Safeway

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.8 1,023 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days(in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models(in 46 reviews)

1,023 Employee Reviews

Great company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsThe people are passionate about the business.

ConsHuge organization takes time to understand how to navigate thru.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the leadership. Good things to come.

There is no need to prepare for interview

Checker (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsI have worked here for almost seven years and have noticed that managers here don't even have high school diplomas, but they are trained to act like they own the entire corporation, and act like robots, and they have no common sense. Employees are responsible for running two to three departments at a time and are forced to work under extreme stress; there is hardly anything on the shelves, and departments are kept dirty because management is forced to cut hours, and few are scheduled to work. Constant complains from customer, but management don't care. The only times things are perfect when the corporate calls and want a visit, then employees are borrowed from close by stores and every department is turned into as if the stored just opened. Only ten hours of break is given between shifts, hours can very from 16-40. It has fake union, whit $150 check, they take $56, and after taxes your are left with hardly $100 per week.

Good Pay but miserable place to work

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay rate is quite good especially as you progress into department or lower management.

ConsCompany does not respect their employees, they treat you like that there is someone who can come in and replace you immediately. There are unrealistic expectations and the general environment in most stores is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers like to see people in the stores, if you want to have success it starts with having enough employees in the store to make customers feel appreciated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Starter Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeet new people and gain knowledge

ConsThe pay was not worth the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to keep your employee's happy too.

Low pay, high stress.

Food Clerk (Current Employee) Fairfield, CA (US)

Pros-Nice co-workers
    -Was able to get a lot of hours (even though I was listed as part time I was getting forty hours a week)
    -Union
    -Can get a lot of experience
    -Good first job

Cons-Poor training
    -Low pay and hard to get pay raises
    -Bad management
    -A lot of demoralized workers

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more help and treat your current workers better.

Stressful.

ProsFlexible work schedules. There are some great people that work for Safeway.

ConsLow pay and high demands. Lack of courage of upper management to admit there are not enough hours to get the job done properly. Lack of courage from the leadership to be honest and straight forward with employees. They tell employees there are no plans to close stores because of the merger. They told us not long ago Albertsons, even after they were bought out, had a bleak future to now they have made such a miraculous turn around because they picked up a wash cloth and cleaned their stores in 2006.

Advice to Senior ManagementCourage isn't just being able to beat people down but admit when you are wrong. Stop the wasteful spending on store visits and reinvest those dollars into labor at ground zero. This not the year to allow people to justify their existence by visiting stores because it has never been more obvious than what is happening now.

Overworked, Underpaid, with Daily Harassment

Bookkeeper (Current Employee)

ProsThe Union sets rules that keep corporate/management from outright abusing their employees. We also get health benefits. A lot of co-workers make great friends and become "part of your family," in a way.

ConsWe work way too hard for too little pay. Managers frequently give terrible schedules, either cutting everyone's hours or flipping people's daily hours around so they have to keep changing their sleep schedule multiple times a week. Technology is outdated and frequently breaks or glitches, causing stress for both employees and customers. Safeway keeps pushing the whole "world class service" but makes it difficult for employees to deliver when there aren't enough people scheduled and all the customers are yelling at us because they have to wait in line. If customers become verbally abusive, management often solves the problem by giving them free stuff (and occasionally berating the employees). We are often given conflicting orders and get chewed out by someone no matter what we do. Morale is low and people frequently call in sick or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's well known that management gets a bonus at the end of the year if they cut enough employee hours. I get that they want the money (we all do), but this is causing considerable harm to both the employees and the business itself.

Low Salary High Stress Work Environment

Inventory Control (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThe people were really nice(staff members). Management is pretty lax except when they have a deadline to meet or district managers were coming in to inspect then they were very tough on everyone

ConsAlmost no pay raises for me, sometimes they put extra shifts on me when I was already covering because some employees were calling in

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions are not easy to get and you really have to stick your head out there just to be noticed, I would advise management to ease up on some staff members

Okay.

Vons Starbucks Supervisor (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA (US)

ProsMake your own schedule, interact with cool people, some days are easy.

ConsCustomers, Too much paperwork, corporate visitors every few weeks, not enough pay for what we do.

Opportunities to grow with the company

Training Generalist (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGreat staff, leadership, career advancement opportunities, large operating area, opportunities to go back to school with financial help from the organization and diverse job opportunities.

Conscompensation, unwillingness to change and high pressure. Retail grocery is a tough industry with such limited ability to mark up products that affect the bottom line. You can be successful in this environment only if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees as much as you can even though you may not be able to do anything about what they are requesting or need. Also, more emphasis on front end hours- although that is nothing new.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!