SYKES Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management making high end dollars with little or no raises for those who are generating the business (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

It pays more than average for the area, and is a simple job

Cons

The management makes everything unnecessarily stressful and difficult. The building is absolutely disgusting, and they continuously run off the cleaning staff. Roaches, mold, fleas, etc. They refuse to work with you on the scheduling unless your stats are flawless. 100% everything. So, if they assign a shift you can't work, guess what? You're getting fired because they won't help you get to a shift you can work. On top of that, the 'benefits' all count against you, and HR continuously misrepresents how things work.

Stop hiring management for filler, as it makes for bad management and poor scores.

Avoid if possible

I worked at SYKES

Pros

It's a desk job. The dress code is pretty casual. There really aren't many pros.

Cons

The training is long and tedious, but as soon as you go into nesting you realize how much you did not learn. My entire class was completely unprepared as we took our first calls. For instance, we were told the most common call would be to make a payment, yet we were never trained on how to process a payment. We were told over and over that we would have a ton of floor support and we did not.

The training was all over the place and very unorganized. One person would tell us one thing, only to have someone else tell us completely different. There was a ton of down time where we talked amongst ourselves.

With 5-6 weeks of training, there's no reason why Sykes can't prepare employees better. My class had 6 people quit by the time we went into nesting.

We were also told that if we stepped away from our phone to use the bathroom, that we had to deduct that time from our 15 minute break. I was told, "we don't pay you to use the bathroom." I'll be speaking with someone about that policy.

The problem with this company is simple: they don't pay their employees enough. Their "management" is comprised of poorly paid, poorly educated, power-hungry employees. The managers don't make much more than their subordinates (who make $9/hr), and in this case, you get what you pay for.

Except for the employees on the phone. We were expected to not only assist the customers with their needs but also try to sell them Uverse products as well. We were told to make an offer on every call- no exceptions. Seems like a lot to ask for $9/hr.

I'd rather wait tables than work here again.

1. Pay your management more.
    2. Hire qualified management with previous experience. The managers there had no business in that role.
    3. Completely reform your new hire training.

Difficult to work for

Current Employee - CCP
    Current Employee - CCP

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overtime for the company is a plus

Cons

Hard to communicate with team leads, and have poor management. There is always an issue with their systems and you never get paid for your full time

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underpaid for amount of work and training does not prepare for over half live calls

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hiring process was long but welcoming pre-employment team is great! Team leads are awesome and very helpful as well.

Cons

Training was not satisfactory, spent majority of the time reading articles ver-batim and not enough hands on training, listening to calls and watching use of tools. Not enough pay for the demanding calls and all of the resources necessary.

Most of the pre-employment and leadership is great! The training however was long yet not helpful at all when applied to live calls. Instead of practicing live calls and using our tools we spent most of our time reading articles. Time would have been better spent listening to live calls and watching pro agents use their tools and resources properly during calls.

Started well, going down hill

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The health Benefits with Blue Cross, most of your co-workers are awesome but thats all that can really be said.

Cons

When I started you made more then minimum wage and got raises, now the wages have frozen and your making the minimum which isn't enough to live off. If you can get customers to purchase new services you can get a bonus... but don't expect it to be paid out to you for over 6 months. Good luck getting the extra dollar for your schedule adherence because there will always be something that throws it off.

Your scheduled hours will fluctuate even if your shift claims to be fixed hours and they are unwilling to work with your needs if you have no vehicle causing some employees to walk home at midnight on an hour + walk no matter if you have health concerns, are male or female (even if pregnant). Do NOT expect to have any help.

They don't care that it's a non-scent environment, if you are allergic you better be prepared to loose hours that they will not reimburse you for and will count against you and not do anything against those that violate the scent policy even if it forces co-workers to go to the hospital.

They require you to do over 20 things on one call which most customers have absolutely no interest in allowing you to do and you can be penalized even if you do everything right because the customer didn't like how you did it.

Endless company jargon with no importance that they require you to spout back t them at every meeting.

Oh and the blue cross benefits are not helpful in most cases as most places require you to pay for the services first as the health care professionals (glasses, etc) do not take the benefits upfront.

Give back the raises, be more flexible with employees schedules and pay more then minimum wage if your going to stress your reps out.

msr

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

8 wks course so it gives you time to learn the software used and they test once a week to make sure you are learning the material.

Cons

The benefits are not as affordable as expected especially when the pay is pretty low already.

At Sykes I was a Customer Care Agent for AT&T

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved assisting the customers and I loved my co-workers

Cons

I didn't like it that the customer care agent were trained for 7 weeks, but the corporate store and retail clerks were trained only 2 weeks. 75% of our calls were dealing with how the corporate/stores had messed up customer accounts.

Train care agents and clerks the same way

Too much stress for too little money.

Current Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Schedule is a set one which is nice.

Cons

The wages are a joke for what we have to put up with. Too stressful for minimum wage. Too much abuse from customers and the expectation that every customer will be happy after talking to us is unrealistic.

Increase the wages so people will want to stay. The schedule is not bad. Stop being unrealistic in expectations of how we can resolve 100% of customer concerns.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Quality Manager  in  Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I worked with had great dedication to the QA department

Cons

No backing from upper management

Listen.

If only there were good changes in the workplace, then maybe it would be tolerable.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent I  in  Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing I've enjoyed was having the chance to meet great friends that would end up being long lasting friends. At one point of my life, I've been a pushover and always let things go. This job did teach me to strengthen myself and to not let people walk all over me.

Cons

There wasn't any stable leadership in the workplace. Managers constantly having "meetings" and never being around to help the CSR's. I didn't feel that the safety of the employees were a top priority to the managers. No leniency for people who have children and have emergencies. No chance to grow in that career due to favoritism. There is no professionalism, and on top of it all, even managers themselves don't follow the mission statement. I wanted to work at SYKES because of the mission statement, and I lost that interest after I immediately worked on the floor after training.

Please stop hiring everyone! Hire those who would actually work hard and help the company grow. Please look closely at your managers because they are just doing whatever they please and not helping your CSR's. If you care about the company, care about your employees. Happy CSR's will bring better results in my opinion, and truthfully at this location, there isn't a single happy CSR. Pop in unannounced and see what its really like, go undercover in your locations. Have some leniency for those with children and those who are married to the military. If the management was different and if the managers actually followed the mission statement, I would have stayed a bit longer. I was one of the top people that did referrals in my team and the whole call center, give some rewards to those who go above and beyond for you. All I ask is to at least consider what I tell you, because most if not all former employees feel the same way I do.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!