SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility(in 22 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic(in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management(in 8 reviews)

Too much stress for too little money.

At Home Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSchedule is a set one which is nice.

ConsThe wages are a joke for what we have to put up with. Too stressful for minimum wage. Too much abuse from customers and the expectation that every customer will be happy after talking to us is unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the wages so people will want to stay. The schedule is not bad. Stop being unrealistic in expectations of how we can resolve 100% of customer concerns.

If only there were good changes in the workplace, then maybe it would be tolerable.

Customer Service Agent I (Former Employee) Fayetteville, NC (US)

ProsThe best thing I've enjoyed was having the chance to meet great friends that would end up being long lasting friends. At one point of my life, I've been a pushover and always let things go. This job did teach me to strengthen myself and to not let people walk all over me.

ConsThere wasn't any stable leadership in the workplace. Managers constantly having "meetings" and never being around to help the CSR's. I didn't feel that the safety of the employees were a top priority to the managers. No leniency for people who have children and have emergencies. No chance to grow in that career due to favoritism. There is no professionalism, and on top of it all, even managers themselves don't follow the mission statement. I wanted to work at SYKES because of the mission statement, and I lost that interest after I immediately worked on the floor after training.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop hiring everyone! Hire those who would actually work hard and help the company grow. Please look closely at your managers because they are just doing whatever they please and not helping your CSR's. If you care about the company, care about your employees. Happy CSR's will bring better results in my opinion, and truthfully at this location, there isn't a single happy CSR. Pop in unannounced and see what its really like, go undercover in your locations. Have some leniency for those with children and those who are married to the military. If the management was different and if the managers actually followed the mission statement, I would have stayed a bit longer. I was one of the top people that did referrals in my team and the whole call center, give some rewards to those who go above and beyond for you. All I ask is to at least consider what I tell you, because most if not all former employees feel the same way I do.

Full of lies

ProsAt first a decent schedule with promises due to experience. Most of the TMs are ok

ConsAMs who make it known who they like or dislike, horrible pay and benefits and broken promises

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't have enough time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company with Great Values

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsSYKES is very involved in the community. They support many events in most of the communities they do business in. They treat employees well.

ConsI've heard other employees complain about not getting raises in the past but that changed this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt appears that the company is working hard to improve employee moral. Keep it up. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Good place, terrible salary

Inbound Sales Agent (Former Employee) Sveg (Sweden)

ProsThey see you, and your potential.

ConsThe salary is terrible and no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp the salaries and throw in some benefits.

Okay

Agent (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsGuaranteed 40 hours a week.

ConsNot enough pay for work required.

Positive

Director (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsFlexible work environment
    Laid back culture

ConsSiloed organization with difficulties working across the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the walls between organizations/functional areas

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Inbound Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Gold Coast (Australia)

ProsYoung, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

ConsManagement are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

OMG STEER CLEAR!

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsNothing, absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, zero, oh wait...I do enjoy my fellow trainees, the trainers...and that's it!

ConsOn your initial interview, you will be told different things that are later wrong. There are no new hire packets distributed so everyone gets different info depending on whom you speak to.

They basically hire anyone with a pulse. Start you at slave wages and no raises. You can't hey straight answers on benefits, dress code, etc.

No using your computer to even look at your paycheck stub to print out; you must use the one and only "kiosk" in the break room.

No entrance to see anyone in HR or the site secretary. Oh and if you have questions about HR related issues, good luck. Pour site was told HR comes to the office on a non scheduled basis.

I was told benefits world begin after 30 days, they don't for 60 days. The health insurance offered had no out of pocket maximum so you just keep paying till you die. The plan is SO bad that it doesn't even qualify under the Affordable Care Act!

Unless you enjoy being lied to and making $9.50 an hour, don't even apply.

Hours at this site vary from 11am to 11pm est, and right now are M-F however, because we do Medicare, during October through February, you will be working weekends too!

It's just a Mickey Mouse operation, oh wait, Disney isn't lame!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a freaking clue!

Real People at all levels

Data Analytics Specialist (Current Employee) Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

ProsStable, open and fair processes, clear and documented expectations on business objectives and individual performance, tools for greater accountability steadily put in place.

ConsSenior leaders are very territorial, mentor-mentee relationships sometimes come across as nepotistic. Recent cuts in support group numbers have led to disastrous drop in turn around times for support requests. Where are we going? No one can answer.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to develop your people. The pipeline is running low.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!