STAR Education
www.starinc.org Culver City, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

STAR Education Reviews

Updated Apr 04, 2014

Katya Bozzi

Great mission, not so great upper management

I have been working at STAR Education full-time

ProsThe company spans most of southern California, so it makes a huge impact. The programs are well thought out, and the children are the main priority. Unique and passionate instructors and lessons, and its clear that everyone here is good at, and cares about their job.

ConsEmployees are under-compensated, and under-stimulated, and often stressed out. Upper-management seems paranoid.

Really care about the Kids but serious mismanagement of company and poor compensation.

I have been working at STAR Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people that you work with on a regular basis are extraordinary. Very flexible schedule and the company is All About the Kids.

ConsThe upper management of this company is atrocious and is driving it into the ground. The CEO pays her two children for doing negligible work and distracting current employees. Many days they don't come in, when they do you wish they didn't. "No longer offering raises to any employees". There is very little room for upward movement in the company and once attained is extremely stressful. The accounting department has a couple bright spots but overall is overbearing and incompetent at their jobs. The people that run the company really have no idea how many of the employees feel about the environment or the amount of work that people actually do on a daily basis. Most people feel under appreciated and overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to completely change upper management and restructure power scheme within the company. CEO and family need to go.

Star education is an a nonprofit ran like a dictatorship

Teach/Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at STAR Education part-time for more than 10 years

Proshelping children and a part time schedule

ConsDo not receive raises and there isn't any real upward mobility. The CEO and CFO are every insulting when talking to staff. Not to mention the classroom management trainer is very rude and treats us all like children. The CFO and CEO want more and more from staff without any incentive. While the CEO's son and daughter make $100,000 and year and they barely doanything. Most people leave with in the 1st 2 years of work because of the unfair practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to treat your staff with respect and give raises.

Disorganized and inefficient

I have been working at STAR Education full-time

ProsGreat people at this organization. Many people who are willing to sacrifice their time/energy to the enrichment of students. Lots of great students and kids, making the job bearable.

ConsDisorganized, poorly managed, nepotism, does not reward employees, low pay, poor accounting practices, no room for advancement. The list of cons continues, but turnover is a great indicator of employee satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house! Company needs a new Accounting Department, and to put the emphasis back on the students. Hire professionals who understand the product / service they're selling. Put egos aside to address actual student concerns.

Wonderful and enriching work, inconsistent leadership

I worked at STAR Education as an intern

ProsEnriching work and work environment, great programs that reach a lot of kids especially in under served communities, great staff, fun work

ConsInconsistent leadership and unorganized events

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan events farther in advance to save money and be more organized, cause less stress

STAR is all about the kids!

Administration (Current Employee)
Culver City, CA (US)

I have been working at STAR Education part-time for more than a year

ProsSTAR has been nothing but supportive to me since the moment they hired me. My first impression was WOW - the employees here are amazing! Everyone is so friendly, the departments are so innovative, and my co-workers are all brilliant. It is inspiring to learn from all of the people that have worked with STAR 20+ years (talk about an impressive retention rate!)

It's important to understand that everything STAR does is for the kids. With that said, STAR's priority is to hire the best staff; if a staff member does exemplify behavior that will ensure a safe, enriching, and educational environment for the kids, he or she will not be asked to work beyond his or her 90 day probationary period. Staffing is always dependent on what is BEST for the KIDS. Parents are extremely appreciative of this diligence and have given STAR 5 stars on Yelp!

The family that began STAR and continues to run the organization has made many sacrifices to make sure all employees have stable jobs and great health insurance. Very few jobs in the non-profit world can provide health insurance right now, and even less are giving out raises. All STAR administrators are working extremely hard behind the scenes to make constant improvements for everyone.

Just like at any non-profit, all administrators (office staff, site directors, and department heads) are asked in their job description that they be part of our fundraising efforts. Fundraising and marketing are a team effort that is very rewarding. Part-time STAR teachers are not asked to fundraise, but they are encouraged by their Site Directors to volunteer at some of STAR's really fun community events. Volunteering at community events is a fun way to bond with staff and kids outside of the school environment.

Management is very encouraging and makes sure every single employee feels like they are an important part of the "STAR family". STAR employees come from all backgrounds which make it a very diverse and interesting place to work. People on Glassdoor complain about cake (who complains about cake?!) when in reality the Executive Director pays for this personally because she believes in celebrating those who work hard and share her passion to give the kids what they deserve! Cake Wednesdays are a favorite for many among the staff.

All in all, STAR has been an amazing, supportive, and uplifting work environment and I hope the handful of UNTRUE negative reviews on here don't skew anyone's opinion of such a wonderful place. The STAR program is so fantastic and has changed lives for many - just ask our kids, parents, schools and communities!

ConsThe office can sometimes be loud and bustling. There are always new supplies coming in and going out to the schools, and often times there are trainings happening for new programs. Most STAR employees thrive in this fast and fun environment. But, if you like things very quiet and slow then this office is not for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back Cake Wednesdays! :)

Questionable management ethics but well-meaning co-workers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at STAR Education full-time for more than a year

ProsMost people doing the day-to-day work are very nice and hard-working people. Everyone is doing their best to improve the lives of children through after school education. They have some cool programs for kids. Most employees are kind and great co-workers. There can be some flexibility with work hours within reason.

ConsUnfortunately, this company is run more like a fraternity or sorority house and the top management (which is really just one person) bases many decisions on emotion and what feels like a strange popularity contest with the employees. Basically if you're in, you're in. But if you are not liked or you do or say anything that threatens the establishment, you're fair game for ridicule or justifiable firing. I've heard well-meaning, hard-working employees scolded like children in the open office environment. It is unprofessional, unfair and can create a "walking on eggshells" office environment.

This management style leads to unfairness across the board and little accountability at any level. STAR is run by a mother and her two grown children. They are the kind of people who would rather buy you lunch or a birthday cake than actually give you a raise or genuine praise for a job well done. Anyone who questions the integrity of the company or suggests a better way to do things is either labeled a trouble-maker and demonized or simply gotten rid of and then bad-mouthed once they are gone. It can be a toxic environment.

The company is technically a non-profit and management is always complaining in large group meetings that they are broke. But there are no real steps taken to change or improve the situation. The financial stress is placed back on the employees (as an explanation why no one gets raises) while management over-commits resources. There is health insurance for full-time employees but no retirement benefits of any kind. The majority of employees are not full time and treated as somewhat expendable. They are constantly interviewing for new people.

The parking situation has already been mentioned and is truly atrocious. Some employees have to walk several blocks to find parking just to attend weekly mandatory meetings. But management has reserved parking spaces so they never really address it as the true problem it is. Many of the best people end up leaving for a more professional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more professional management practices and adopt a conflict of interest policy that is also followed. Develop better transparency as a non-profit organization. Stop using guilt to motivate employees into unpaid volunteerism.

Best Education Non Profit in LA

Department Head (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at STAR Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking for STAR and with STAR is a real treat. Their programs help improve the lives of children all over Los Angeles. The office atmosphere is very laid back and everyone is very friendly. All of the employees are helpful and engaging! I have learned tons about managing people and organizing events working for STAR.

ConsThe parking at the offices is very limited and you must own a car to work for them as the schools are all over Los Angeles.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease buy more parking space!

I feel like I am contributing to something bigger than me, and helping to make other people's lives better.

Culver City, CA (US)

I have been working at STAR Education full-time for more than a year

ProsEvery day is a new challenge. I invite the variety problem solving skills necessary to preform my job. I have learned a lot about myself, and what I am capable of because I work with a dedicated and diverse team of people who are willing to hold each other accountable, and tow the line.

ConsSometimes life is stressful, but it is always rewarding. However, the incentives for employees to stick around for the long term are not very enticing. There is a high turn over rate among the instructors that work for STAR, but not everyone is committed to education and being an youth mentor.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpectations are difficult to fill when you don't have the tools necessary to complete the task.

A classic game of Ball and Shells.

I worked at STAR Education full-time

ProsPeople are very cool here. Always smiles on everyone's faces.

ConsSince when must teachers double up as salesmen? Teachers should be relieved of the stresses of "making a sale" and focus more on the child. Teachers are pressured to sell/fill their seats and are ridiculed if quotas aren't met.

Interesting fact to discover: How many people where hired from Craigslist? And how many of those people were hired based on their qualifications rather than Star's NEED to fill a spot.

More often than not, the teachers are disinterested and unqualified. Do they even have a HS education? Very bad organization within the company.

Much of this company is played like a game of Ball and Shell without the scary alley venue. A lot of things are move around quickly and secretly to meet state requirements for funding, licensing etc..

Required volunteer time? You hire someone and then require them to donate a certain number of hours to volunteer for your company so you can fill your pockets and dilute the little pay you give employees?

Advice to Senior ManagementCash out...the ship is sinking.

Worked for STAR Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STAR Education reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for STAR Education CEO Katya Bozzi. All 14 reviews are posted anonymously by STAR Education employees.