Sabre Reviews

Updated 30 August 2014

3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures (in 55 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 22 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I really enjoyed working at Sabre as a regional Finance Director - a great business with a fantastic team

Current Employee - Director, Finance  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Director, Finance in London, England

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, smart, collaborative, successful business, supportive and positive culture, strong drive to succeed, win and grow the business. I felt my work was appreciated and valued, and felt I could make a real impact on the business.

Cons

Some controls are over-centralized at times , which can slow things down on occasion, and pay outside of the US can be 10 -20% below the local market norms for high quality finance professionals.

Empower the regional teams a bit more, but otherwise a very well run, excellent business.

Promotions are given only when you threaten to leave

Current Employee - Software Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Semi-flexible working arrangements means working from home is acceptable. Lots of travel involved to some really cool places (although recent cost cutting is slowing that down). Decent bonuses each year (usually between 5-10%). 5 weeks holiday in the UK is standard. Lower level bosses and directors are usually easy-going and understanding.

Cons

The workloads can really stretch you. The reward for completing work is more workload. There are people in the company who don't carry their weight, creating more work for everybody else and they aren't even disciplined. They are just left to themselves. The lay-offs affect the company globally meaning everybody has to suddenly do more than one or two positions at once.

The Marketing department is a useless, expensive and elitist waste of time. They have most of the influence over product development but know nothing about what the customers are needing because they never see them. Something has to change.

New Management, New Direction

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Southlake, TX (US)

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the past couple of years since I've joined, the company has made big changes in executive leadership (new CEO and new CTO). In that time, Sabre has also made big changes to the business (going public, moving Travelocity to Expedia's platform, attempting to sell lastminute.com). Internally, we are pushing to change the culture to be "one Sabre" and to drive innovation. Common topics: creating big data products, shifting to cloud architectures, focusing on world class user experiences. As a software developer, it feels pretty positive. You are definitely rewarded for pushing your product forward.

Cons

Culturally, there seems to be a lot of apathy. Technology seems to be about 5-10 years behind the best tech companies. For example, we're just now starting to investigate cloud architecture. If you're into mainstream technologies from 5 years ago, you're considered leading edge rebels.

I love the new direction the company is going. Focusing on using modern technologies and valuing premium user experiences are great strategies for creating customer value.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

I have been working at Sabre full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn a lot of things, I have a good manager, and I also have opportunities to chat with senior management team

Cons

The full time pay is low, work life balance sometimes is a problem.

Very interesting industry & good people to work with.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southlake, TX (US)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed the fact that Sabre really took pride in the community around them. There were so many community service opportunities and Sabre allowed a certain number of work time hours to pursue them. From my experience in my group, my manager always "had my back" and really stood up for and believed in the people beneath him. There was also a very flexible environment with working from home options. The actual options available to you for WFH varied depending on the group you are with.

Cons

In the group I was in it was very difficult to get a promotion and moving around the company was difficult if your group was under-staffed. You would get "blocked" so to speak from the upper management.

Be as transparent as possible with employees when questions are asked.

Good company

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Great company to learn a lot from, especially if you're a new grad. Sabre is engaged with almost every facet of travel and with many technologies, both currently in use and on the drawing boards of many large companies for the future.

Cons

Too much analysis and slow to take action.

Experiment more with different business strategies.

A very good company to work for

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good workplace
    Good facilities
    Work / Life balance
    Leisurely environment

Cons

Feel of lost in the crowd

Excellent people, bad management

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX (US)

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are wonderful, good benefits

Cons

Management tends to be a bit stuck in the '90s. Layoffs are terrifying. things go slow.

Be less structured. Have the ability for WFH. Offer more benefits to attract a younger employer base.

Great experience overall!

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Montevideo (Uruguay)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Montevideo (Uruguay)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Manager took time to get to know each team member and invest in each person to help him/her grow. Wonderful team atmosphere and support during all projects and tasks. Opportunities to learn!

Cons

Compensation didn't match up with work performance expectations.

Continue to invest in your people!

Great company, great job.

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Cool industry (travel), fun & smart colleagues. Plenty of HR and training available. Strong healthy benefits and plenty of travel opportunities if you are on the business side.

Cons

Large organization leads to processes, complexity. Can be top-heavy at times... especially post-IPO.

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!