SYKES Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Dead end but pleasant enough

Former Employee - Brown Goods Technician  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Brown Goods Technician in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Good training
    * Overtime Opportunities
    * A lot of scope for lateral movement between accounts
    * On site catering

Cons

* It's a call centre job - there isn't much scope for advancement, other than to team leader.
    * Contracts come and go, meaning little overall security
    * Pay is poor and pay freezes the norm
    * In certain accounts, unreasonable targets lead to low morale

No one is kidding themselves - a call centre job is a call centre job. You could do well by introducing some manner of incentive structure to counter the long pay freezes - even if it is just for high street vouchers etc - every little bit helps in these tough times. Continue to provide good technical training for the tech accounts - this is valuable and allows us to provide a better outcome to customers. It is great to feel confident when diagnosing faults.

No Future without Change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

The People who go above and beyond the call of duty eating into weekends and overtime during the week but who's worth is not recognized.

Cons

Management in big offices who do not listen to staff. HR management are not at all employee focused. Site management do not care about client's needs as long as financials attained.

HQ need to take immediate action to change the management style and culture to ensure retention of quality personnel.

Good workplace to spend a few years and then move on with the experience you gain from it.

Current Employee - Trainer  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Trainer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Multicultural environment, opportunity to speak different languages, regular shifts. Career opportunities if you want to progress and good relationship between employees. Good workplace if you do not have many career ambitions and you are happy to have a steady job.

Cons

The company does not seem to care enough for the employees, the turnover is high and salaries are one of the lowest compared to competitors. The workload increases exponentially and there is very little praise and reward to the employees for the work done. It is difficult to find help and support when is needed on both personal and professional sides.

Instead of not being available to support the employees when they need solutions or advice, try to listen and remember that you are dealing with human beings and not a source of income for the company. Value your hard working employees rather than focusing on finding way to have them do any responsibility job because "it is a great opportunity for you" but "unfortunately we are unable to pay you extra for it"
    The standards are getting worse, recently very unsuitable candidate were hired or offered a job because there was no other options and money had to come in.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slightly disappointing

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility in shifts, opportunities for overtime, Friday donuts, room for employee input sometimes.

Cons

Very low pay compared to other companies, vouchers hard to earn for new hires and everybody who values being a team player over obsessing about stats. The other projects seemed to be okay, but the citibank account is horrible to work in. No internet, higher expectations, bigger work load, more restrictions and not a penny extra in return.You would be better off going for the other projects for the same pay. To paint the picture: in this time of unemployment they are unable to find and keep staff.

There's more to being a good employee than stats, and brown nosing is not in the job description. Value actual hard workers, not the ones making noise about how much they supposedly do. Appreciate your employees, it's not that difficult.

Good atmosphere with colleges and team leaders

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training for the role and on going support

Cons

All related to working within a big worldwide corporation

Make employees feel a bit more special

Great opportunity to get real customer service experience

Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager  in  Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to chase them. Performance focused environment that really strives to provide the best opportunity for the agents to excel and develop.

Cons

Difficult to get time for personal problems. Sketchy tracking of metrics that are used to evaluate agent performance.

Great place to work!!

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive environment! Continued mentoring and support throughout my career with Sykes. I really enjoyed my colleagues while working with Sykes. Sykes is a very large BPO...but it never felt too large, if you know what I mean. Chuck Sykes instills the sense of camaraderie...even though Sykes employees are 60K+ strong!

Cons

Don't really have any to share.

It's a great company so far..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had just moved to the Lakeland area when I got the job at Sykes about a week later. The training was organized and very knowledgable. The managers are nice and very helpful. Also, the front desk employee is very upbeat and sweet which keeps everyone in a positive attitude. I have been able to make friends in the area and also network and leave great impressions for future roles and possibilities.

Cons

The only bad thing I have to say about the company, well location is that we only had 2 weeks of training instead of the regular 7 weeks that they give Customer Service Agents coming in. It kind of rushed us out on the floor, but all in all we learned what we needed through the training and trial and error.

A chance for career growth would be nice as well as a mentor program for those who potentially want to grow within the company.

No support when externally placed

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Maarssen (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maarssen (Netherlands)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are hired easy, you have to work very hard and no support, deal with the organisation you are working at

Cons

They have no other clients than Fujitsu, so when you are ended there, the contract will be ended too

Find more clients and help your employees for a better work life balance

Underpaid and not worthy

Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support Engineer  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Experience and improve in negotiation skills
    - only conversation skill improve

Cons

- there is less opportunity to be promoted if your mother tongue is Chinese or English.
    - not much no reward for good performance, does not worth with it
    - underpaid

Improve management and promotion to employee

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!