Sabre Reviews

Updated 20 September 2014
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures (in 55 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 22 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I really enjoyed working at Sabre as a regional Finance Director - a great business with a fantastic team

Current Employee - Director, Finance  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Director, Finance in London, England

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, smart, collaborative, successful business, supportive and positive culture, strong drive to succeed, win and grow the business. I felt my work was appreciated and valued, and felt I could make a real impact on the business.

Cons

Some controls are over-centralized at times , which can slow things down on occasion, and pay outside of the US can be 10 -20% below the local market norms for high quality finance professionals.

Empower the regional teams a bit more, but otherwise a very well run, excellent business.

Promotions are given only when you threaten to leave

Current Employee - Software Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Semi-flexible working arrangements means working from home is acceptable. Lots of travel involved to some really cool places (although recent cost cutting is slowing that down). Decent bonuses each year (usually between 5-10%). 5 weeks holiday in the UK is standard. Lower level bosses and directors are usually easy-going and understanding.

Cons

The workloads can really stretch you. The reward for completing work is more workload. There are people in the company who don't carry their weight, creating more work for everybody else and they aren't even disciplined. They are just left to themselves. The lay-offs affect the company globally meaning everybody has to suddenly do more than one or two positions at once.

The Marketing department is a useless, expensive and elitist waste of time. They have most of the influence over product development but know nothing about what the customers are needing because they never see them. Something has to change.

Decent place to work; Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX (US)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are mostly good-natured and fun.
    They like them some technology.
    Nice facilities.
    Lax dress code.
    Work from home allowed.
    Many long-timers.
    MBA club - Does not make it easy. MBA managers have higher expectations.
    Great place for women, not so much for men. They go overboard on the PC and fairness crap to the detriment of non-preferred classes.
    Compensation decent - once in, they will claim to be restricted to low percentage adjustments so negotiate for max before hire. Ask for the salary range for the job. Ensure you are in the correct band - Developing, Proficient, Expert. At least ask for median.
    Job ID can determine bonus amount. If code is 40123, code 50123 has 2x bonus and salary range. The 5 job may not be available, but ask about promotion.

Cons

Regular reorganizations.
    No dedicated office space.
    Open floor plan/noisy.
    Loyalty to owners/stock price bring annual layoffs - Merry Christmas.
    Love outsourcing - can make for 1am conference calls and 20+ hour days.
    Shrinking customer base.
    Do not see as a growing business.
    Terror activity can have large, immediate impact to business.
    MBA club - creates a class culture.
    Perception of veiled hostility toward men.

When laying people off, cut the non-performers. Across the board/everyone has to lose a head layoffs do nothing but allow managers to be vindictive to the people they don't like and demoralize employees. For all of the layoffs I went through, I was always amazed that some people were not impacted.

Make HR do something worthwhile. HR should have a current profile of every employee. Shutting down a business unit and want to keep good employees? HR should be able to place them in one day. Career planning and management? HR should have current information so they can actively assist employees meet their goals. HR does nothing but manage the happy on-boarding and the hard-feelings off-boarding. You should invite all employees that have been laid off over the years to watch when HR has a purge. Would be a good opportunity for a happy hour. No, I was not laid off. I don't like HR as they don't help employees.

You speak of mentoring. Sounds great doesn't it. Maybe add a formal structure to it?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Sabre as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Timings and awesome work culture to come and go anytime, just if the work is completed.
    a a a a

Cons

NONE. a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

New Management, New Direction

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Southlake, TX (US)

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the past couple of years since I've joined, the company has made big changes in executive leadership (new CEO and new CTO). In that time, Sabre has also made big changes to the business (going public, moving Travelocity to Expedia's platform, attempting to sell lastminute.com). Internally, we are pushing to change the culture to be "one Sabre" and to drive innovation. Common topics: creating big data products, shifting to cloud architectures, focusing on world class user experiences. As a software developer, it feels pretty positive. You are definitely rewarded for pushing your product forward.

Cons

Culturally, there seems to be a lot of apathy. Technology seems to be about 5-10 years behind the best tech companies. For example, we're just now starting to investigate cloud architecture. If you're into mainstream technologies from 5 years ago, you're considered leading edge rebels.

I love the new direction the company is going. Focusing on using modern technologies and valuing premium user experiences are great strategies for creating customer value.

Very interesting industry & good people to work with.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southlake, TX (US)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed the fact that Sabre really took pride in the community around them. There were so many community service opportunities and Sabre allowed a certain number of work time hours to pursue them. From my experience in my group, my manager always "had my back" and really stood up for and believed in the people beneath him. There was also a very flexible environment with working from home options. The actual options available to you for WFH varied depending on the group you are with.

Cons

In the group I was in it was very difficult to get a promotion and moving around the company was difficult if your group was under-staffed. You would get "blocked" so to speak from the upper management.

Be as transparent as possible with employees when questions are asked.

Good internship experiences

I worked at Sabre as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interns can learn a lot of things here, from peers, managers, and senior executives. Also, the pay is good.

Cons

The culture of the company is just OK, not many cooperation across different groups, sometimes the job can be boring, depends on the projects

Provide better food, organize more networking events

Irregular

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Montevideo (Uruguay)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Montevideo (Uruguay)

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work environment, great benefits.

Cons

work life balance and not hable to work from home

very interesting and growing industry

I have been working at Sabre for more than 8 years

Pros

very collaborative environment and strong team work

Cons

new leadership has changed the culture of the company

Good company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant - Tpf  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant - Tpf in Southlake, TX (US)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technology if you are interested in that. And the environment for better working including friendly people. I believe the people are happy here most of the time in comparison to some of my other companies before

Cons

Pay and bonus are not great. While many companies do a better pay or better bonus - here both are not that great. Yearly reviews and salary raise are not something that can be said even on percentage basis

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!