Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,172 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 46 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall not bad, but store management was non-existent

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Spokane Valley, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Spokane Valley, WA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my job and the hours for the position were perfect.

Cons

Minimum wage, mandatory union (dues are high for the wages you make), management was very uninvolved which left a lot of issues unresolved and employees feeling frustrated and undervalued. They were constantly pushing for more production, but didn't acknowledge the huge boost I had given the department compared to the last person in my position.

Get involved with your store and your associates, notice the people that make a difference. Even a simple, "(Department) is looking good this morning" as you walk through would go a long way.

Good opportunity initially however company is now under a merger

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experience a variety of projects and always busy

Cons

Too political and management is not always interested in new ideas to better processes

Take time to listen to your employees they may have some relevant idea

Dynamic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment. Given opportunities to grow. Learned many new things. Made good friends.

Cons

It would be great to enhance the benefits package.

Advice to new Albertson's management: Communication is key to maintaining employee trust. Especially during an acquisition.

I'm sure there are worse places to work.

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The general work environment was well-structured. You knew what was expected and you did it.
    They give proper training. Not that it's a hard job, but you didnt have to figure it out on your own.
    Accessible management. There was always someone in management around to help in a pinch.

Cons

Ridiculous rules. My store had a rule where you had to say "hello, can I help you?" or something like that to every customer you make eye contact with. So, of course, every employee on the floor would purposefully walk quickly and ignore every customer. And that was just one of the rules they had that negatively impacted how you'd interact with customers.
    Working as a barista at Starbucks, they wouldnt let us accept tips. At least 3 times a day I got in a tiff with a customer just to get them to keep their money.
    Union dues were expensive. Working 15 hours a week, I had to pay 45 dollars per month for a bunch of benifits that hardly applied to my city.
    Little room to be promoted. Most people worked for years and years before seeing a pay raise, and even then only once they got promoted to something different.
    They posted the schedule only two days before it came into effect. It was hard to plan anything without having to ask for it off several weeks in advance.

Pay attention to how your rules impact customer service. Just because something sounds good in theory doesnt make it a good idea.

Great place if you're looking to settle for longer term, have family/kids/other priorities

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Great work/life balance - most people are gone by 4-5pm, and even earlier sometimes on Fridays.
    Jeans day on Friday, Jersey days...more relaxed than other corporate environments

Cons

As with any big companies, there is bureaucracy. Work can get boring, esp at the lower levels. Cubicles, artificial lighting are depressing at times in the main building but the other buildings are more 'cheerful'

fun coworkers, tiring job. I loved working with the people i met at work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with the people i worked with was fun. The manager was cool too. not bad

Cons

Salary. Well it's a safeway, what do you expect. I help customers find stuff... clean....get yelled at....

Good

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

BadIt was a good experience

Cons

It was a good experience

Keep it up

Great company but is changing

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Safeway (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company nice place to work

Cons

Being sold
    Unsure of future opportunities

Cut costs too top heavy

Not possible to make a living but good for what it is.

Current Employee - Checker in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Checker in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and customers, employee discount, lots of flexibility given in dealing with customers.

Cons

Inconsistent hours and shifts, abysmal pay scale, not very rewarding, not letting people out for needed breaks, shifts are either super short or way too long, registers are out-dated and frustrating for workers and customers.

More communication between managers in different departments, and at least try and make some effort to keep a stable schedule for individual employees. Back to back late night followed by early morning shifts are killer. Always ALWAYS have someone on the floor with a manager override card for when the registers inevitably mess up.

Unsure at this time

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love working in the Bay Area
    Lots of Benefits. Gym on site. Healthy lifestyle encouraged and Life balance is a must.
    Vey Family friendly and great folks to work with.
    Collaborative.

Cons

Changes are coming.
    Not sure how things will shake out.

Offer the good employee an opportunity to stay in the site they like. This venture will change the culture that was just starting to be very positive.