SYKES

Updated 27 February 2015
2.5

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 28 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I've never worked in a more horrible call center (in 13 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Excellent growth opportunities for leading company

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company truly provides a quality service to its clients and is seen as a leader in the field with growth around every corner. Their Sykes Home segment of the business has so much exciting potential and technological support. The more I learn, the more impressed I become. I personally am working for the best boss I've ever had in my [15yr+] career. I look at places like Discover that put so much emphasis and personality into their quality customer service and i LOVE knowing that I work for a company that makes that kind of thing possible for our impressive list of clients.

As a corporate citizen, SYKES earns high marks with me. They have multiple initiatives for making a difference in peoples' lives both inside and outside the company (corporate Domestic Violence awareness campaigns, Veterans' support, Employee Relief Fund, local sites fundraising for local nonprofits, etc.) They are very LGBT supportive and work hard to create a workplace of true equals.

Cons

Lots of growth means lots of growing pains. Sometimes communication and technology bear the brunt of that. Patience and positive attitude go a long way in bridging those occasional gaps.

Communication is key with change management issues. Engage, engage, engage! :)

Good first place to work, pay is too low

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on the team - friendly staff, good support provided

Cons

The wages are much too low: I am being asked to provide in-depth knowledge of products for companies in 3 different languages. You would think that two extra languages would mean higher wages (well, ok, 500 pounds per year extra).

You need to pay overtime. You encourage employees to "go the extra mile" but that extra mile still needs fair compensation.

No Future without Change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

The People who go above and beyond the call of duty eating into weekends and overtime during the week but who's worth is not recognized.

Cons

Management in big offices who do not listen to staff. HR management are not at all employee focused. Site management do not care about client's needs as long as financials attained.

HQ need to take immediate action to change the management style and culture to ensure retention of quality personnel.

Good workplace to spend a few years and then move on with the experience you gain from it.

Current Employee - Trainer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Trainer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Multicultural environment, opportunity to speak different languages, regular shifts. Career opportunities if you want to progress and good relationship between employees. Good workplace if you do not have many career ambitions and you are happy to have a steady job.

Cons

The company does not seem to care enough for the employees, the turnover is high and salaries are one of the lowest compared to competitors. The workload increases exponentially and there is very little praise and reward to the employees for the work done. It is difficult to find help and support when is needed on both personal and professional sides.

Instead of not being available to support the employees when they need solutions or advice, try to listen and remember that you are dealing with human beings and not a source of income for the company. Value your hard working employees rather than focusing on finding way to have them do any responsibility job because "it is a great opportunity for you" but "unfortunately we are unable to pay you extra for it"
    The standards are getting worse, recently very unsuitable candidate were hired or offered a job because there was no other options and money had to come in.

Slightly disappointing

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in shifts, opportunities for overtime, Friday donuts, room for employee input sometimes.

Cons

Very low pay compared to other companies, vouchers hard to earn for new hires and everybody who values being a team player over obsessing about stats. The other projects seemed to be okay, but the citibank account is horrible to work in. No internet, higher expectations, bigger work load, more restrictions and not a penny extra in return.You would be better off going for the other projects for the same pay. To paint the picture: in this time of unemployment they are unable to find and keep staff.

There's more to being a good employee than stats, and brown nosing is not in the job description. Value actual hard workers, not the ones making noise about how much they supposedly do. Appreciate your employees, it's not that difficult.

Dead end but pleasant enough

Former Employee - Brown Goods Technician in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Brown Goods Technician in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

* Good training
    * Overtime Opportunities
    * A lot of scope for lateral movement between accounts
    * On site catering

Cons

* It's a call centre job - there isn't much scope for advancement, other than to team leader.
    * Contracts come and go, meaning little overall security
    * Pay is poor and pay freezes the norm
    * In certain accounts, unreasonable targets lead to low morale

No one is kidding themselves - a call centre job is a call centre job. You could do well by introducing some manner of incentive structure to counter the long pay freezes - even if it is just for high street vouchers etc - every little bit helps in these tough times. Continue to provide good technical training for the tech accounts - this is valuable and allows us to provide a better outcome to customers. It is great to feel confident when diagnosing faults.

Good atmosphere with colleges and team leaders

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training for the role and on going support

Cons

All related to working within a big worldwide corporation

Make employees feel a bit more special

Great place to work, grow and hone in your skills.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Promotions, leadership opportunities, open to new ideas, care about their employees

Cons

PTO policy could be revamped to have more time off per year quicker.

Most companies of the size of Sykes have a standard 20 days PTO that comes into use after a year and then let 40 hours roll over. Something like this would be great.

Intense

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Colleagues, Work load, Schedule, Development, Oportunities

Cons

Lack of planning, no sanctions, poor management, low salary

Be leaders.

SYKES provides career growth opportunities and international business experience

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're smart and hard working, there are lots of opportunities to excel and get international business experience.

Cons

Communication and coordination difficulties that accompany working for a large company.

SYKES Response

Feb 21, 2015Sr. Manager TA Marketing & Sourcing

Thank you... Yes, we have a strong promote from within guideline. We have literally thousands of employees who started as a Customer Service / Call Center Representative and have grown their career ... More