SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Dead end but pleasant enough

Brown Goods Technician (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

Pros* Good training
    * Overtime Opportunities
    * A lot of scope for lateral movement between accounts
    * On site catering

Cons* It's a call centre job - there isn't much scope for advancement, other than to team leader.
    * Contracts come and go, meaning little overall security
    * Pay is poor and pay freezes the norm
    * In certain accounts, unreasonable targets lead to low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one is kidding themselves - a call centre job is a call centre job. You could do well by introducing some manner of incentive structure to counter the long pay freezes - even if it is just for high street vouchers etc - every little bit helps in these tough times. Continue to provide good technical training for the tech accounts - this is valuable and allows us to provide a better outcome to customers. It is great to feel confident when diagnosing faults.

No Future without Change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsThe People who go above and beyond the call of duty eating into weekends and overtime during the week but who's worth is not recognized.

ConsManagement in big offices who do not listen to staff. HR management are not at all employee focused. Site management do not care about client's needs as long as financials attained.

Advice to Senior ManagementHQ need to take immediate action to change the management style and culture to ensure retention of quality personnel.

Good workplace to spend a few years and then move on with the experience you gain from it.

Trainer (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsMulticultural environment, opportunity to speak different languages, regular shifts. Career opportunities if you want to progress and good relationship between employees. Good workplace if you do not have many career ambitions and you are happy to have a steady job.

ConsThe company does not seem to care enough for the employees, the turnover is high and salaries are one of the lowest compared to competitors. The workload increases exponentially and there is very little praise and reward to the employees for the work done. It is difficult to find help and support when is needed on both personal and professional sides.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of not being available to support the employees when they need solutions or advice, try to listen and remember that you are dealing with human beings and not a source of income for the company. Value your hard working employees rather than focusing on finding way to have them do any responsibility job because "it is a great opportunity for you" but "unfortunately we are unable to pay you extra for it"
    The standards are getting worse, recently very unsuitable candidate were hired or offered a job because there was no other options and money had to come in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slightly disappointing

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsFlexibility in shifts, opportunities for overtime, Friday donuts, room for employee input sometimes.

ConsVery low pay compared to other companies, vouchers hard to earn for new hires and everybody who values being a team player over obsessing about stats. The other projects seemed to be okay, but the citibank account is horrible to work in. No internet, higher expectations, bigger work load, more restrictions and not a penny extra in return.You would be better off going for the other projects for the same pay. To paint the picture: in this time of unemployment they are unable to find and keep staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's more to being a good employee than stats, and brown nosing is not in the job description. Value actual hard workers, not the ones making noise about how much they supposedly do. Appreciate your employees, it's not that difficult.

Good atmosphere with colleges and team leaders

Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsGood training for the role and on going support

ConsAll related to working within a big worldwide corporation

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel a bit more special

Management Sucks

ProsSykes provides flexible hours .

ConsIf your looking to grow with the company find another job. Management is always changing. Management never wants to be bothered and are always in "special meetings." There are no pay raises no matter how great your work is. Misinformation is given to employees from Management.

Do not overlook the ones that work hard to do their job right.

Deposits (Former Employee) Wise, VA (US)

ProsThe people that work there are great most of the time. They really care for each other. Very involved in fund raisers to help cancer, diabetes etc.

ConsInsurance was not that good.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore advancements would be good.

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, learned a lot of skills working with client.

ConsCan be high intensity, but in the end it's worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Best job I can ever obtain to establish a relationship developing a plan of action

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Sumter, SC (US)

ProsGaining commitment with the customer leading to a suspension of my own values to isolate critical issues and represent business

ConsI'm not a supervisor LOL

Advice to Senior ManagementGive certificates or awards to the best employers

msr

Pros8 wks course so it gives you time to learn the software used and they test once a week to make sure you are learning the material.

ConsThe benefits are not as affordable as expected especially when the pay is pretty low already.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!