STERIS

STERIS Reviews

Updated 26 November 2014
Updated 26 November 2014
3.1

STERIS President & CEO Walter M. Rosebrough, Jr.
Walter M. Rosebrough, Jr.

Pros
  • STERIS offers a competitive paycheck, great benefits and a convenient/safe location (in 7 reviews)

• then you might get a company vehicle, phone, 407 etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat organization, little room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay results in employees with little to no experience/competence (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good entry-level IT position

Current Employee - Service Desk Tech
    Current Employee - Service Desk Tech

I have been working at STERIS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great department management: Immediate bosses are very supportive and concerned about improving processes
    -Lots of departments to advance to if you are interested in improving your skill set or picking up new specializations
    -Great benefits: decent amount of paid time off, cheap medical and dental plans (for 24-year old healthy male)

Cons

-Lack of flexibility in work schedule, have had to cancel paid time and have very little weekday free time
    -Lack of communication between IT teams means multiple app/ project launches can occur simultaneously and so support staff get overwhelmed at times
    -Not enough front-line staff to handle workload if someone is on vacation or out

Solid company

I have been working at STERIS

Pros

Good people. Making smart acquisitions to serve customers better. Well positioned based on changes occurring in the markets the company operates in.

Cons

Opportunity to be more creative and personal in marketing the company. Powerful brand that we currently don't take full advantage of.

A strong company culture during times of acquisition, integration makes a big difference. Keep things fresh to get the most out of your talent.

Sr. Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mentor, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mentor, OH (US)

I have been working at STERIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work environment. Average perks.

Cons

Compensation below market. Average benefits.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at STERIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work and fantastic products. Leadership usually appears to be I'm touch with what is needed for new products being introduced in the market place. Company values are fantastic "do the right thing". Customers are always first.
    Benefits and compensation are very competitive if not superior.

Cons

They have very un-realistic sales goals. They have managers that are not managers but drones who don't have a spine or can't stand up to Managment and tell them what is needed or sales goals that are out of whack. Compensation is fine and competitive and benefits are great.

Stop getting rid of your experienced sales rep when they get to the age of 50. A guy or gal spends there LIFE away from their family on projects, traveling and bringing in a tremendous amount or business for the company only to be let go when the reach the golden age because there was not a big project in their area to carry them through. You have let go some real talent. Some have been lucky enough to go find Job with your competition. You sit in your big offices looking at your spread sheets and cutting some real good folks just because your managers don't have the balls to stand up and say NO! Certainly if your looking for a good job you can put your life into and then plan on retiring there KEEP looking because they will cut your job and hire a fresh out of college dude they can hire for less.

Very good company

I worked at STERIS as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay a lot of attention to culture fit in their hiring - there's a lot of really nice people there, with a notable absence of "jerks"

Cons

They're heavily regulated (FDA, OFCCP) so things can move slow at times and a lot of your day to day is governed by a lot of reporting and waiting for permission.

You could do more to build a more embraceable company culture - it's a given that the foundation of the culture is sterilizing the world, but bring more human personalities into the mix.

If you want to kill your IT career and led off by 2016

Former Employee - IT Department in Mentor, MO (US)
    Former Employee - IT Department in Mentor, MO (US)

I worked at STERIS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NO work in IT but good money for northeast Ohio

Cons

Everything every every old , year 2000 technology, anything broke take 2 days to fix , very slow and total messy IT process and management , IT team extremely negative with new technology due to lots of old IT work force.

for IT management , Before everything fall a part take care the IT or business leadership will outsource whole IT , its inevitable.

Great products, good opportunities

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)

I worked at STERIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Name brand recognition, good manufacturing practices, good technical support great field service.

Cons

Sales goals are quite often unrealistic based on market trends and economic upheavals.

Set sales goals more realistically by using forecasts provided by the field reps and verify facts by checking with customers.

Cheap incompetent greedy beats panhandling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagedale, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pagedale, MO (US)

I worked at STERIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Better than a Russian Gulag during good old Joe Stalin's day. As an added bonus the plant is located in a very interesting neighborhood where you can have a front row seat to Friday night gun fights.There are some great hourly and salaried employees there. The company itself has a major problem training, motivating or advancing employees.

Cons

Poor pay, 3rd world benefits, plenty of dangerous chemicals and poorly maintained equipment. if the Three Stooges bought a great company from Bristol Meyers and did their best to destroy it you would have an idea of what the St. Louis / Pagedale location is like.

If you are fifty years or older forget about raises or advancements. Get ready for an early "retirement". Chances are you will soon be unemployed. I got out and found an excellent employer. Sadly most of my contemporaries were not as lucky.

Sell your stock before it is too late. The people in charge of managing daily operations are way over their heads.

Not a bad place to begin....

Current Employee - QS/RC Tech
    Current Employee - QS/RC Tech

I have been working at STERIS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can say that I absolutely love my co-workers and the job is pretty decent when it comes to PTO,etc. For this to be my first job in my field straight out of college I wasn't expecting a glorious salary. However, I know that the skills that I can gain here will be beneficial when it comes to me entering the job market again somewhere down the line.

Cons

I would've loved to reach 40k starting but that's not the case here. Unfortunately many of my co-workers are jumping on the first flight out of this place to places where there is less of a salary cap.

I love my direct manager! She really works hard in your regard to get things done. Upper management should be a little more organized when it comes to training procedures for new employees. Mine was a little all over the place.

STERIS is a great place to work if you like working by yourself but within a team

Former Employee - Field Service Representative II
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative II

I worked at STERIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, make your own weekly and monthly schedule. work out of your home, pay is really good. good vacation time. form relationships with your customers and attend there needs and meet all kinds of interesting people

Cons

the balance between work and family is off. lots of overtime due to manpower shortages. long lead time to getting someone new hired.

not everything in work life is or can be measured by metrics. nice guide line but should not be the be all end all