Sage Hospitality

Walter L. Isenberg

Great

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany really has it together, from there revenue management systems to their benefits they really understand the industry. Benefits, salary, and systems are great.

ConsI didn't have any challenges, unfortunately the hotel they were managing was sold with a new management. I wouldn't have left the company unless it was sold.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, I loved this company.

The only way you can work under Butler is if you are easy on the eyes and have a large chest

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSage has such fantastic potential. They really do have a great corporate culture and most of upper management is there to support the hotels.

ConsAs the flip of the pros, some of upper management is awful. They were probably great hotel managers at one time, but they aren't good managers of managers. Support is given to favorites. (I know it happens in many places) but it truly is bad here.
Sage also wants to have a great vision of the future. But they change their mind A Lot. First is it growth, then it is growth in full service, then it is growth in restaurants, then it is growth in boutique, not it is what ever they can get their hands on again. They should be call the Fad group because all they want is what is currently popular.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction. Be good at it!
Be good to everyone on your "Bus". Get to know your teams, and don't judge people on the surface.
Walter, work on your handshake. Your hand feels like a dead fish when you shake it. Be a man and shake hands like you mean it.

Great culture, good leadership

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSage's culture is defined and driven by a set of well-communicated values but mostly by Walter Isenberg, the CEO. Walter is legendary for being a good human being, for caring about people and for understanding that talent is everything in a service business. He has hired other leaders who understand this. They apply best practices when it comes to talent management and it shows.

ConsSage's challenge is to invest in the necessary infrastructure - technology and operations and staffing - to support their growth and ensure the effectiveness of their people. Ensuring that all properties managed by them are run with the same values, the same employee experience and with the same quality of operational execution is also a big challenge, just like all hotel and restaurant management companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee "Cons" section above.

overworked under paid

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat hotel to hotel benefits for employees friends and family which include air travel and food across the nation for those that can afford it!

Consall workers should share the same work load, day workers have too easy!!and complimentary shows and tickets should be handed out fair and not just to the front desk personell

Advice to Senior Managementfollow the mission statement and advise, re-train managers to be on much happier and professional state of mind behind closed doors!

Typical Corporate American Bureaucracy

So Called "full Time" = HOURLY (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time

ProsIt beats working at Walmart

ConsTypical manipulation within American bureaucracy. The top level reap rewards whilst the laymen are stripped of quality of life and living and made to believe a measly compensation is considered "competitive".

Advice to Senior ManagementTop level - shame on you for your blatant striping of dignity and quality of life through viable employment of your workers. Middle management - shame on you for settling on your mediocre bribes and promises, you are still taking advantage of the hardest workers who provide the bread and butter of your industry.

Sage Hospitality offers opportunities for it's employees, however, positions are low paying for management.

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* growing company
* innovated ideas
* opportunities in certain positions for advancement

Cons* The HR Department has tools to use for managers, however, at the hotels they are not implemented. It depends on the GM of the hotel.

* Hiring of managers is not fair, it's based on who you know. The GM looks at hiring the least expensive person to the job versus the most talent & experienced person.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favoritism. Give raises to your management staff. It was over 5 years until receiving a raise that was very minimal.

Upward mobility, but little work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking for a hotel management company that manages franchised hotels is advantageous to working at a corporate property in many ways. Primarily, there is more ability to move talent up through the ranks quickly and there is more flexibility to make local budget decisions. I felt empowered working for Sage - in that I could speak my mind and have my opinions valued by leadership team members. Management compensation is average for hotel management. I also recall having a decent benefits package.

ConsI worked for a division of this company that no longer exists, and as a result my position was eliminated. The company grew too quickly, with no SOPs, and did not see the ROI needed to sustain the pace. The other side of the coin of being able to be promoted faster, is the side where there's not as much reserve to support the hard times. My criticism isn't so much with the cutting back of staff during economic downturns - I understand business and sometimes that is necessary. However, the way it was done at the property where I worked was a few people at a time, then a couple months later, a few more, etc. It created an environment of tension and paranoia, as no one knew who might be next.

Horrible Management, Immature Staff

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
Westlake, OH (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than a year

ProsThe guests are great to work with! You do wear a lot of hats there!

ConsYou wear so many hats because you have to react, instead of being proactive. Mgmt sits in their office and you forge their signature on audit documents. Perhaps it's different in the Denver office but this facility is flying by the seat of their pants. Treat your employees with respect; get back to them when they email you regarding potential problems or issues. Think before you act; anticipate in order to be proactive instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off at the last minute and being reactive. Make sure the rules apply to EVERYONE.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Recognize your employees. Look at their work and give raises based on that instead of whether or not the employees are breathing while they're there.

Stay Away

Housekeeper/Front Desk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is not a single pro to this company.

ConsEverything is not a strong enough word. No one is treated with any respect. Personal lives become impossible. I LITERALLY was told I cannot participate in selling contests anymore because I win too much and "ruin the fun of the contest"

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example rather than being so snotty.
Don't lie to employees when they start working there.
Put people in "the right seats on the bus" by getting to know them rather than a first impression in an interview and then never taking to them again. Management should be PRESENT

Doesn't live up to their reputation.

Night Audit (Former Employee)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time for less than a year

ProsPolicy prevents them from firing an employee without having 3 write-ups first.

ConsIf you get sick or can't work fulltime, they'll politely ask you to put in your two weeks to get the time off you need to heal and then you can re-apply, instead of just giving you the time off you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your employees and listen to what they have to say. Train all front desk agents in Night Audit.

Worked for Sage Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sage Hospitality reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sage Hospitality CEO Walter L. Isenberg. All 43 reviews are posted anonymously by Sage Hospitality employees.