STMicroelectronics

STMicroelectronics Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

STMicroelectronics President and CEO Carlo Bozotti

Carlo Bozotti

Pros
  • Very good work life/balance - Good team spirit in general(in 70 reviews)

• good working environment in few groups for self-motivated people(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Few career opportunities, low salary compared to Italy's average for graduates(in 12 reviews)

• Conservative decision making after taken long time to arrive de-risk(in 10 reviews)

A company with stable market but less career opportunities

DSP Systems Design Engineer (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsJob security is good in general; you can have a good work-life balance; not too much pressure and you can enjoy the flexible work environment.

ConsThe challenge is normally you cannot find challenge easily here; in general it's difficult to find passion in your work, so I won't recommend it to young people with ambitions and energy.

ST offered good career evolution. I'm happy not to be part of it anymore as company culture has deteriorated strongly.

IT Engineer (Former Employee) Geneva (Switzerland)

ProsInternational company: career evolution, compensation and benefits, good working conditions on some sites. Used to be a friendly company and atmosphere.

ConsNot anymore a market leading company, reacting to the market conditions with lay-offs.
    Failed to innovate.
    No HR strategy, no trainings, not taking care of human resources anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency. Change top manager who failed in their missions.

Suitable for average looking to retire

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Greater Noida (India)

Prosaverage work pressure
    freedom of style

ConsHigh skilled people victimized by friendly atmosphere nurtures employee to retire

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for those who perform
    Stop protecting all
    reward performance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to retire,but worst for growth

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Noida (India)

Pros1.Balance life,less work pressure
    2.Subsidised meals,
    3.Mentally relax company

Cons1.Salary not upto semicon market.
    2.Very low percent hike
    3.Quality of work is pathetic.Not good company for a fresher to start with
    4.Attrition rate is too high.

Advice to Senior Management1.Bring the salary to industry level.
    2.Try to hire young people instead of older people.
    3.Try to bring quality work

excellent learning environment

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Delhi (India)

Prosexcellent learning environment
    ample opportunities to explore new things
    highly encouraging managers

Conssalary differentiation on performance
    pay for performance is very poor
    career growth in terms of salary is very poor

Advice to Senior Managementimprove the cons

Good people but slow promotion cycle

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Burlington, MA (US)

ProsPeople, diversity, benefits, mobility potential, European roots, travel, pension plan, good 401k matching, work life balance, cross functional tasks,

ConsSlow to promote, minimal stock allowances, lower pay than competitors, salary increase just matches inflation, constant cost-cutting programs, not investing enough in US as French and Italian employees cannot be layer off.

STMicroelectronics - Stagnating Company

Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) Greater Noida (India)

ProsWork content is good but not cutting edge. Good Job Security. Work Life balance.

ConsManagement is really out-dated and out of touch of the present day market. STM continues to bleed of Money and good manpower which is leaving the company in droves. What remains is the dead wood.

Working on older technologies and innovation in products is abysmal.

Sweet talk and toeing the line of your manager is needed for you to survive.

Salary hikes are a pittance and salary structure gets revised to paint a rosy picture of your package!

Greater Noida Office is at a distant location which is quite far from the city. Hence commute gets really tough. You cannot live nearby since nearby localities have multiple issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to weed out the unproductive employees rather than letting go of the good ones.

Brainstorming on the future road-map and products are a must in case STM has to remain competitive. the competitors have far more mature products and technologies than STM.

I never understood how they can be in the Global Top 5 (back then). Not a good company

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Agrate Brianza (Italy)

ProsWhen I joined the job seemed like an interesting job. However, soon it turned out that the group where I worked had hardly sales. I didn't find real pros. Probably I didn't see the good sides, because they must be there. But not in Italy.

ConsIn Italy it depends on the network you have. Skills are not the only thing that counts. One symptom was that in Agrate very few job openings were posted on the internal website (all organized in the network) , whereas in Grenoble often many jobs were posted. The sites are comparable in size. People / management doesn't keep promises and not the right people are in the right position. Colleagues were also not willing to share a lot of info with other colleagues in an order to 'be important'. For example, software was not commented so that others would not understand. I had a few employers, but ST was by far the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is better to have someone work then to have someone just being present without working. So let people do the job they want to and are best at.

Risk averse management, government-like bureaucracy

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat technology, working with tier one suppliers and customers, exciting projects and products. Smart people to work with. Fair and decent employer with some of the best employee benefits around. Opportunity to learn.

ConsIngrained silo-mentality; not much cross-pollination between different divisions. Very hard to break into higher level management if you are not Italian or French. Internecine civil war between these fractions. Unnecessary layers of management. Company is treated as a social service by the French and Italian governments which are part owners, resulting in massive employment levels in those countries. Failures are not sanctioned. Cuts made in other parts of the world, impacting bottom line. High level decisions are often made based on political and economic realities of France and Italy, not on what is best for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a German or American CEO. Welcome bidirectional communication with employees. Take risks. Get off the government funding – it comes with too many strings attached. Get rid of nepotism, reward excellence.

got good learning experience

Trainee (Current Employee) Greater Noida (India)

Proswork culture is very good, chances of firing are very less

Consconversion rate after Internship are very less

Worked for STMicroelectronics? Contribute to the Community!