Southern Energy Depot, Malwood (Photo thanks to Geograph user Peter Facey, Some Rights Reserved)
Offices of Scottish Southern Energy, Vastern Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger Templeman, Some Rights Reserved)
Scottish & Southern Slough Power Station (Photo thanks to Geograph user Chris Allen, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo