SSE

SSE Reviews

Updated Jul 05, 2014

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies

Alistair Phillips-Davies

Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears

Billing Account Manager (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England

ProsMy colleagues make every day enjoyable, and we all enjoy getting things done as a team, and making sure our customers get the best possible service.

ConsThe software we have to use is not always up to the job, and the management need to relax, and allow the experienced staff to use their own judgement whenever possible. Communication is key and making sure the staff have the necessary tools to perform at the required standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the loyalty and experience of your staff to your advantage, instead of encouraging them to leave (VER) and replacing them with young, eager but less experienced staff, who don't necessarily have the best interests of the company at heart.

Work hard and you can go far

Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) Havant, England

ProsGreat working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

ConsToo many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Advice to Senior ManagementContractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

I loved working for SSE

BR Resolver (Former Employee) Basingstoke, England

Prosfriendly staff that worked together in teams & some management are there to listen to you whether it be work issues or , the variation of different positions within the company kept the boredom at bay

Consmanagers are too young .. they may know their jobs but does not have any people skills, being a long term employer i encountered family illness issues & SSE did not support me, SSE pledge to look after their staff .

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your staff & make them feel that they are valuable as there were very few that did this to me

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SSE gets the 5 STAR work review from me!

Assurance (Current Employee) Cumbernauld, Scotland

ProsI love the passion and work ethic of the individuals who work for the business and the fantastic support that you receive to develop your skills and prepare for the next step up.

ConsEmployee discount for Gas and Electric is still more expensive for me to go with SSE :(

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, they are the HEART of the business :)

Excellent company to work for, fallen into a career.

Project Support (Current Employee) Portsmouth, South East England, England

ProsFantastic opportunities for progression, once becoming an employee there are unlimited benefits an intensives to perform.

ConsAs with many companies this size it is very difficult to prove yourself, and to be given bigger challenges and opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has already started to offer improvement courses to it employees, this is a great scheme, which I think could be built on, making these opportunities possible for more people who are dedicated to the company

"Passionate, the will to succeed in a challenging environment"

Team Manager (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England

ProsProgression, team work ....colleagues are from all different walks of life with all different levels of experiences which makes it the more interesting.

ConsI feel I am an exceptional manager with many different attributes which will help the progression of the Business unit I work in , however I feel I have been let down with career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in your teams and managers to lead and display a passion for 5* customer service and after care and deliver sustainable and efficient performance for our tomorrow which in turn will help our growth and retention.

sse is a great place to work , with great benefits with friendly staff and management

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England

Prosgreat packages, going to work is like being with family as co-workers are lovely and always willing to support each other,

Consjob roles and working hours change way too regularly , once you think your settled things change so you cant get comfortable, targets that are set are achievable but at very high standards which sometimes are hard to reach

Advice to Senior Managementbe more understanding , listen to your employees and consider their needs as well as the business, think emergency leave needs to be based on the individual and time needed for holiday to be accepted could be reduced

SSE FOR THREE YEARS.

Linesman (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsGood money especially £44.50 digs more if on an island

Cons"Celtic ,Rangers" mentality shamefully prevails in 2014 :(

Advice to Senior ManagementSaftey should mean keeping your men safe not complying in order to cover yourselves.

If your face fits you'll go far.

Complaints and Compliance Manager (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsStable company with various locations across the UK. They are the leader in green energy and have great ethics etc when looking after the environment.

ConsVery hard to make your way up the ladder if you are not in the "in crowd". Despite 8 years service and a vast knowledge of the firm and industry, SSE often promoted friend of existing managers or family members over those of us with high level experience.

One of the best jobs I've had

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) Perth, Scotland

ProsTraning, your team, friendly managers, great pay, easy hours.

Consget changed departments and teams quite a bit

Worked for SSE? Contribute to the Community!