SYKES Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Call Center

Current Employee - OMDA Representative  in  Greenwood, SC (US)
    Current Employee - OMDA Representative in Greenwood, SC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for the area

Cons

Floor support management could use better training

Do your job..

Good for the people at corp, bad for the rest of us

Former Employee - Operations Analyst
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are nice and team players, everybody is focused in delivering good work

Cons

No growing inside the company, unless you are part of Chuck"s circle or you are the protege of VP of operations for the regions, the rest of the vps do not have any real power inside the company

Please get more good people in the top, Chuck is great but there are only limited ideas to where the company can grow, and the company is static towards new business models, and are solely focused in maintain margins than to look for real and outside the box ways of earning more dollars

Great opportunity to get real customer service experience

Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager  in  Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to chase them. Performance focused environment that really strives to provide the best opportunity for the agents to excel and develop.

Cons

Difficult to get time for personal problems. Sketchy tracking of metrics that are used to evaluate agent performance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a great company so far..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had just moved to the Lakeland area when I got the job at Sykes about a week later. The training was organized and very knowledgable. The managers are nice and very helpful. Also, the front desk employee is very upbeat and sweet which keeps everyone in a positive attitude. I have been able to make friends in the area and also network and leave great impressions for future roles and possibilities.

Cons

The only bad thing I have to say about the company, well location is that we only had 2 weeks of training instead of the regular 7 weeks that they give Customer Service Agents coming in. It kind of rushed us out on the floor, but all in all we learned what we needed through the training and trial and error.

A chance for career growth would be nice as well as a mentor program for those who potentially want to grow within the company.

Not bad if you can meet metrics and deal with Stress, but outsourcing cost me my job

Former Employee - TSR  in  Pikeville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - TSR in Pikeville, KY (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent Team Environment if you work FOR Sykes in their centers for the most part. Work at Home, I am not sure but based on what I have heard its completely different. You get to handle and fix issues for customers that can be satisfying in itself depending on the attitude of the customer.

Cons

Bad Calls or Customer contact can deter workers from wanting to do a good job. Meeting Metrics is more important than the Quality / Solution to the problem. Techs who meet Metrics regardless of whether or not the Customer is satisfied or problem resolved get rewarded, whereas the REAL Techs that fix the problems, that do not meet Metrics get penalized. This is NOT a good system to use. Whoever came up with this system needs to be tar and feathered. Pay is not that good in regards to the stress levels and overall work experience.

Advice to Company: Reward your Techs for 'fixing" the problems and providing a good customer service to the community. Metrics do not mean as much as you think and Customers care more about solutions than getting rushed off the phone. Last but not least, stop the outsourcing. You are sacrificing quality for quantity (US Citizens do not like to talk to non-English (coherent) speaking people for the most part. Your contributing to the decline of the economy in the USA. Stop being greedy and start helping your country / fellow Americans rather than hurting them.

My advice to Management: Treat your Team Members with respect in ALL situations. Work with them not against them and you will have better results. Difficult problems take time and consideration to fix. Stop penalizing your techs for trying to fix problems. Customers stay longer and spend more money with companies they feel are "trying" to help them. Pay your people more and they will do a better job and feel better about their self and the company they work for.

Great place to work!!

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive environment! Continued mentoring and support throughout my career with Sykes. I really enjoyed my colleagues while working with Sykes. Sykes is a very large BPO...but it never felt too large, if you know what I mean. Chuck Sykes instills the sense of camaraderie...even though Sykes employees are 60K+ strong!

Cons

Don't really have any to share.

No support when externally placed

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Maarssen (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maarssen (Netherlands)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are hired easy, you have to work very hard and no support, deal with the organisation you are working at

Cons

They have no other clients than Fujitsu, so when you are ended there, the contract will be ended too

Find more clients and help your employees for a better work life balance

Underpaid and not worthy

Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support Engineer  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Bilingual Technical Support Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Experience and improve in negotiation skills
    - only conversation skill improve

Cons

- there is less opportunity to be promoted if your mother tongue is Chinese or English.
    - not much no reward for good performance, does not worth with it
    - underpaid

Improve management and promotion to employee

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Allentown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly easy work. Nice working conditions. Building is in good shape as is the call floor. Other employees and managers are very nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Pay rate is low for the work we do.

Pay rate is way below other companies in the area.

Management Sucks

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Sykes provides flexible hours .

Cons

If your looking to grow with the company find another job. Management is always changing. Management never wants to be bothered and are always in "special meetings." There are no pay raises no matter how great your work is. Misinformation is given to employees from Management.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!