SYKES Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Not much room for growth.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Full time
    - Paid Training
    - I learned a lot about originating auto and personal loans.
    - Enjoyed building rapport with the members (callers)

There really isn't a whole lot of Pros at this job and it really depends on what account you work for as well.

Cons

They don't like to give raises. I originated auto and personal loans for their client company and after two years of working there you'd expect to receive some sort of raise. It doesn't matter, you can be one of the better team members on the floor and know a lot about the Line of Business, but alas, that doesn't matter. What they care about is your attendance and call metrics. But really... what can you expect from a call center.

Give raises based on the knowledge of the line of business and less on call metrics. Call metrics are there to make sure people are doing their job... but it shouldn't be the driving factor, especially if that person is doing much better than what is asked. Otherwise, your employees start to feel like they give and give and sooner or later they will start to not care anymore, because all their efforts are really in vain the end.

They will work with you if you are good at what they want you to do.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being one of the top employees in site has lead to a good experience but for those who arent doing well it can be a hard place to work.

Cons

They are unprofessional. No accountability. Very inconsistent.

Screen future employees at a higher standard and improve upon training regime

Not terrible, but that's not saying much

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Eugene, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Eugene, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The paid training is nice, though I believe they have shortened it to only 5 weeks at this point. Although they aren't the best, there are benefits offered. The work is full time with plenty of options for overtime. Scheduling is relatively consistent. If you are lucky enough to get with the right managers, they will take the time to help you build upon areas of weakness.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant here. Don't expect to be treated nearly as well as someone who has "been there since the beginning" even if you work twice as hard. Certain managers were promoted almost straight out of training just because they happened to be there at the beginning when they needed "leadership." As a result, there are some seriously incompetent managers pretty much benefiting off of the hard work of their team members. Unless you make consistent top level sales, it is likely that you will be either ignored, or "coached" incessantly. The client gauges success using satisfaction surveys which are easily skewed by customers who are unhappy for reasons beyond your control. This means you are given the option to either "fail" in the satisfaction category (and receive additional coaching as a result) or as another stated, engage in self preservation activities which are at the least extremely unethical.

No matter what you do, it will not be good enough in some way. Suggestions for improvement are given by people who have barely (if ever) had relevant experience and are extremely scripted and often times not applicable to one off situations. Mid level support does they best they can, but there are not enough support reps to go around, meaning that it is likely that you will sit on the phone for up to 10 minutes trying your hardest not to curse at your computer while your customer grows increasingly impatient just waiting for someone to come by and answer your question or provide approval for an action. Systems constantly go down, policies are always changing, and to top it off, your client is rather unpopular right now. Prepare to be yelled and cursed at at least twice a day on a good day.

Essentially, you'll be making 10 bucks an hour to take verbal abuse from strangers; be tasked to fix their issues with faulty systems, little support, and if you do not make everything better (without forking over free money, which is what many want), it is all your fault. If you do not make awesome sales numbers, you are not trying. Hard work and caring is not rewarded here. Take a job here if you must (it's a guaranteed gig) but keep putting in apps elsewhere. Honestly, Walmart is looking more attractive at this point.

If you want "better results" from your employes, take the time to develop their skills. Stop playing favorites, and for heaven's sake, stop ignoring flags in favor of hanging out with your buddies.

Disclosed Malvern AR

Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most the people are like family. Pay isn't horrible for the area. Always clean.
    Great incentive program for money
    Involved in community
    There were more before last 8 months but these have changed.

Cons

Tons of payroll issues. Working there many years I have had over 10 payroll issues and few that were never corrected no matter how long I tried or who I talked too.
    They promote to many unexperienced manager from Team leads even to most recent promoted account managers they ignore so many simple problems from dress code to bad conversations from both agents and team managers. The new director promotes from phone contacts instead of talent for all promotions. There is alot of criticism with little recognition. Most the good managers have left due to the recent changes. Many of former employee's feel the same with this place. The HR staff cannot seem to help people with problems but instead gossip about them. They tell you to pre plan needed time off over 3 weeks then say this or that on why it won't happen. I like many others have left the company due to the incompetence of the management staff running this place straight into the ground. Listen to your employees they have many complaints however your "leaders" do not listen. Although many have heard about Blooms 3 million dollar embezzlement he was a leader and helped others not treat then like they don't matter or take part in conversations distracting in others. I would have stayed with this company for life however they have changes that must be made and it starts at the top. I could go on about many things with the "support" however it wouldn't matter. Sykes malvern has become the new Accent hot springs. To all thinking of joining exploring other options never hurts In my opinion. P. S NOT WILLING TO RECOMEND

Train your management at all levels or hire others. If you don't do either you will continue losing quality employees and to the new director don't promote new TM and AM that can't do the job at most all my peers will tell u they miss work because they hate their boss and criticism from you and Tm. All your talented management has left since July.

I like the actual job, but not the working environment

Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was great and the trainer (who has since been 'let go') was knowledgeable, good at his job, and funny. I enjoyed working with the customers and the products.

Cons

The systems went down frequently and I never felt like we had the support from floor support and team leaders. We were told sales were not a priority but once on the floor, sales was the primary (and seemed only) priority - too much pressure.

Be honest about the sales aspect of the position; floor support should make sure the agent feels comfortable that a resolution was found before moving on; get better tech support to make sure the systems don't continually go down.

Liked my job very much......Customer Service is No.1 to me!

Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales (Australia)
    Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales (Australia)

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great for somebody who is young & related or a friend, looking for a job.
    Great for a job until you find the right job!

Cons

Management/Team Leaders & SME (Subject Matter Experts, that is) are 95% under 25yrs. Lacking people skills within adaptability, maturity within leadership skills especially. Poor training. NOT flexible at all. Blame Westpac for restrictions & never take it front on.
    NOT

Read all feedback & take it on board.
    Employees depend on trusting the BRAND they work for.

Good.

Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning banking regulations and the ability to learn about the products they sell..

Cons

Having to work night shift 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm.

None other than needs more floor support.

The most fun I ever had while working.

Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is an effort to reward employees in small ways.

Cons

The work can be very difficult.

More with Less is not always possible.

Generally friendly and fun.

Current Employee - Electronic Claims Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Electronic Claims Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Steady work. Good chance of promotion.

Cons

Low pay for the skills required.

Sykes

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

The pay is biweekly which is great. They have opportunities for promotions. After six months of working there, you get a raise

Cons

You will have no kind of social life, or life period, outside of this job. The hours are horrible. Too many unnecessary rules.