Sabre

Sabre Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein

Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures (in 55 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 22 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I really enjoyed working at Sabre as a regional Finance Director - a great business with a fantastic team

Director, Finance (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people, smart, collaborative, successful business, supportive and positive culture, strong drive to succeed, win and grow the business. I felt my work was appreciated and valued, and felt I could make a real impact on the business.

ConsSome controls are over-centralized at times , which can slow things down on occasion, and pay outside of the US can be 10 -20% below the local market norms for high quality finance professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the regional teams a bit more, but otherwise a very well run, excellent business.

Promotions are given only when you threaten to leave

Software Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsSemi-flexible working arrangements means working from home is acceptable. Lots of travel involved to some really cool places (although recent cost cutting is slowing that down). Decent bonuses each year (usually between 5-10%). 5 weeks holiday in the UK is standard. Lower level bosses and directors are usually easy-going and understanding.

ConsThe workloads can really stretch you. The reward for completing work is more workload. There are people in the company who don't carry their weight, creating more work for everybody else and they aren't even disciplined. They are just left to themselves. The lay-offs affect the company globally meaning everybody has to suddenly do more than one or two positions at once.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Marketing department is a useless, expensive and elitist waste of time. They have most of the influence over product development but know nothing about what the customers are needing because they never see them. Something has to change.

Nice place to work...lots of very intelligent engineers to work with and learn with

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsComputer engineering processes are in-place and they work quite well. I'm talking about peer code reviews and quality assurance. The group I was lucky enough to work in had an excellent set of processes that every single 'project' or 'upgrade' went through.

ConsPhysical work space (Southlake, TX...their world-wide headquarters) was quite confining and not conducive to good or high levels of concentration. People always interrupting you, talking to your neighbors...just generally not what I'd call an easy place to concentrate in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire and fire so rampantly (and religiously). You are losing a lot of good people by doing what you do when it comes to the constant threat of new layoffs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Contributor Business Analyst (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsGood career growth. Travel options.

ConsFrequent Layoffs. Career restricted to travel industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo frequent layoffs

Full of smart, experienced, industry-saavy people who are good to work with but organization is slow to change

ProsWorked here for over 10 years until leaving for a better opportunity in the industry. The people make this a great place to work. They are smart people who know the industry very well and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Pay is above average for the travel industry and market for companies outside the industry. Benefits were also very competitive with many other industries. I was able to advance my career and grow responsibilities w/o leaving the holdings company.

Cons1. The plus is also a minus. With so many experienced people, it can be tough to find advancement opportunities. It is a culture of who you know and what projects you've worked on or lead.
    2. The GDS business (the core of Sabre) is a mature industry and thus is primarily managed to profitability rather than top line revenue growth. Not a big deal if you are a finance person but maybe it is for someone in brand marketing.
    3. The company is still trying to find ways to grow. It has done acquisitions, it has incubated businesses and it hasn't hit a home run or even a double yet. Perhaps that will change but it struggles to find growth outside of its airline technology business.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to rip off the band-aid and get to the future. That means taking some risk with acquisitions but it also means taking risk in terms of talent management. I think some people are allowed to stay too long.

Tehnology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat visionary leaders. Great teachnology.

ConsNone. Great company to work for with great people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Sabre - could be better!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Kraków (Poland)

ProsWork for GDS,
    Experience in travel industry,
    Chance to develop within industry

ConsNot elastic (hard to get WFH and felxible working hours),
    Very poor pay-rise rate,
    Poor bonuses
    Working atmosphere

Great name to have on my resume, but it's time to get the hell out

ProsSenior leadership is responsive to requests from employees. Changes are being made around campus. Campus is Eco-friendly and there are several employee groups one can join based on one's interests. Volunteering is important to the company. Depending on the team, there are flexible work from home policies, flexible hours, and the potential for work/life balance.

ConsThe company is currently undergoing a lot of change. With being public, mostly new senior leadership, and some of the "old Sabre" still around, it's a very confusing environment. They want us to innovate, but budgeting, legacy systems, and fear of failure prevent that from happening 95% of the time. Depending on the team, work environments can be brutal, overly competitive, micro-managed by non-managers, and uncomfortable to work in. It is not a terrible place to work, but one needs to be cautious of the team they join and aware of the changing culture. Hopefully is it evolving for the better, but only time will tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more with top talent to create top products. Revamp campus to be more conducive to any personality work environment. Stop giving power to those who are stuck with the old way Sabre ran, and instead listen to the new ideas.

Micro-managed beyond comprehension and required to hit moving targets.

ProsThe people - without a doubt, overall the best group of people I have found in my entire career. There is a high degree of integrity here and pride in their work. You will not be working with slackers. The option to work from home is nice, if you can get it. Different managers will restrict this option, so make it part of your contract if it is important to you.

ConsThe micromanaging is out of control. I've never worked anywhere that makes more of an effort to un-empower their employees. They claim they want innovation but provide no ownership over your work. In some divisions, leadership at the highest levels is seriously lacking, as the SVP's just bicker over their power & territory. Even at that high level, they refuse to work together, and everyone under them ends up just trying to keep their heads down to stay out of the fray.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease empower your employees. People at director levels and above should not be doing the work anymore. Ask them how they manage their projects. If the response is scheduling meetings every week, then they don't understand automation and how to manage workloads properly. You have an impeccable staff down to the lowest levels. Don't squander that asset by using management techniques best left in the 80's.

Ups and Downs

Product Manager (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsThe work environment and people make for a great place to work. The aviation industry is very interesting and have given me the opportunity to travel to very cool places and always have challenging problems to solve. It depends on the position but I have extremely great flexibility and work life balance and most every coworker that I know would agree. People have been hard on the new CEO, Tom Klein. My opinion is that he is a pretty standard executive and most people I know don't like him because he has a very different style of management than the last CEO, not necessarily worse.

ConsThere is very limited visibility into what upper management is thinking. Proposals are sent "up stairs" but you never seem to get an answer or even get a feel for how they took the proposal. Recent change (and moves to get there)to being a public company has seemed to hurt employee morale more than help

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease improve visibility into decisions

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!