Safeway

Safeway Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros:
  • "Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days"
    in 34 reviews
  • "It was a job until you found a more practical position, Good benefits"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management had know clue what it was like to manage at store level"
    in 42 reviews
  • "On call, Shifting, Working on weekends periodically (but I was still able to maintain work-life balance)"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Conservative Corporate Mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOverall I enjoyed the job, the benefits were good and for the morst part the people are friendly. It's a very hierachial company and if you don't have a seat at the table with the people at the top you won't go far.

ConsIt was not a collaborative work environment. No one wanted to share ideas for fear that someone else would take the idea and run with it and call it there own.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement was not conserned about developing people/leaders as much as the bottome line...making money.

A career rising within Safeway

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSo many skills learned while managing people, measuring performance of every aspect of a business, and using information to execute company initiatives to build loyalty, keep costs to minimum, & drive sales above goals. Pay can be negotiated at hire. Many opportunities to advance into other positions within.

ConsStrategies with Upper executives reducing costs are not realistic in expectations of labor skill set, often employees are unqualified for key roles, pay poorly & some roles are less and coincidentally female roles ( like meat depart. Mostly male are higher paid and manage less people than say, the del, i prodominatly female, and the lowest paid department manager)

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture of " we will do what it takes" is not healthy when it comes with an expectation of performance measurement. Selfishness has bred a team of sandbaggers that are not motivated to help have a healthy business. Often entire careers are thrown out by executives for petty issues.

Safeway's a great place to work...

IT Software Migration Tech (Current Employee)
Richmond, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people all have great attitudes. Its obvious they care about their employees & their product. I recently did some upgrades to several bay area plants. I only wish the contract had lasted longer.

ConsNone. I just wish the contract had lasted longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Too much disconnect between corporate and store workers

Produce Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee)
Tarzana, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFairly easy jobs
Health Benefits
Resources
Flexible scheduling

ConsWeak pay with little to no regular promotion
Absolutely unreal standards for slower stores (and without a promotion goal in sight the motivation to work hard is lost)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider realistic expectations from your workers. The results they want are not worth what people who have been working there for a few years are getting paid for.

Manager

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearning the retail business is interesting because it is different.

ConsToo many layers of VP's. It is so top heavy, I've never seen this many VP levels before. The story I was told is they run out of opportunities so they promote to the next title, which the covet here dearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany hope the merger with Albertsons will high light the need to shave off at least 2-3 layers of VP's here.

Could be better, could be worse

Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros-Coworkers were really nice and helpful when first starting
-Some managers were really fun to work with
- I was cross-trained into checking fairly early. Pay increase for the hours spent checking
-Employee recognition programs
-Some customers were AWESOME and I would be very happy to see them return to the store. (Few and far between, sadly)

Cons-Most people hated working there and the attitude was contagious.
-Nobody likes grocery shopping to begin with-- pair that with a bad experience and that is the kind of customer you have to interact with multiple times daily. It was hard to be positive by the end of the shift.
-There was always a lot going on with little help behind the Customer Service Desk. Always felt short-staffed during busy hours.
-Being required to bag when there was no customers at the desk. While it makes sense to get the most out of your time there, it would be painful when you began bagging an order because nobody was at the desk, and then suddenly 5-10 impatient and angry customers lined up at once.
-The training wasn't very helpful. Kind of got thrown into the fray. Luckily the managers were mostly flexible and helpful on the floor. Would have been nice to be more prepared to use the registers and have more knowledge about the smaller policies that are skipped over in the impersonal computer training modules. Also, without coming in on my spare time to study the store, it was impossible to know where things were in the store for when customers asked.
-Would fairly regularly get called into work because someone else called in -- great for hours, but would sometimes ruin my time off.
-10% off Safeway brand products seemed like a petty benefit. I saved very little even when buying those specific brands.

Advice to Senior Management-Pay for customer service seemed too low for my particular location. Regular checkers received better pay and for the most part, had more straightforward customer interactions.
-Have better attitudes toward the store, employees, and the customer. Between disgruntled employees and the grumpy customers, it was hard to have pride in working for Safeway and end the night satisfied with the work for the day.
-Spend a little more time thoroughly training new-hires. While its not rocket-science and can be mastered through practice, little things can be easily avoided if the approach was more proactive and less "we'll cross that bridge when we get there" kind of mentality.
-Have an ONLINE SCHEDULE SYSTEM. It was frustrating to have to come into the store to check the schedule if you were not working the day it was posted.
-Spend less time at the self-checkout and more time in or around the customer service desk. When I'm dependent on managers for keys, decisions, certain phone calls, and especially bad customer experiences, it was incredibly annoying to have to constantly page and wait for the manager to make their way to the desk.

safeway cares about tax credits more than chains they buy

Backup FMC (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood training, computer supports, safety training, and communications to management and employees. retail advertiziing support top notch, schedules for the needs of the business.

Conssmall dirty stores, secret shoppers, punishment philosophies for stores not toeing their lines, and you never know when they will sell off an aquired chain for a tax credit laying off everyone as they did to Dominick's Foods in IL, pulls employees off their jobs throughout the day to support underscheduled front-end operations

A mediocre job

All Purpose Clerk (Former Employee)
Florence, OR (US)

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

ProsCould pay well over time.

ConsToo many managers, not enough workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit threatening people with demotion if they aren't fast enough in your opinion. Try motivating instead. And, make the chain command each day or shift clear to the people working as it seems to change often.

Too much red tape and layers, layers of management

Supply Chain (Former Employee)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople can be genuinely nice. But, these folks are usually those that are at the same level as you. Don't expect too much from those higher than you except a smile.
Not too long hours. Come in early and so, you can leave early.
There is a gym.

ConsSalaries are on low side. Those that have been there for years are there probably hoping to be promoted due to their number of years, so he/she will be there for his/her own benefit. They will put themselves before you.
Skill sets vary greatly. Lots of 'hot air' blowing around to compensate.
Directors, Managers exist everywhere.
Pretty high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementSkill sets among individuals vary greatly, and there is lots of 'hot air' blowing around to compensate. You may be getting false, incomplete information (salesman pitch).

Not suggested

Safeway - Starbucks Barista (Former Employee)

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

ProsYou make friends with a lot of fellow employees and SOMETIMES managers

ConsEverything else. Pay is crappy. Paid vacation and sick leave all that is crappy. The managers think they can slack off and blame someone else. Within the first few months of me being there the Store manager. Yes the big guy, head honcho was fired for getting so angry(which he did often) that he grabbed an employee and slammed them up against a wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to have respect for the employees that work for you. And don't abuse your powers.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Safeway CEO Robert Edwards. All 881 reviews are posted anonymously by Safeway employees.