Sage Hospitality

www.sagehospitality.com

Sage Hospitality Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Walter L. Isenberg

Good

Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsLots of rooms for advancement, Education assitance,Healthcare benefits,flexible schedule

Conspay is little low, annual incentives is too small,

Great Company with Open Ideas

Sales & Marketing (Current Employee) Missoula, MT (US)

ProsCompany believes in supporting the local community along with the individual.

Conspossibly getting "too big, too fast" and making unfavorable movement with senior management.

Poor compensation compared to market, Technical management lacks leadership and team building ability

ProsCompany works in a "fun" vertical, they have good team building events, and most of the people there are nice and genuinely care

ConsLeadership, especially in the technical areas, is very weak. Not good communicators, lack skills necessary to properly manage employees and build a team, and has very shallow technical acumen, resulting in poor decision making and heavy reliance on external consultants. Poorly run organization overall. Lastly, tech management did not understand how to successfully build nor operate a technical infrastructure, resulting in the business not funding infrastructure, which caused massive instability and a company relying on 10 year old technology to provide services to its user base.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sadly lacking in professional corporate management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRange of properties provide opportunities for individuals growing their career and willing to relocate.

ConsInconsistent communication between corporate personnel and property management. A much higher degree of politically based promotion than I've experienced with any other corporation I have been involved with. this, unfortunately, results in people who are not qualified being in key decision making positions incorporating the 'cya'
    modis operandi.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the commitment to hire and promote managerial personnel, both property and corporate level, based on objective criteria, knowledge and skill, as opposed to personal relationships. Commit to clear, honest, straight forward communication. Then breathe both in and throughout the organization.

Do not trust this company!

ProsI like my property and GM. We are one of the best hotels in this town but our management company is terrible. They forced a HORRIBLE sales person on us who cannot do her job. It is more like a favor to someone to give her a job.

ConsThe corporate and middle management never tell you the truth about what is going on. They will lie about your benefits when your property transitions over to Sage. If your hotel or restaurant is going to Sage, QUIT NOW!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to things at the LOCAL level, not a broad spectrum business plan.

Great

Director (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsCompany really has it together, from there revenue management systems to their benefits they really understand the industry. Benefits, salary, and systems are great.

ConsI didn't have any challenges, unfortunately the hotel they were managing was sold with a new management. I wouldn't have left the company unless it was sold.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, I loved this company.

The only way you can work under Butler is if you are easy on the eyes and have a large chest

General Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsSage has such fantastic potential. They really do have a great corporate culture and most of upper management is there to support the hotels.

ConsAs the flip of the pros, some of upper management is awful. They were probably great hotel managers at one time, but they aren't good managers of managers. Support is given to favorites. (I know it happens in many places) but it truly is bad here.
    Sage also wants to have a great vision of the future. But they change their mind A Lot. First is it growth, then it is growth in full service, then it is growth in restaurants, then it is growth in boutique, not it is what ever they can get their hands on again. They should be call the Fad group because all they want is what is currently popular.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction. Be good at it!
    Be good to everyone on your "Bus". Get to know your teams, and don't judge people on the surface.
    Walter, work on your handshake. Your hand feels like a dead fish when you shake it. Be a man and shake hands like you mean it.

overworked under paid

Engineering (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

Prosgreat hotel to hotel benefits for employees friends and family which include air travel and food across the nation for those that can afford it!

Consall workers should share the same work load, day workers have too easy!!and complimentary shows and tickets should be handed out fair and not just to the front desk personell

Advice to Senior Managementfollow the mission statement and advise, re-train managers to be on much happier and professional state of mind behind closed doors!

Great culture, good leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsSage's culture is defined and driven by a set of well-communicated values but mostly by Walter Isenberg, the CEO. Walter is legendary for being a good human being, for caring about people and for understanding that talent is everything in a service business. He has hired other leaders who understand this. They apply best practices when it comes to talent management and it shows.

ConsSage's challenge is to invest in the necessary infrastructure - technology and operations and staffing - to support their growth and ensure the effectiveness of their people. Ensuring that all properties managed by them are run with the same values, the same employee experience and with the same quality of operational execution is also a big challenge, just like all hotel and restaurant management companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee "Cons" section above.

Typical Corporate American Bureaucracy

So Called "full Time" = HOURLY (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsIt beats working at Walmart

ConsTypical manipulation within American bureaucracy. The top level reap rewards whilst the laymen are stripped of quality of life and living and made to believe a measly compensation is considered "competitive".

Advice to Senior ManagementTop level - shame on you for your blatant striping of dignity and quality of life through viable employment of your workers. Middle management - shame on you for settling on your mediocre bribes and promises, you are still taking advantage of the hardest workers who provide the bread and butter of your industry.

Worked for Sage Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!