SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Nice working environment;good career growth;convenient location;stable company"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sykes leadership team is out of touch with the call center world"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The newest organization structure has Alpine Access running the show"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dead end but pleasant enough

Brown Goods Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros* Good training
* Overtime Opportunities
* A lot of scope for lateral movement between accounts
* On site catering

Cons* It's a call centre job - there isn't much scope for advancement, other than to team leader.
* Contracts come and go, meaning little overall security
* Pay is poor and pay freezes the norm
* In certain accounts, unreasonable targets lead to low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one is kidding themselves - a call centre job is a call centre job. You could do well by introducing some manner of incentive structure to counter the long pay freezes - even if it is just for high street vouchers etc - every little bit helps in these tough times. Continue to provide good technical training for the tech accounts - this is valuable and allows us to provide a better outcome to customers. It is great to feel confident when diagnosing faults.

No Future without Change

I worked at SYKES full-time

ProsThe People who go above and beyond the call of duty eating into weekends and overtime during the week but who's worth is not recognized.

ConsManagement in big offices who do not listen to staff. HR management are not at all employee focused. Site management do not care about client's needs as long as financials attained.

Advice to Senior ManagementHQ need to take immediate action to change the management style and culture to ensure retention of quality personnel.

Good workplace to spend a few years and then move on with the experience you gain from it.

Trainer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMulticultural environment, opportunity to speak different languages, regular shifts. Career opportunities if you want to progress and good relationship between employees. Good workplace if you do not have many career ambitions and you are happy to have a steady job.

ConsThe company does not seem to care enough for the employees, the turnover is high and salaries are one of the lowest compared to competitors. The workload increases exponentially and there is very little praise and reward to the employees for the work done. It is difficult to find help and support when is needed on both personal and professional sides.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of not being available to support the employees when they need solutions or advice, try to listen and remember that you are dealing with human beings and not a source of income for the company. Value your hard working employees rather than focusing on finding way to have them do any responsibility job because "it is a great opportunity for you" but "unfortunately we are unable to pay you extra for it"
The standards are getting worse, recently very unsuitable candidate were hired or offered a job because there was no other options and money had to come in.

Slightly disappointing

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexibility in shifts, opportunities for overtime, Friday donuts, room for employee input sometimes.

ConsVery low pay compared to other companies, vouchers hard to earn for new hires and everybody who values being a team player over obsessing about stats. The other projects seemed to be okay, but the citibank account is horrible to work in. No internet, higher expectations, bigger work load, more restrictions and not a penny extra in return.You would be better off going for the other projects for the same pay. To paint the picture: in this time of unemployment they are unable to find and keep staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's more to being a good employee than stats, and brown nosing is not in the job description. Value actual hard workers, not the ones making noise about how much they supposedly do. Appreciate your employees, it's not that difficult.

Good atmosphere with colleges and team leaders

Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsGood training for the role and on going support

ConsAll related to working within a big worldwide corporation

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel a bit more special

i'm a freshman so i have to gather more experience

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Prosgood team members, flexible working plan, avarege salary, moderate working,

Conshard to make a carier, not so much opportunity to learn, after a littel time it becomes borring

Advice to Senior Managementhelp the employes to gather more experience and to evolve in a faster rate

Love hate relationship

I worked at SYKES

ProsYou start at $9, you can bonus off sales for TV, Internet & Home Phone and now if you add a line of service and if your surveys are good. They give an example of an extra $1,600+ in bonuses every month. If you want to move up they will do all they can to get you there. They have an "exchange" for employees in need where there is food and clothing and much more for those who need it all for free. The site director is extremely friendly and they all have an open door policy. It's mandatory full time with optional over time. You get an hour lunch and tons of schedules to choose from. They will also work with those in the army or in school.

ConsThe bonus off of sales sounds great but it is EXTREMELY hard. Some customers get mad, sometimes there is absolutely no way to offer to customers. And if you don't offer you get wrote up. They are more concerned about making sales then they are of their actual customers having their issues fixed. They cut the highest bonus that was over $300 down to $75 and below that used to be over $200 and now it's $55 and the lowest bonus for WTR (willingness to recommend AT&T) is down to $45 from over $100. So they cut that back a lot. It's a call center. It will literally make you hate your life. You just have to weigh the bad and good, it sounds amazing when you start and you are like Why would any one ever leave?!? This place is amazing!! Then 6+ months down the lone you are like, How do I escape?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing so hard on making sales that it makes your employees want to quit. There is more to our customers than selling them things. I would definitely say look into changing the way your TMs bonus so that it's better for the employees and management. I absolutely loved my job until you threatened me about sales.

Leadership

Technical Trainer (Current Employee)
Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities, friendly environment, good location

ConsMiscommunication, contradicted policies, organization and schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is one of the important keys for success.

The people you work with are your only incentive.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady paycheck, competition, flexible shifts

ConsOutdated equipment, unfriendly front office, disgusting bathrooms, no appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to spend a week as a CSR or Team Manager to really understand your employees. You have no idea.

Great way to start your career, if nothing good happens to you in 2 years - time to move on!

Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- great start of a career
- very good promotion opportunities, if you are really good
- very nice atmosphere
- nice collective (in general)
- access to lots of products you can test (depending on the client you work for)
- constant trainings
- nice source of income for the first years of your career

Cons- doesn't know about employee motivation, they wait for their clients to do this for their people
- doesn't care about employee's retention
- management is not experienced
- works through friendships
- lack of transparency

Advice to Senior Management- you would need a more experienced management, that can bring a fresh vision
- value your employees more, you let them go way too easily
- train yourselves and accept you are not perfect and you still have things to learn

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!

SYKES Videos

SYKES – Why Work for Us?

For more than 30 years, SYKES has been in the business of creating and maintaining satisfying relationships between client companies and their customers. During this time, they have also been creating gratifying jobs… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SYKES reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SYKES CEO Chuck Sykes. All 254 reviews are posted anonymously by SYKES employees.